Forrest Gump’s Lowcountry | Film Locations

26 years ago, but just like yesterday!

Forrest Gump may have been filmed over 26 years ago (in and around Beaufort), but the movie has not diminished in popularity. We often get visitors into the welcome center at Frampton Plantation House that are eager to see the local movie locations. The movie was set in Greenbow, Alabama, but was actually filmed, for the most part, in the SC Lowcountry and Savannah. Several locations are not too far from our visitors center at I-95, Exit 33 and Hwy 17. MAP TO LOCATIONS.

During the movie, Forrest is compelled to go to the Four Square Gospel Church to pray for shrimp. These scenes were filmed in the tiny area of McPhersonville, at Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel (155 McPhersonville Rd.) This church was built in 1833 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

From Frampton Plantation, turn right onto Hwy. 17 and proceed north for 1.4 miles. Turn left onto Hwy 21/ 17-A towards Walterboro. Travel 5 miles, then slow down when you see the Harold’s Country Club sign. Turn left just before this locally famous restaurant onto Pocotaligo Rd. Continue 4.2 miles until you see Sheldon Chapel on the right. (This isn’t the church from the movie, but it is also historically significant.) Turn just before it and proceed slightly farther. The road ends at the church.  

To visit the town where Forrest grew up, head to Varnville, SC. Return to Pocotaligo Rd. and turn left. Travel 11.2 miles miles, then turn right onto Main St. When the road ends, turn right onto Hwy. 278/Gray’s Hwy. Continue for 4.1 miles. The road merges with SC 68. Continue to the left. Once you enter Varnville, turn right onto Main St.

The Gump House is no longer standing. It was built specifically for the movie. Since it was hastily built (not to code) it was dismantled after production. The entrance is still visible. It is on the 8,000-acre Bluff Plantation property. It only took two months to build the house, and only a handful of rooms were finished for filming.  Turn left from Main St. and travel down SC Hwy. 68 for 15.1 miles. Take a slight right onto Connely St. in Yemassee for .2 miles. Turn left onto Hwy 17-A and follow it for 3.6 miles. Next turn right onto Combahee Rd. The entrance will be 5.3 miles further at 3547 Combahee Rd. This property is privately owned, so please be respectful. Jenny’s house was also built on this property but was destroyed for the film.

The setting for Greenbow’s elementary school is the former Walterboro Academy. It now serves as the Colleton Civic Center. (506 East Washington Street, Walterboro.) This was the setting for the principle’s explanation of Forrest’s intelligence testing scores.  From Bluff Plantation, return 5.3 miles to Hwy 17-A and turn right. Travel toward Walterboro for 11.5 miles. Take a slight right onto S. Jeffries Blvd. In 1.8 miles turn right onto Hampton St. The destination will be .4 miles away on the right.

After you leave this scene, head to Beaufort via Hwy 21/Carteret St. The Woods Memorial Bridge connects Beaufort to Lady’s Island. This is the scene for the running bridge interview. This is not the mighty Mississippi, but the Beaufort River. This historic swing bridge connects Beaufort to the sea islands. It is one of a handful of swing bridges that still exist in the state. It’s also the home of the annual “Run, Forrest Run 5K”.

The house where Bubba lived is next on the tour. Continue across the bridge and just over a mile. Turn left at the light onto Sam’s Point Rd. Keep going through the traffic circle (take the second exit). Stay on Sam’s Point Rd. for six miles. Turn left onto Alston Rd. 145 Alston Rd. will be on the right. This 1,240 square foot house was built in 1940. Bubba’s grave site was constructed in the back yard. This is a private residence. Please be respectful. The water adjacent to the house is the Lucy Point Creek. That’s where the majority of the shrimp boat scenes.

Bubba’s momma was played by Dr. Marlena Smalls. This classically trained soprano founded Beaufort’s Gullah Festival and the Hallelujah Singers. Her singers were also featured in the movie. She is well-known for using music and stories to educate others about Lowcountry Gullah customs and beliefs.

To visit the Vietnam war scenes, return down Sam’s Point Rd. and back to Hwy 21. Turn left onto Hwy 21/Sea Island Pkwy. As you drive toward Hunting and Fripp Islands, notice the march and waterways. They should look familiar. You will also pass Gay Fish Company on the right. They supplied all the shrimp for the movie.

Their dock is also where Forrest paints ”Jenny” on his boat. The Gay Seafood boat “Miss Hilda” can be seen in the background of that scene. Docked shrimp boats paint a beautiful scene. Travel for 16.8 miles. You will drive past the entrance to Hunting Island State Park.

The boardwalk will be on the right. Park and walk along the boardwalk while you’re here. The war rescue scene that earns Forrest a medal happened inside the park at the lagoon.

The Ocean Creek Golf Course at Fripp Island was also the location for war scenes. The mountains and larger palm trees were added by special effects.

For more information on fun attractions in the SC Lowcountry visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/.

Movie images are screen shots from the film.

Read More

Military History is Preserved at the Yemassee Recruit Depot Station

Artwork near Yemassee’s Amtrack Station Honors Marine Recruit Depot History

yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot
yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot
The Folded Flag, by Sophie Docalavich, 2020.

A second installation of artwork has popped up near the Yemassee Amtrack Station. The mural, entitled “The Folded Flag” was positioned along the fence line that formerly bordered the Marine Recruit Depot barracks.

yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot
Where heroes Stood, by Sophie Dacalavich was installed in 2019.

The artwork compliments work that was installed in 2019. Artist Sophie Docalavich of Estill, SC was commissioned to paint both murals to honor the many marine recruits that made a brief stop in Yemassee before heading to Parris Island for basic training.

More than 500,000 marine recruits rode the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad to Yemassee’s Marine Recruit Depot between 1915 and 1965. These recruits began their military career in the Yemassee barracks before heading to Parris Island for basic training. During this time, Yemassee had a bank, general store, and hotel complete with ballroom.

Depending on the time of day, new marine recruits would either be processed and sent directly to Parris Island or spend their first night in the Yemassee barracks. When ready, recruits boarded the Charleston & Western Railroad and made the next leg of their journey to Port Royal. Prior to 1928, recruits would be loaded onto ferry boats, barges, long boats, or small motorboats to cross the river onto Parris Island.

With all the activity in Yemassee, the town saw the construction of a soda fountain and several brick buildings in 1926. The town continued to grow and by 1932, Yemassee had over 30 buildings including a Greyhound Bus Station.

During World War II Yemassee continued to grow with the addition of barracks to house incoming recruits. 250,000 recruits (including women) began WWII marine training in Yemassee. The town became so popular that Life Magazine visited in 1942. Photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt created a photographic essay of the town entitled, “Life Spends a Day at Yemassee Junction”. Seven pages of photographs were published. He described Yemassee as “a railroad junction not too big to be confusing, not too small to be trivial.” The marine depot was still active during the Korean War, when as many as 350 new recruits would arrive daily.

yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot
Photo from Town of Yemassee.

In 1965 the Marine Corps terminated their lease with the Atlantic Coast Railroad Company. The receiving facility and barracks were returned to the railroad company as well. Recruits were then flown into Charleston and bused to Parris Island. This change ended the 50-year association with the railroad and the town of Yemassee.

yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot
Yemassee Marine Recruit Depot as it looked in its early days. Photo from Town of Yemassee.
yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot
A later renovation changed the roofline. 2011 photo by Big Daddy Dave.
yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot
Recent renovations transformed the station to its former glory.

After falling into disrepair, the historic Yemassee train station has been beautifully restored by the Yemassee Revitalization Corporation. The town purchased the train station in 2010 from CSX for $1 and launched a restoration campaign. While restoring the building, the team also raised funds to expand a brick memorial and garden on the site of the former marine barracks. Flags fly high over the site paying homage to the marine corps and the country.

yemassee train station,
yemassee marine recruit depot

For more information on the SC Lowcountry visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/.

Read More

The Lowcountry Revolutionary Trail

Follow the Revolutionary War path of Dr. Uzal Johnson as he traveled the Lowcountry.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

The Lowcountry Revolutionary Trail winds through Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper Counties. It follows the path of Dr. Uzal Johnson of the New Jersey Volunteers during the Revolutionary War.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

Dr. Johnson, a loyal American volunteer spent time in the Lowcountry during the spring of 1780. He witnessed skirmishes at Ft. Balfour, Saltketcher’s Bridge, McPherson’s Plantation, and the Battle of Coosawhatchie. You can retrace his footsteps and see what remains of the sites.

Frampton Plantation House Gazebo
  1. Start your Lowcountry Revolutionary War journey at Frampton Plantation House gazebo. Located behind the house, the gazebo contains a map of the sites and information about the trail. Come inside the visitors center if you have any questions, or need directions. We will be happy to help you with this journey. Frampton Plantation House is located behind the Marathon Gas Station in Point South 698 Kings Highway (Hwy. 17),
    843-717-3090.
lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

The first stop is the location of the Battle of Coosawhatchie (Hwy 17 at the Coosawhatchie River bridge). On May 3, 1774 Lt. Col. John Laurens and 250 men were in position on a slight rise near the bridge at Coosawhatchie. They were guarding the road against the expected assault by about 2,400 British soldiers from Savannah. Against orders, Laurens and his men crossed the river and formed a line for battle. With many of the soldiers and Laurens himself wounded, they fell back to the Tullifinny River, about two miles east.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

2. Look for the Lowcountry Revolutionary War Trail marker on the eastern side of Highway 17 near the Coosawhatchie River bridge, and in front of the Second African Baptist Church, 6904 W. Frontage Rd.(Hwy 17). The sign bears an excerpt from Dr. Johnson’s journal stating, “Despite the defeat at Port Royal Island, General Prevost was determined to make a second attempt to capture Charleston. Instead of a small detachment of 150 men, this time he crossed the Savannah River with 2,400 British regulars, and once again, William Moultrie stood in his way. This time, however, Moultrie was outnumbered 2 to 1. He determined to make a stand on a slight ridge at the Tullifiny River, about 2 miles east of the Coosawhatchie River, where he left about 200 men to guard the crossing and warn him of the Redcoats arrival. As the enemy drew near, Moultrie was about to send as aide to pull these troops back to the main force when Col. John Laurens offered to lead them back. Moultrie had so much confidence in the officer that he sent along 250 men to help cover the flanks. In direct disobedience of orders Laurens crossed the river and formed the men in line for battle. He failed to take the high ground and his men suffered greatly from well placed enemy fire. Laurens himself was wounded, and his second in command fell back to the main force at the Tullifinny, where Moultrie was compelled to retreat towards Charleston.” Excerpt from South Carolina’s Revolutionary War Battlefields A Tour Guide.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

3. From here, Dr. Johnson headed to the home of Isaac McPherson, who was described by the doctor as “a great (Revolutionary) Rebel, a man of property. British soldiers occupied the McPherson Plantation March 14-17 while trying to track down 50 Americans on horseback. During the occupation, the British engaged in what they thought was a skirmish with the Americans. They were mistaken and attacked their own troops instead.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

The historical marker is located beside the Sheldon Chapel, 25481 Pocotaligo Rd. in McPhersonville. It reads, “Tuesday 14th March 1780 – At four o’clock in the afternoon, Col. Ferguson and part of the American Volunteers and twenty men in the British Legion proceeded nine miles to McPherson’s Plantation. We got to Isaac McPherson’s at nine o’clock. Fifty Rebels on horseback had just left this and gone to John McPherson’s. A party of ours pursued them but could not overtake them.

Wednesday 15th March 1780 – Still at McPherson’s Plantation foraging parties get everything that is needed for the Army.

Thursday 16th March 1780 – Lay at McPherson’s living off the fat of the land, the soldiers every side of us roasting turkeys, geese, fowl, ducks, pigs, and everything in great plenty. This McPherson is a great Rebel, a man of property and at present is in Charles Town.” Excerpt from the Diary of Dr. Uzal Johnson, Surgeon.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

4. The British left McPherson’s Plantation on March 18, 1780 and marched to the crossing of the Saltketcher (now the Salkehatchie) River, where a bridge had stood before the beginning of the war. They were met by 80 American militiamen who tried to prevent their crossing. The British Light Infantry crossed the river below this spot and came up behind the Americans. A captain and 16 privates were bayoneted to death by the British, who then spent the night at nearby Ogilvy’s Plantation.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

The historic sign is located at the boat ramp on Hwy 17-A on the Salkehatchie River, just outside Yemassee. It states, “Saturday 18th March 1780 – Got in motion eight o’clock in the morning and marched ten miles to the Saltketcher. Major Lordson with eighty militiamen placed themselves on the north side of the river to oppose our crossing. They were opposed by the British Legion returning their fire at a place where the bridge formerly stood, while the light Infantry and remainder of the Legion crossed the river below and came in their rear before they knew of it. Here the bayonet was introduced. A Capt. Mills and sixteen privates of the (Revolutionary) Rebels were killed, four badly wounded and one made prisoner that luckily escaped the bayonet.

Sunday 19th March 1780 – Passed Saltketcher River that place where the bridge stood.”
Excerpt from the Diary of Uzal Johnson, Surgeon.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

5. In the fall of 1780, the British built an earth and palisade fort to maintain control of Beaufort and protect the King’s Highway (Hwy 17) between Savannah and Charleston.  Ft. Balfour was built at the key crossroad at Pocotaligo and named for the British commander of occupied Charleston. In April of 1781 Col. William Harden was detached from Gen. Francis Marion’s Brigade with 100 men. On April 14 Harden convinced old friends from Beaufort who were in command of Ft. Balfour that he had more troops than he did and that they should surrender. They believed him and did. Learning that British soldiers were on the way from Charleston, Harden and his men burned the garrison.

lowcountry revolutionary war trail, sc

No one is quite sure of the fort’s exact location today, but the marker is places alongside the marsh of the Pocotaligo River at 2 Trask Parkway (Hwy. 17), beside the Family Worship Center Church. It reads, “In order to maintain control of the Beaufort District and protect communications on the King’s Highway, an earth and palisade fort was built on the high ground between Coosawhatchie and Pocotaligo bridges: the strategic crossroads of the Southern Parishes. This fort was named for the commander of the British garrison at Charleston during the fall of 1780, Lt. Col. Nisbet Balfour, one of the most disliked officers in South Carolina.” Excerpt from the Diary of Uzal Johnson, Surgeon.

Locating these historic spots and reading the journal entries of Dr. Johnson gives visitors the chance to reflect on how intensely our forefathers fought for the freedoms that we enjoy today. Let your gaze wander the landscape where these brave men engaged in battle and fought valiantly to protect us.

For more information on attractions in the SC Lowcountry visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/.

Read More

Explore Nature Trails and Wildlife Preserves

Lowcountry Outdoors
Wildlife biologist Charles Pinckney enjoys birding in the SC Lowcountry. Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Exploring SC Lowcountry Parks is a great way to get outdoors! During these stressful times, it is important for us to maintain our connection with nature. While we’re all social distancing and staying home, it’s a good idea to get outdoors and soak up sunshine and fresh air. If we take precautions and listen to the guidelines put in place by our leaders, exploring a park is just what the doctor ordered! Colleton, Beaufort, Hampton and Jasper Counties have a multitude of outdoor possibilities to connect with nature. For additional information and maps of these properties visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/wildlife-preserves-and-nature-trails/.

Colleton County and Walterboro have some wonderful parks and wildlife management areas. Whether you want to stretch your legs or take a scenic car ride, these natural wonders have something for everyone.

South Carolina Nature Trail in Lowcountry
ACE Trail image found on Friends of the Ace Trail website.

The ACE Trail is located two miles north of the intersection of Hwy 17 and SC HWY 303 in Green Pond. This trail runs along the abandoned Atlantic Coast Railroad Line that parallels SC Hwy 303. This trail is currently 2.8 miles, but another extension is planned soon. The trail is ideal for walking, biking and bird watching. The trail head has picnic tables and plenty of space for parking.

Colleton State Park bordering Edisto River
Colleton State Park borders the Edisto River. Image found on southcarolinastateparks.com.

Colleton State Park borders the Edisto River. Here, you’ll find a short, easy walking loop trail that travels along the river. Signs are placed along the trail to help you identify a variety of trees and plants, including Cypress trees. While here, look for birds, deer, turtles and other wildlife. The park can be found at 147 Wayside Lane, Walterboro – just a few miles off I-95.(843)538-8206

ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge
The ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge is home to a large variety of wildlife. Image by Hometown Hiker.

Ernest F. Hollings ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge has trails that weave through the forest and across dikes of a historic rice plantation. The refuge also has one of the few remaining antebellum houses in the area. This refuge protects the largest undeveloped estuary along the Atlantic Coast. The area is home to a wide variety of wildlife. The refuge is located at 8675 Willtown Road, Hollywood, SC, on the way to Edisto Beach. (843)889-3084

Bear Island Wildlife Management Area
Bear Island Wildlife Management Area is a great place to look for bald eagles.
Photo by Rhonda McFadden Epper.

Bear Island Wildlife Management Area is located off Hwy 17 in the Green Pond area. This wma is managed to provide quality habitat for wintering waterfowl. It’s a great spot to view bald eagles, wood storks and roseate spoonbills. Drive through this area for many opportunities to spot wildlife. The forest, marsh and river views are beautiful. Bear Island is located between the Asheepoo and S Edisto Rivers. From Hwy 17, turn onto Bennett’s Point Road and follow for 13 miles. The entrance is on TiTi Road. (843)844-8957

Donnelley Wildlife Management Area
Former rice fields at Donnelley Wildlife Management Area are breeding grounds for American alligators. Photo by William Purcell.

Donnelley Wildlife Management Area has more than 8,000 acres of diverse wildlife habitats. This property features a historic rice field system that is now managed to attract waterfowl and migratory birds. The former rice plantation is nestled between the Combahee and Asheepoo Rivers. All types of wildlife can be found here. There are 11 miles of roads that can be driven through the property. There are also walking trails that lead to dikes that cross old rice fields. Herons, egrets, ibises and many more varieties of birds can be found on this freshwater wetland. Located at 585 Donnelley Drive in Green Pond. The entrance is at the intersection of US Hwy 17 and SC Hwy 303. (843)844-8957

Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary
The Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary is in the heart of historic Walterboro. Photo by walterborosc.org.

Just three minutes of I-95, the Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary is a great place to get back to nature. There are trails for hiking, biking and even canoeing. This wildlife sanctuary is in the heart of downtown Walterboro. Parking can be accessed on DeTreville Street.  Boardwalks lead through a braided creek with a diversity of wildlife that inhabit the black water bottomland. (843)538-4353

Botany Bay South Carolina
The drive into Botany Bay is one of the most photographed live oak avenues in the Lowcountry. Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Botany Bay Plantation Wildlife Management Area can be found on the way to Edisto Beach. This wildlife management area borders the Atlantic Ocean and the North Edisto River.
Beach access is closed until further notice, but the remainder of the property is open. Drive through this undeveloped wetland ecosystem, then park to walk trails located throughout the property. The remains of two plantations can be explored here. You can even trailer in horses and go for a ride along the many roads of Botany Bay. The entrance to the property is one of the most photographed live oak canopies in the lowcountry. Many varieties of birds and wildlife call this coastal property home. (843)844-8957

Baby Raccoons South Carolina State Parks
These baby raccoons make a home in a hollow tree. Photo found on southcarolinaparks.com.

Edisto Beach State Park is located on the beach and its adjacent maritime forest. The park has seven trails that are available for hiking, biking and birding. The trails wind through the forest and past the earliest Native American shell mound site in the state. A series of short, mostly level hikes travel through Edisto Island’s maritime forest of live oak, hanging Spanish moss, and palmetto trees. During your walk you may see white-tailed deer, osprey, raccoons, or alligators, and may even catch a glimpse of the wary bobcats.

Spanish Moss Trail
There are many spots along the Spanish Moss Trail to relax and soak up the views. Image by Carmen Pinckney.

Beaufort’s Spanish Moss Trail is the product of the Lowcountry’s Rails to Trail program. The ten- mile trail follows the path that the railroad took from Yemassee to Parris Island, carrying recruits to the training facility. The rail lines were removed, and the trail was paved for walking, running, biking, fishing, skating, scooting and strolling. The Spanish Moss Trail offers spectacular river and marsh views, and a great opportunity to view wildlife. Historic points are noted along the trail.

Hunting Island State Parks Nature Trail
Hunting Island State Park’s trails stretch across boardwalks and maritime forest. Photo by Scott Densmore.

Hunting Island State Park is located on the beach and its maritime forest. The park has wonderful hiking and biking trails. The park’s walking nature trails provide an opportunity to experience the island’s natural environment. The biking and hiking trail is 8 miles long. The trails lead through the maritime forest, providing scenic views of the lagoon and various wildlife habitats. The trails have dense vegetation that provides protected habitat for many animals including deer, raccoon, owls, hawks and squirrels. Walk the beach to search for shells and shore birds. Bring a picnic and pick from one of the many spots to enjoy lunch.

Strolling Crystal Lake Park in South Carolina
Strolling Crystal Lake is quite an experience. Photo by Jim Ferrell.

Crystal Lake Park can be found just across the bridge on Lady’s Island. This 25 acre park winds through forested habitats, salt marsh and around Crystal Lake. The park has many opportunities for visitors to learn about the Lowcountry’s natural resources. Walk the trail or visit the interpretative center. Be on the look-out for birds and other wildlife that makes the park home. Catch and release fishing can also be done from the docks.
124 Lady’s Island Drive, (843) 255-2152

Cypress Wetlands walking trails
Visiting Cypress Wetlands walking trails gives you the opportunity to see rookery wildlife. Photo by Trover.

Port Royal has two natural habitats to explore that are located relatively close to each other. You can visit both in one day. Cypress Wetlands Walking Trail is located on Paris Ave right off Ribaut Road, with parking on Paris Avenue. There are several species of birds that call this place home including herons, hawks, eagles, owls, falcons, geese, ducks, and other migratory waterfowl. It is absolutely a birdwatcher’s paradise. In addition to birds, regular visitors among the cypress trees are alligators, turtles, and snakes.

SC Lowcouontry Wildlife Preserves and Nature Trails
The best views at the Henry Robinson Boardwalk can be found at sun-up and sun-down. Photo by Miles Sanders.

The Henry Robinson Boardwalk is a great place for a stroll. Enjoy the wildlife while walking along the vast waterway. Located on the southern tip of Port Royal, Battery Creek flows into the Beaufort River. Search for shark’s teeth on the sandy beach. Boats and kayaks can be launched from a ramp into the river. The boardwalk is a popular place for strolling, crabbing and fishing. An observation tower is located near the end of the boardwalk. (843)986-2200

SC Lowcouontry Wildlife Preserves and Nature Trails
Victoria Bluff Heritage Preserve is a hidden gem in Bluffton. Photo by Justin P.

Bluffton’s Victoria Bluff Heritage Preserve is located in Bluffton off Hwy 278 on Sawmill Creek Road. Spend a day hiking, bird watching and picnicking. Avoid the preserve during hunting season. The area is used for bow hunting. Birders will want to bring binoculars and keep a sharp eye out, particularly in the spring. The understory thickets are dominated by saw palmetto and a range of evergreens. This habitat is ideal for migratory species such as tanagers, white-eyed vireos and a host of different warblers.  Overhead, massive live oaks, and longleaf and slash pines cast deep shadows on the trail. In no time at all during a midday walk, things get cool and quiet.

SC Lowcouontry Wildlife Preserves and Nature Trails
Audubon Newhall Preserve is in top condition for spring. Photo by Ed Funk.

Hilton Head Island is commonly known for its beaches and golf community, but did you know there are many places to enjoy nature? Audubon Newhall Preserve is located at 55 Palmetto Bay Road. The birds are singing, and the plants and nature trails are in top condition for spring. This woodland ecosystem is known as pine/saw palmetto flatwoods. The preserve has a series of short, easy walking trails through the fifty-acre property. Pick up a trail guide at the entrance which will guide you through a wide variety of trees and plants, from Florida Scrub to native hardwoods. (843)785-5775

SC Lowcouontry Wildlife Preserves and Nature Trails
Coastal Discovery trails offer marsh views and birding opportunities. Photo from museum website.

The Coastal Discovery Museum https://www.coastaldiscovery.org/nature trails are open for walking and picnicking. Tale a leisurely stroll around the 68-acre property. The seashell nature trail leads to Jarvis Creek, and the camellia garden boasts 120 different varieties of bloom and color. (843-689-6767)

SC Lowcouontry Wildlife Preserves and Nature Trails
Jarvis Creek Park walking paths circle the lake and through the woods. Photo by Hendrik Beenker.

Jarvis Creek Park is located at 50 Jarvis Creek Road. The park was closed April 1st but will reopen on May 7th. The park is great freshwater pond fishing. There’s a floating dock and grass meadow. There’s a paved pathway that surrounds the lake and a fitness trail. Call the park for opening date.  (843) 341-4600

SC Lowcouontry Wildlife Preserves and Nature Trails
Egrets love the unspoiled natural habitat of Pinckney Island. Photo by Betsy Arrington.

Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge is located between Hilton Head Island and Bluffton. 4,052 acres that preserve the salt marsh and maritime habitat. The refuge offers a variety of opportunities to explore and enjoy the great outdoors from sunrise to sunset every day. You can observe and photograph wildlife, go fishing, hike or bike the 14-miles of roads that wind across the island. (843) 784-2468

nature trails south carolina
Follow the trail for a glimpse of a historic shell ring. Photo from Google Maps.

Sea Pines Forest Preserve is a protected area for wildlife habitat and outdoor exploration. The preserve includes bridle paths, wetland boardwalks, bridges and fishing docks. Explorers can pick up a map and stroll the trails independently. View marshes and wildlife from a boardwalk at Old Lawton Rice Field. Explore a secluded forest on the boardwalk through the Vanishing Swamp. Discover the 4,000-year-old Sea Pines Shell Ring, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. See acres of native flora in bloom. Enjoy a picnic along the banks of Fish Island. (843) 785-3333

Blue Heron Nature Trail
Turtles, alligators ducks and fish call Blue Heron Nature Trail home. Photo by Lyn Boyles.

Ridgeland’s Blue Heron Nature Trail is a 10-acre green space that has a half-mile trail around a three-acre pond, and forested wetlands. The property also includes a butterfly garden, picnic area, and observation decks. Trail side displays help visitors learn more about the native flora and fauna of Jasper County and the Lowcountry. Exit 21, Ridgeland, (843)726-7611

Lowcountry Wildlife Preserves and Nature Trails
Savannah national Wildlife Refuge has 40 miles of trails to explore. Photo by Nolen Yehlik.

Savannah National Wildlife Refuge is located off US Hwy 17, between Hardeeville and Savannah. Many visitors take the car tour through the former rice plantation, but did you know there are 40 miles of hiking trails through the 7,000-acre refuge? Jasper County’s Savannah National Wildlife Refuge consists of 31,551 acres of freshwater marshes, tidal rivers and creeks, and bottomland hardwoods.  Well-maintained hiking trails wind throughout the refuge, giving hikers and bikers access to these former rice fields. Explore the nearly 40 miles of trails that are built on dikes that contained rice fields dating back to the early 1700’s. (843) 784-2468

South Carolina Wildfire Preserves
Come to Webb Wildlife Management Area to get a glimpse at red-cockaded woodpeckers. Photo by Karen Marts.

Hampton has two great places to get some exercise in the great outdoors. Webb Wildlife Management Area is located off Hwy. 321, bordering the historical Savannah River. The 5,866 acres encompass upland pine stands that host endangered species such as red-cockaded woodpeckers, as well as wildlife openings, bottomland hardwood forests and cypress-tupelo swamps. The property provides excellent viewing of deer, wild turkeys, bobwhite quail, gray squirrel and many types of birds. Several nature trails can be found on the property. Ponds are available for fishing. 1282 Webb Ave, Garnett. (803)625-3569

Birds of Prey South Carolina Lowcountry
Birds of prey search for dinner at Lake Warren State Park. Photo by southcarolinaparks.com

Lake Warren State Park is located in Hampton. The park has three trails for outdoor enthusiasts. The nature trail winds through the woods and around the fishing pond. The fitness trail has 10 exercise stations. The Yemassee Trail follows a path along Lake Warren. Interpretive signs are placed throughout. There are also fishing opportunities at the park. (803)943-5051

SC Lowountry Wildlife

For more information, trail maps and websites to these Lowcountry natural wonders visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/wildlife-preserves-and-nature-trails/

Read More

Hampton’s Art Deco-Influenced Palmetto Theater

palmetto theater hampton sc
History is preserved at the Palmetto Theater. Image found on Wikimedia.

A drive down Hampton’s Lee Avenue brings you to the sight of an architectural treasure. The Palmetto Theater has proudly stool on this spot since 1946. This post-war building was once a social center in the Hampton community. The front features a prominent, ornate marquee with stylized neon lettering and geometric patterns. The theater was designed with a stage which was used for live performances. At full capacity, the theater can seat 450 on the main floor and balcony.

palmetto theater hampton sc
Original neon lights bring the historic theater to life. Photo from SC Dept of Archives and History.

The Palmetto Theater is significant as an example of small-town, southern, 1940s movie theater. The Art Deco- influenced Art Moderne architectural style reflects the social and economic pressures of the post-war period. According to Designing Buildings Wiki, art moderne architecture, “… is an architectural style that developed out of 1930s Art Deco. It was seen as a response to the Great Depression, designing buildings to be more streamlined and austere as opposed to the ambitious, opulent forms of Art Deco. Art Moderne buildings were usually white, and built with stucco, cement and glass.”

palmetto theater hampton sc
This close-up of the marquee shows what the neon tubes look like during the day. Photo by Amy.arch.

According to the National Trust for Historic Preservation application, the Palmetto Theater was, “Built in 1946 by Clarence L. Freeman for its owners T. G. “Mutt” Stanley and Dr. James A. Hayne, Jr., the Palmetto Theatre is significant under Criterion C for its post-war Art Moderne architecture, which reflected the limited availability of construction materials following the war and the influence of regional theater construction. It remains as one of only a small handful of Art Moderne theaters in the state of South Carolina. The theater was restored in 1992 and retains a high degree of architectural integrity. The Palmetto Theatre was the brainchild of T. G. “Mutt” Stanley, a one-time mayor pro tem of Hampton, and Dr. James A. Hayne, Jr., a local physician. Built in a style heavily influenced by the flourishes of the Art Deco Movement that had given birth to so many movie palaces in the larger cities of the south during the 1930s, but technically an example of Art Moderne architecture because of its age and certain architectural elements, the Palmetto might have been considered passé to more cosmopolitan observers, but its design was greeted by the residents of Hampton as “handsome in every detail of its structure and design.”

palmetto theater hampton sc
The Carolina Theater of Allendale (image by Tom Taylor) was the inspiration for the Palmetto Theater (image by Roadarch.com).

The design of the Palmetto Theater was inspired by the Carolina Theater in Allendale. It was built for the bargain price of $45,000. Inside, the downstairs had upholstered seats and a red, white and blue color scheme. The projector was an RCA Brenkert 35mm. It took a full year to construct the theater due to war time construction issues and material delays. The building was constructed of concrete brick and stucco as a result.  According to the National Trust for Historic Preservation application, “Prior to deciding on a design, Stanley and Hayne toured several existing movie theaters and ultimately crafted a look that bears a striking resemblance to the Art Deco-style Carolina Theatre (ca. 1936) in nearby Allendale, South Carolina, including its rectangular mirrored glass brackets around the upper façade and its stunted central pylon (with chevron accents at the Carolina rather than the neon design found at the Palmetto). Design and construction of the building is attributed to Clarence L. Freeman of nearby Varnville.”

palmetto theater hampton sc
The marquee and central pylon have been preserved beautifully. Image by Webrarian.

The front of the theater boasts an ornate pattern made with black glass panels, probably from Carrara glass or Vitrolite. The concrete block wall is covered in stucco. The sides and back have exposed concrete block walls.

palmetto theater hampton sc
Thomas T Faucette captured this image in the 1950s. The Palmetto is seen on the far left.

The Palmetto Theater has been well- preserved and lovingly taken care of. The building was restored in 1992, with modifications and secondary additions, but retains an unusual degree of original architectural integrity.  It is one of the few remaining Art Moderne theaters left in the state. In the above image from 1950, you can see the theater and the traffic of Lee Avenue.

palmetto theater hampton sc
Night-time omage of the Palmetto Theater by Carolina Historical Consulting.

While the Palmetto Theater is a sight to behold during the day, the historic building comes to life at night. The original neon pink and green lights are stunning.

palmetto theater hampton sc
Close-up photo by Amy.arch.

The prominent steel marquee projects over the central entrance with flat sides and a bowed front. The center of the marquee is adorned with a medallioned “P” which is covered in neon at night. Pink and green neon cover various Art Deco inspired chevrons, zig zags, and other geometric patterns. Four rectangular designs in black glass tiles rise toward the center pylon draws your eyes up to a neon adornment that spells out “Palmetto”. More black glass tiles outline the front facade.

palmetto theater hampton sc
The Art Deco influence is highlighted at night by the use of neon. Image from SC Dept of Archives and History.

Aluminum poster windows flank the marque and entrance. The entry leads to two sets of double wooden doors with huge plate glass windows. The ticket window is to the left of the doors.

palmetto theater hampton sc
The second story fire escape and first floor side entrance have been bricked up, but their footprints are still there. Photo by SC Dept of Archives and History.

The left elevation still holds a reminder of the separate first floor entrance and balcony fire escape. Before integration African American patrons used the side entrance and an interior ticket booth to view the movie from the balcony.  The separate entrance and fire escape have been removed, but their components survive to highlight the architectural evidence of segregation that happened throughout the south.

palmetto theater hampton sc
Stage view and back view of the Palmetto Theater. Images bu SC Dept of Archives and History.

The interior theater walls are made of acoustical tiles and still hold the original 6 Art-Deco light sconces. These light fixtures resemble candles sitting on semicircular bases. The unadorned balcony projects slightly over the orchestra. The majority of the balcony area is used for production purposes today. The original projection booth is housed in the back center of the balcony area.

palmetto theater hampton sc
Image from Palmetto Theater Facebook page.

The 1946 arrival of the Palmetto Theater into the social scene changed life in Hampton. The August 12 opening night festivities included an address by Senator George Warren. 550 patrons packed the theater, many in seats added for the special occasion. Movie titles at the Palmetto changed often and included newsreels and cartoons. It also parked a Blue Law controversy. South Carolina Blue Laws prohibited Sunday exhibitions. The operators of the Palmetto challenged this law and found themselves jailed for opening the doors on Sunday, September 10, 1950. Local clergymen expressed outrage. They gathered more than 800 signatures on a petition and presented it to the county. The men were arrested, but the movie continued uninterrupted. Hampton mayor Jim Holland bailed them out twenty minutes later. The theater owners went directly to the press to state their case. They claimed the Blue Laws were ridiculously out of date. Locals wrote the newspaper echoing these feelings. The theater continued to show Sunday movies. This challenge resulted in a social revolution in the county and paved the way for Blue Laws to be changed.

palmetto theater hampton sc
The original ticket booth is still in use today. Image by SC Dept of Archives and History.

The invention of the television in the 1950s, then home video and cable television in the 1980s brought an end to screenings at the Palmetto, and other small movie theaters across the country. Theater doors were closed in 1985. The building sat unused until 1992, when the Hampton County Arts Council purchased it. After extensive renovations, the theater reopened the following year. Dressing rooms and an outdoor courtyard were added. The theater is now used for performing arts productions. The theater is once again the center of community entertainment in Hampton.

Read More

Spanish Moss

The pride of the coastal south

lowcountry spanish moss
savannah national wildlife refuge
Savannah National Wildlife Refuge is a great place to observe nature along the Spanish moss covered wildlife drive.

The South Carolina Lowcountry is draped in Spanish moss, just like the rest of the coastal old south. Sights of Spanish moss evoke childhood memories of spooky nights telling ghost stories with the cousins. My grandfather’s watermelon farm was located just outside Charleston. We would congregate there every summer and spend our days running along fire breaks, playing in the barn and sleeping on the porch. Spanish moss was a big part of these memories. It surrounded us and enveloped our very beings. It became a part of us as we played under the branches of live oaks that were lavishly decorated in the grey bearded plant.

spanish moss
frampton plantation house
Jasper County’s Frampton Plantation house is surrounded by 300 year old live oaks covered in Spanish moss.

Spanish moss is a flowering plant that is neither Spanish, nor a moss. It is a bromeliad that grows hanging from tree branches in a chain-like manner. The plant is particularly fond of live oak and bald cypress trees that grow in the lowlands, swamps and savannas of the south. Here the climate is warm enough and has a relatively high humidity. Native Americans called it “Itla-okla”, which means “tree hair.” The French renamed it “Spanish Beard” because it was reminiscent of the conquistadors. After time the name evolved into Spanish moss.

Yes, I did say Spanish moss is a flowering plant.  It’s also related to the pineapple. Sounds strange, right? The flowers are tiny and inconspicuous. They are brown, green, yellow or grey. The plant propagates by seed or finds new locations when fragments break off and blow in the wind. Birds also help the process by carrying it from tree to tree.

spanish moss
frampton plantation house
The Spanish moss on Frampton Plantation’s front live oak flourishes.

Don’t worry, Spanish moss will not harm the trees. It has no roots and takes all its nutrients from the air. Even though Spanish moss grows on trees, it is not a parasite. The plant thrives on moisture in the air, sunlight, and particles found in the air. The plant is covered in tiny scales that trap and store water and nutrients. When full of water Spanish moss appears almost green. As it dries out it becomes a deeper grey.

spanish moss
donnelley wildlife management area
This Spanish moss draped drive is in Colleton County’s Donnelley Wildlife Management Area.

There are two different legends about where this plant got its name. They are both told in many versions and change with each telling. The first one is the story of a beloved Indian princess who died. She was buried at the base of a live oak. Her husband cut off her braids and draped them in the tree. As time passed, the braids became grey and the wind carried the strands from tree to tree. They turned into Spanish moss to remind us of the love between the couple.

spanish moss
ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge
The Grove Plantation House sits in the middle of Colleton County’s Ace Basin National Wildlife Refuge. The live oak trees come to life with the sway of the Spanish moss.

Another story involves the favorite daughter of an Indian chief and a Spanish conquistador. They were forbidden to see each other. As any good love story goes, they couldn’t stay apart, so the chief tied him high in the top of an ancient oak tree. The Spaniard told the chief that his love for the daughter would continue to grow even after death.  His beard grew and became tangled in the branches. Until this very day, his beard still hangs in the trees.

spanish moss
penn center st helena island
The live oaks at St. Helana’s Penn Center are covered in Spanish moss.

Spanish moss reminds us of the deep south because it grows in subtropical humid southern locations. It also grows as far down as South America, but we like to take all the credit for this beautiful plant. Is anything more magical than an evening drive through the South Carolina Lowcountry where Spanish moss sways and fireflies intermingle in a choreographed dance that speaks to the soul?

spanish moss
webb wildlife center
Hampton County’s Webb Wildlife Center is inland, but the Spanish moss grows beautifully.

For more information on the South Carolina Lowcountry visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/.

Read More

Savor the Sights of Hampton County

Places to Go, Things to See

Hampton County is teaming with history. Luckily, much of it has been preserved in the architecture that can be seen throughout the county.

hampton sc courthouse

The Hampton County Courthouse was built in 1878 when Hampton became a county. It was named after Governor Wade Hampton.

Hampton County Courthouse

The cornerstone of the building was laid by none other than Governor Hampton himself!

Hampton County Courthouse

The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at 1 Elm St W, in Hampton.

Hampton County Museum

The Hampton County Museum building has a very interesting history. The structure was built to house the Hampton County Jail. Museum artifacts include Civil War memorabilia, maps and uniforms. Visitors can also find exhibits from World Wars I and II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

Hampton County Museum

The County Jail was built in 1878 and served the people until 1976. Second floor cells have been preserved and are a distinctive museum attraction for the County Historical Society.

Hampton County Museum

This building is also on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hampton County Museum at the Old Jail is open Thursdays from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. & 3 – 5 p.m. (803)943-5484

Hampton Museum and Visitors Center
Photo by Mary Hughes Calloway

The Hampton Museum and Visitors Center started life as the Bank of Hampton.
This architecturally significant building started life as the Bank of Hampton in 1892. The two-story Italianate influenced brick building was designed by French architect Vincent Fontaine. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bank closed its doors in 1930, but the upstairs space was rented as a law office until the 1960s. The structure was given to the town in 1987 and it became a museum shortly after. The bank’s original vault and safe with hand painted doors are still intact today.

Hampton Museum and Visitors Center

This museum and visitors center exhibits collections relevant to Hampton County. Visitors will find exhibits of Indian lore, military artifacts, antique medical equipment and Watermelon Festival memorabilia. A children’s room is included for younger visitors. Local artists and craftsmen also display their creations here. Genealogy information for this area is also available. Information on a self-guided walking tour of downtown Hampton can be found inside as well.

Hampton Museum and Visitors Center
Photo by Mike Stroud.

The Hampton Museum & Visitor’s Center is located at 15 Elm Street, across from the County Courthouse. Visitors are welcome to browse the displays on any given Thursday or Saturday, from 2 – 5 p.m. and the first Sunday of the month, from 3 – 5 p.m.  A trip to the museum and visitors center is free, but donations are accepted.
(803)943-5318

 the Hampton Colored School
Photo by Bill Fitzpatrick.

Built in 1929, the Hampton Colored School was the educational facility for Hampton’s African American children. This structure replaced a dilapidated one-room schoolhouse. The land was purchased by local citizens. Once the acreage was secured, Ervin Johnson, an African American carpenter, constructed the frame building with help of volunteers from his community.

 the Hampton Colored School
This is how the school looked before renovations were done to preserve the landmark.

The school served students through the eighth grade. When Hampton Colored High School was built in 1947, this school became its cafeteria. The Hampton County Colored School fell into disrepair after integration. It has since been restored and entered onto the National Register of Historic Places.

 the Hampton Colored School

 The facility has been restored and named to both the South Carolina and the National Register of Historic Places. It is also listed in the Green Book of South Carolina. The museum serves as a repository of Black History in Hampton. The Hampton Colored School can be found at 608 1st St West.  The museum is open Wednesdays, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. (803)943-2951

The Estill Nature Walking and Nature Trail is a quarter of a mile long and has learning stations along the path so visitors can learn about nature. The trail is located at 500 Second Street East, behind the Estill Fire Station. (803)625-3243

Estill Museum

The Estill Museum is open by appointment by calling (803)368-5158. The building that houses the museum was originally Estill’s first town hall and jail.

Estill Museum

The small museum features exhibits on the history of Estill. The museum is located at 44 Third Street, Estill.

Lawtonville Baptist Church
Photo by Bill Segars.

The ornate Lawtonville Baptist Church stands proudly on the corner at 196 Fourth Street in Estill. This church stands out from the other buildings of Hampton County. This 1911 structure was designed by renowned Savannah architect Julian DeBruyn Kops.

Lawtonville Baptist Church

The elaborate late Gothic Revival church is still in use today. The building has a complex Star of Redemption roof and Star of David symbols on each side. Parts of the building resemble a castle keep.

Lawtonville Baptist Church

The stained-glass windows have been beautifully preserved, and best seen from inside. The ceiling is also stunning.

Varnville

The town of Varnville was the setting for the fictitious town of Greenbow, Alabama for the filming of Forrest Gump. The block-buster movie was filmed all around the Lowcountry in 1994.

Varnville was originally known as “Dixie” in the 1800s. The streets are lined with lovely homes, a restored former depot and a beautiful town gazebo.

Brunson Museum and Visitors Center

Brunson Museum and Visitors Center is housed in the original town hall. This unique museum contains a wonderful collection of artifacts, paintings and other memorabilia documenting the history of the Brunson area. The building was listed in Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, as the only octagonal town hall ever built on stilts. 

Brunson Museum and Visitors Center

Built 1906, this structure was used as a municipal office and meeting place for the mayor and councilmen of Brunson. It was built over the town’s artesian well to provide protection and shade. Benches were placed around the well to provide a recreational spot for the town’s citizens. While the open arena under the town hall was planned for pleasure, it was also used as the town’s voting place. It was even the scene of one election slaying. Townspeople will tell you that many of cotton crops were planned there. In 1952 the artesian well was covered, and a modern water supply was installed.

Brunson Museum and Visitors Center

The tiny town hall was crowded out by the modern highway and rail systems, so in 1959, it was moved to its current location and the stilts were removed. The town hall continued to serve as the center of town government until 1996. A replica of the original town hall on stilts is positioned beside the museum as a reminder of the building’s original life. Visit the museum at 800 Railroad Avenue in Brunson. Hours of operation are Thursday 2-5 p.m. or by appointment. (803)632-3633

Stoney Creek Chapel.

Fans of the movie Forest Gump will recognize Stoney Creek Chapel. Forrest went to church here to pray that he and Lieutenant Dan would find shrimp. It is the only pre-Civil War structure in this area surrounding McPhersonville and Yemassee.

Stoney Creek Chapel

Before the Civil War, many rice-planters from Prince William Parrish build summer homes in McPhersonville due to its higher elevation as an escape from malaria-carrying mosquitoes. In 1832 some of these planters joined to build a summer chapel. Completed in 1833, this chapel was used for seasonal worship. During the war the chapel was used as a hospital and campsite by Union troops.

Stoney Creek Chapel

The chapel is a simple Greek Revival structure with a gabled roof. Central arched doors are flanked by transomed windows. The octagonal steeple was added in 1890. It was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

Sheldon Chapel Episcopal, sc

Sheldon Chapel Episcopal, formerly of Prince William Parish stands proudly at 25481 Pocotaligo Road. Dated to 1745, the church was dismantled and used to build bridges by Gen. Sherman during the Civil War. It was rebuilt in 1898.

Sheldon Chapel Episcopal, sc
Photo from More to Life Photography.

It was first built in 1832, as a summer place of worship by the congregation of Sheldon Church of Prince William’s Parish (now famous as “Old Sheldon” ruins). The Confederate Army used the church as a smallpox clinic.

Sheldon Chapel Episcopal, sc

When Union forces occupied the area, they used the structures strongest timbers to build bridges across the Combahee. Then Sherman’s army destroyed the rest of the structure it in 1865. It was rebuilt in its present modest form in 1898.

Read More

African American Heritage Sites

Take a trip across the Lowcountry to visit these historically significant spots.

Today’s Green Book of South Carolina pays homage to the original Green Book by highlighting African American heritage sites across the state. The original Green Book was published in 1936. It played a critical role in protecting African American travelers by providing information on safe travel and welcoming establishments across the United States. This guide was instrumental in helping black motorists navigate the dangers of racial segregation. It included gas stations, restaurants and lodging that were safe for African American travelers.

Calvin Ramsey has revived the Green Book as a guide to historically significant sites. The South Carolina Lowcountry counties of Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper are very fortunate to have 36 sites memorialized in the Green Book of South Carolina. The following sites were shared from  https://greenbookofsc.com/.

African American Heritage Sites

BEAUFORT
“Freedom Along the Combahee”: Combahee Ferry Raid

Hwy 17 at Combahee River, Beaufort County
A Union force consisting of nearly 300 members of the 3rd Rhode Island Artillery and the 2nd S.C. Volunteer Infantry, an African American unit, raided several plantations along the Confederate-held Combahee River on June 1-2, 1863.  Col. James Montgomery led the expedition.  The famed Underground Railroad conductor Harriet Tubman also participated.  More than 700 enslaved men, women, and children were freed.  Some of the freedmen enlisted in the U.S. Army.

Berean Presbyterian Church
Photo by Terry Kearns

Berean Presbyterian Church / J.I. Washington Branch Library
602 Carteret St. Beaufort
Samuel J. Bampfield, an influential African American political figure during Reconstruction, was the founder of Berean Presbyterian Church. He served as postmaster, clerk of the Beaufort County court, and a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives.  The congregation purchased this lot in 1892 and built a Gothic Revival style church.  Solomon P. Hood, a future U.S. Minister to Liberia, was appointed as its first pastor.
The Beaufort Township Library purchased the building in 1931 and used it as a segregated library for African Americans.  After the desegregation of the Township Library, the segregated branch closed.  Later, the Neighborhood Youth Corps used the building as its headquarters. USC-Beaufort purchased the site in 1993 for use as an art studio.

Camp Saxton

Camp Saxton
Ribaut Rd. on the US Naval Hospital Grounds, Port Royal
The Camp Saxton Site is nationally significant as an intact portion of the camp occupied from early November 1862 to late January 1863 by the 1st South Carolina Volunteers, the first black regiment mustered into regular service in the United States Army during the Civil War, and as the site of the elaborate ceremonies held here on New Year’s Day 1863 which formally announced and celebrated the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation freeing all slaves in areas then “in rebellion” against the United States. This area is preserved as part of Reconstruction Era National Historical Park. However, it is located on the campus of the Beaufort Naval Hospital, an active duty military installation. As a result, this area is not currently open to public access.

Detreville House

Detreville House
701 Green St. Beaufort
Rev. James Graham built this house c. 1785. It became known as “the Mission” during Reconstruction, when Mrs. Rachel C. Mather of Boston occupied the house. She and other Baptist missionaries built Mather School in Beaufort to educate African Americans. The house is included in the Beaufort Historic District.

First African Baptist Church Beaufort

First African Baptist Church, Beaufort
601 New St. Beaufort
This church, founded in 1865, grew out of an antebellum praise house for black members of the Baptist Church of Beaufort. During the Civil War, after the Federal occupation of the town, it hosted a school for Freedmen. Rev. Arthur Waddell (1821-1895), organized the church with two fellow black ministers in 1867. Robert Smalls (1839-1915), Civil War hero, state legislator, and U.S. Congressman, was its most prominent member.

Grand Army of the Republic Hall
Image found on the Green Book of SC website.

Grand Army of the Republic Hall
706 Newcastle St. Beaufort
Although Beaufort’s black military companies remained active after the Civil War, statewide the “Negro militia” rapidly declined during the 19th century. By 1903, the only units left were two companies in Beaufort. Many black Union veterans lived in the community, and after the war they formed the David Hunter Post #9 of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization for veterans of the Union Army. Built in 1896, this meeting hall for the post is believed to be the only surviving building in South Carolina associated with the Grand Army of the Republic. It is included in the Beaufort Historic District.

Mather Museum and Interpretive Center

Mather Museum and Interpretive Center
921 Ribaut Road, building #1, Beaufort
This interpretive center chronicles the history of Mather School in Beaufort, a boarding school for freed African American females.  The institution was founded in 1868 by Boston schoolteacher Rachel Crane Mather, and is one of many post-Civil War developments that sought to educate recently emancipated African Americans.  It first served elementary school-age girls. In 1910, high school grades were added, and in the 1950s, it became a junior college.  Today, the museum is housed in the historic school’s former library, and the campus is the site of the Technical College of the Lowcountry.  Moor Hall (pictured below,) one of the campus’ original historic buildings, housed classrooms, served as an administration building, a science laboratory, a library and a bookstore.  The school of cosmetology training was housed in the basement.

Tabernacle Baptist Church

Tabernacle Baptist Church
907 Craven St. Beaufort
The Tabernacle, a meeting house and lecture room, was built by Beaufort Baptist Church in the 1840s. In 1863, Tabernacle Baptist Church was organized by Solomon Peck of Boston with most of the 500 African American members of the congregation coming from Beaufort Baptist Church. The new congregation acquired this building for their worship services. The church was rebuilt after it was damaged by the hurricane of 1893. A bust of Civil War Hero Robert Smalls is on the church grounds. Tabernacle Baptist Church is included in the Beaufort Historic District.

Wesley Methodist Church Beaufort

Wesley Methodist Church, Beaufort
701 West St. Beaufort
This church, established in 1833, was the first Methodist church in Beaufort and was founded as a mission to slaves and free blacks here and on the neighboring sea islands. The congregation had both black and white members but many more black members in the antebellum era. This church, first built in the “meeting house” form common to the Methodist church, was dedicated in 1849. In 1861, after the Federal occupation of Beaufort and the sea islands, this church hosted a school for Freedmen. Its first black minister was appointed in 1873 during Reconstruction.

Coffin Point Plantation
Image from SC Historic Properties Record.

BEAUFORT SEA ISLANDS
Coffin Point Plantation

Seaside Rd. St. Helena Island
Coffin Point Plantation, a prosperous sea island cotton plantation, became a hub of activity when St. Helena Island was captured by Union troops in 1861. With the Union occupation of the island, the Coffin family fled, and 260 slaves were left behind. The United States government developed a plan to train and educate the newly released slaves to prove their effectiveness as free laborers. This effort became known as the Port Royal Experiment.

Dr. York Bailey House

Dr. York Bailey House
US Hwy. 21 St. Helena Island
This house was built c. 1915 for Dr. York Bailey, St. Helena Island’s first African American doctor and its only physician for more than 50 years. Bailey ordered the parts for the house from a mail-order catalog and they were shipped to Beaufort, then brought across to the island by boat. The house is a good example of the vernacular American Foursquare house form. Bailey, born on St. Helena in 1881, graduated from Penn School and Hampton Institute and studied medicine at Howard University. He returned to the island in 1906 to practice medicine.

Eddings Point Praise House
Image found on Green Book of SC website.

Eddings Point Praise House
On Eddings Point Drive, .1 miles north of junction with Secondary Road 74 St. Helena Island
The small wood frame building, c. 1900, is a rare example of a praise house. Praise houses were first established on plantations as places to meet and worship. Since there were few formal church buildings on St. Helena Island, most islanders could only walk or ride to the main church on Sunday mornings. For other meetings or services, they used praise houses, holding services on Sunday night and some weeknights. There were as many as 25 praise houses on St. Helena Island as recently as 1932, but only four remain today.

Emmanuel Alston House

Emanuel Alston House
Sec. Rd. 161, .25 mi. N of jct. with US 21 Frogmore/St Helena Island
This house is an intact and significant example of a one-story hipped roof house, an early 20th century vernacular architectural form common to St. Helena Island. It was built c. 1915 by Tecumseh Alston, a carpenter, for his brother Emanuel. Emanuel “Mannie” Alston, born 1900, lived here until his death in 1985. He served for many years as an elder at Ebenezer Baptist Church and took a prominent part in the services there.

Knights of Wise Men Lodge Hall

Knights of Wise Men Lodge Hall
14 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. St. Helena Island
The Knights of Wise Men was organized in 1870 to provide financial and farming assistance to the families of its members.  The Knights purchased this property at the rear of “The Green” in 1889 for $8.00 and built a two-story wood frame building, which burned in 1940.  The current concrete building was constructed shortly thereafter by local masons.  It is similar in fashion to the earlier building.  At its height in the 1920s, the Knights of Wise Men had some 350 members.  The lodge is still used during times of celebration.

Mary Jenkins Community Praise House

Mary Jenkins Community Praise House
355 Eddings Point Rd. St. Helena Island
Mary Jenkins Community Praise House is one of only four praise houses remaining on St. Helena Island.  The small wood frame building, which was built c. 1900, represents a vernacular architectural form that has survived since the plantation era.  Paris Capers, born in 1863, was one of the early elders.  As a place of religious worship as well as community meetings, this praise house is an important reminder of St. Helena Island’s African American heritage.

Penn Center Historic District / Reconstruction Era National Monument

Penn Center Historic District / Reconstruction Era National Monument
16 Penn Center Cir. E. St. Helena Island
Penn School was founded in 1862 by northern missionaries and abolitionists who came to South Carolina after the capture of the Sea Islands by Union troops.  The site and its collection of historic buildings were venues for education, the preservation and interpretation of sea island culture, and a strategy meeting for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. before his March on Washington in 1963.  In January 2017, Penn Center and other historic sites in Beaufort County were declared the nation’s first Reconstruction Era National Monument by President Barack Obama.  In 2019, the monument was officially recognized as a National Park.

Robert Simmons House
Image found on the Green Book of SC website.

Robert Simmons House
On unpaved road .5 mile south of US HWY. 21 St. Helena Island
This house was built c. 1910 by Robert Simmons, an African American farmer. The house is a rare surviving example of a double pen house, a vernacular architectural form once common on St. Helena Island. Double pen houses had two rooms side-by-side, each usually measuring approximately 16×16 feet. The house has been enlarged, but the original core is still distinguishable.

Campbell AME Church

BLUFFTON
Campbell AME Church

23 Boundary Street Bluffton
White Methodists built Campbell Chapel AME Church in 1853.  Nine African American freedmen, who were likely once enslaved by members of the white congregation, purchased the 19th-century Greek Revival structure in 1874.  Members of the new African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church congregation immediately altered the building and expanded the site as the church thrived.  They likely installed the cast-iron bell that is currently visible in the cupola.  The church retains historic fabric that is both original and reflective of the change in ownership. Campbell Chapel AME continues to provide a space where congregants can educate youth, worship freely, and participate in outreach ministries. This historic church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on April 26, 2019.

Cherry Hill School
Image by Lloyd Wainscott.

HILTON HEAD
Cherry Hill School

210 Dillon Rd. Hilton Head Island
This one-room frame school, built ca. 1937, was the first separate school building constructed for African American students on Hilton Head Island. It replaced an earlier Cherry Hill School, which had held its classes in the parsonage of St. James Baptist Church. After the black community on the island raised funds to buy this tract, Beaufort County agreed to build this school. This was an elementary school with one teacher, with an average of about 30 students. It served grades 1-5 when it opened in 1937, adding grade 6 the next school year.

First African Baptist Church Hilton Head Island

First African Baptist Church, Hilton Head Island
70 Beach City Rd. Hilton Head Island
This church, founded in 1862, was originally the church in the town of Mitchelville, a Freedmen’s village established on Hilton Head by the United States Army. Rev. Abraham Murchinson, its first minister, was a former slave and the church had about 120 members when it was organized in August 1862. The church moved to the Chaplin community after the Civil War and was renamed Goodwill Baptist Church. It moved to this site by 1898 and was renamed Cross Roads Baptist Church before retaking its original name. The present church was built in 1966.

Former Home of William Simmons: Gullah Museum of Hilton Head

Former Home of William Simmons: Gullah Museum of Hilton Head
187 Gumtree Rd. Hilton Head Island
This house, built in 1930, is typical in materials and methods of construction of those built on the sea islands from the end of the Civil War to the mid-20th century. It was built on land bought by William Simmons (c. 1835-1922), who was born a slave and served in the 21st U.S. Colored Infantry during the Civil War. His granddaughter Georgianna Jones Bryan built this house in 1930 for her brother. It illustrates everyday life and the persistence of Gullah culture in an African American farm community. It was renovated in 2010-11 as the Gullah Museum of Hilton Head Island.

Fort Howell

Fort Howell
160 Beach City Rd. Hilton Head Island
This Civil War fort, named for Gen. Joshua Blackwood Howell (1806-1864,) was built by the U.S. Army’s 32nd Colored Infantry and the 144th N.Y. Infantry to defend Hilton Head and the nearby freedmen’s village of Mitchelville from potential Confederate raids or expeditions. That village, just east of the fort, had been established by Gen. Ormsby M. Mitchel in the fall of 1862 and was named for him after his death. The fort was an enclosed pentagonal earthwork with a 23-foot high parapet and emplacements for up to 27 guns. Though Fort Howell never saw action, it is significant for its design and its structural integrity.

Mitchelville Site
The Mitchelville site is preserved as the Mitchelville Freedom Park, complete with a walking trail.

Mitchelville Site
Beach City Rd. Hilton Head Island
After Hilton Head’s fall to Union forces in 1861, this town was planned for the area’s former slaves and named for General Ormsby M. Mitchel.  It was developed into neatly arranged streets and Ľ-acre lots.  The town had elected officials, a church, laws, taxes and a school for children, and was home to about 1,500 residents in 1865.  The village continued relatively intact until the 1870s and was abandoned by 1890.

Queen Chapel AME Church

Queen Chapel AME Church
114 Beach City Rd. Hilton Head
The AME denomination experienced rapid growth after the Civil War and Queen Chapel was among the early churches founded. In 1865, Charleston born AME Bishop D.A. Payne returned to S.C. and brought a group of missionaries to Hilton Head Island. They met with Rev. James Lynch, who had come to S.C. in 1863 to perform missionary work among the freedmen of Mitchelville.

St. James Baptist Church

St. James Baptist Church
209 Dillon Rd. Hilton Head Island
This church, founded in 1886 by former members of First African Baptist Church, is one of the oldest surviving institutions remaining from the town of Mitchelville, a Freedmen’s village established here by the United States Army in 1862. The present brick sanctuary, covered in stucco, is the third to serve this congregation. It was built in 1972 and renovated in 2005.

Daufuskie Island Historic District

Daufuskie Island Historic District
18 Simmons Rd. Daufuskie Island – Accessible only by ferry.
The cotton trade spurred the growth of the slave population on Daufuskie Island from 1805-1842, and ruins of slave houses and archaeological sites remain from this period. The island was largely abandoned during the Civil War, but many former slaves returned during Reconstruction, reoccupying slave houses and building churches, schools, and meeting places. In the early 20th century, the population swelled to almost 1000, with oysters, logging, and trucking providing jobs. By the 1940s and 1950s, outside competition had caused many to leave the island and search for jobs elsewhere, leaving the population in 1980 at fewer than 75 people.

Edisto Island Baptist Church

EDISTO ISLAND
Edisto Island Baptist Church
1813 SC Highway 174 Edisto Island
The original core of Edisto Island Baptist Church was built in 1818 to serve the island’s white planters. Enslaved African Americans attended the church with their owners, and the original slave gallery still lines both sides of the sanctuary. After Edisto Island was occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, most of the white plantation families left the island. In 1865 the trustees of the church turned it over to the black members. Edisto Island Baptist Church has operated as an African American church since that time.

Hutchinson House
7666 Point of Pines Rd. Edisto Island
Built by Henry Hutchinson around the time of his marriage to Rosa Swinton in 1885, the Hutchinson House is the oldest intact house identified with the African American community on Edisto Island after the Civil War. Hutchinson was born enslaved in 1860, and according to local tradition, he built and operated the first cotton gin owned by an African American on the island from about 1900-1920. Hutchinson lived here until his death in 1940.

29 Seaside School
Image found on the Green Book of SC website.

29 Seaside School
1097 SC Hwy. 174 Edisto Island
This Seaside School, which was built c. 1931 as its second building, is reported to be the oldest African American school remaining on Edisto Island. From 1931 until the construction of a consolidated school in 1954, black residents of Edisto Island received their primary education in this building, a one-story, two-room rectangular frame. In 1930, the Edisto Island school district had planned to merge Seaside with Central African American school, but the community, affected by the Great Depression, could not raise enough money for the lot and school supplies. This smaller structure was built instead.

Episcopal Church of Atonement Walterboro

WALTERBORO
Episcopal Church of the Atonement

207 Chaplin St. Walterboro
This African American congregation was formed in 1892 as a mission of St. Jude’s Episcopal Church, a white congregation. The rector of St. Jude’s supplied services for the Church of the Atonement. This distinctive Gothic Revival church was built in 1896. The wood frame building features a steep gable roof. A tower on the front, which contains the Gothic-arched entrance, is decorated with fish-scale shingles and topped with an open belfry. The Church of the Atonement is included in the Walterboro Historic District.

St. James the Greater Catholic Mission

St. James the Greater Catholic Mission
3087 Ritter Rd. Walterboro vicinity
St. James the Greater Catholic Mission is an extremely rare example of a rural, southern, black Roman Catholic parish in continuous existence from its antebellum origins to today. The site includes a sanctuary, a school, and a cemetery. The sanctuary, built around 1935 in the late Gothic Revival style and entirely clad in wooden shingles, is on the same site as two previous churches built in 1833 and 1894. The schoolhouse, constructed in 1901, is rare example of a turn-of-the-twentieth-century I-house built specifically as a school for African Americans. It provided private education for local students, regardless of religious affiliation, until 1960.

St. Peter's AME Church

St. Peter’s AME Church
302 Fishburne St. Walterboro
St. Peter’s African Methodist Episcopal Church was formed in 1867 under the leadership of Rev. James Nesbitt. This building, a Gothic Revival wood frame structure, was constructed around 1870. It features Gothic windows and a tower with an open belfry. It is part of the Walterboro Historic District.

Training the Tuskegee Airmen

Training the Tuskegee Airmen
Tuskegee Airmen Dr. Walterboro Airport
During World War II, the first African Americans in the U.S. Army Air Corps graduated from the Tuskegee Army Flying School in Alabama. From May 1944 to October 1945, some of them took further combat training here, at Walterboro Army Airfield. Several of the earliest “Tuskegee Airmen,” who had already won fame in missions in Europe and North Africa, were assigned as combat flight instructors. Trainees here flew the P-39, P-47, and P-40 fighter planes and the B-25 bomber. Officers’ quarters and enlisted men’s barracks stood just east and just west of this spot, respectively.

Hampton Colored School

HAMPTON
Hampton Colored School
Holly St., between Lightsey St. & Hoover St. Hampton
This two-room school was built under the leadership of Ervin Johnson, a local African American carpenter in 1929. It served students in grades one through eight. At first funds were so scarce it was only open from October to March. Eventually however, donations from the black community allowed it to operate for a full school year. Later, high school courses were offered. This remained the only black school in town until the Hampton Colored High School was built in 1947. Then it was converted into the lunchroom for the high school. Marker erected by Hampton County Historical Society, 1989.

Huspah Baptist Church and School
Image found on the Green Book of SC website.

Huspah Baptist Church and School
729 Magnolia St. W. Hampton
Organized c. 1873, the congregation first met in the homes of church members before erecting a permanent sanctuary. It also began operating a school for African American students around 1890. The first school burned in 1895 (arson was suspected, but never proven). It re-opened the following year. Elizabeth Evelyn Wright and Jessie Dorsey were the first teachers at the new school. Wright would go on to found Voorhees College in 1897. The school at Huspah remained in service until the County built a new school for African American students in 1927. Marker sponsored by Huspah Baptist Church, 2015.

St. Matthew Baptist Church

TILLMAN
St. Matthew Baptist Church

1454 Tillman Rd. Tillman
This church was founded in 1870 with Rev. Plenty Pinckney as its first minister and worshipped in a “bush tent” nearby until a log church was built a few years later. A new frame church was built on this site in the 1890s during the pastorate of Rev. C.L. Lawton. The present sanctuary was built in 1960 during the tenure of Rev. R.M. Youmans, who served here for more than 35 years. Marker erected by the Congregation, 2002.

Read More

Looking for a Museum in Hampton County?

There are FOUR to keep you entertained!
hampton museum and visitors center
The Italianate brick building was designed by French architect Vincent Fontaine and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Hampton Museum & Visitor’s Center is located at 15 Elm Street, across from the County Courthouse. Visitors are welcome to browse the displays on any given Thursday or Saturday, from 2 – 5 p.m.

bank of hampton building
The Hampton Museum and Visitors Center started life as the Bank of Hampton.

This architecturally significant building started life as the Bank of Hampton in 1892. The two-story Italianate influenced brick building was designed by French architect Vincent Fontaine. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bank closed its doors in 1930, but the upstairs space was rented as a law office until the 1960s. The structure was given to the town in 1987 and it became a museum shortly after. The bank’s original vault and safe with hand painted doors are still intact today.

hampton museum and visitors center

This museum and visitors center exhibits collections relevant to Hampton County. Visitors will find exhibits of Indian lore, military artifacts, antique medical equipment and Watermelon Festival memorabilia. A children’s room is included for younger visitors. Local artists and craftsmen also display their creations here. Genealogy information for this area is also available. Information on a self-guided walking tour of downtown Hampton can be found inside as well. A trip to the museum and visitors center is free, but donations are accepted. 803-943-5318

hampton county museum
The Hampton County Museum in housed in the county’s first jailhouse.

Just down the street at 702 1st St West, visitors will find the Hampton County Historical Society and the Hampton County Museum @ The Old Jail!
The Hampton County Historical Society takes great pleasure in enriching the lives of residents and visitors through interpreting and promoting the rich history of the many communities within Hampton County.   Collected and preserved artifacts, materials and family histories are exhibited for the benefit of residents and visitors through the society-sponsored museum. 

The society also develops and presents public educational programs and events that highlight and explore Hampton culture and heritage, and the society encourages historic preservation by supporting the placement of historical markers at sites of significant interest throughout the communities of Hampton County.

old hampton county jail
Hampton County Jail photo from SC Dept. of Archives and History.

Located in the old jailhouse, the Hampton County Museum artifacts include Civil War memorabilia, maps and uniforms. Visitors can also find exhibits from World Wars I and II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The County Jail was built in 1878 and served the people until 1976. Second floor cells have been preserved and are a distinctive museum attraction for the County Historical Society. This building is also on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hampton County Museum at the Old Jail is open Thursdays from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. & 3 – 5 p.m. 803-943-5484

hampton county museum in old hampton county jail
The Hampton County Museum is housed in the county’s first jailhouse.

The Hampton Colored School can be found at 608 1st St West. Built in 1929, this was the educational facility for Hampton’s African American children.

hampton colored school
The Hampton County Colored School image by Bill Fitzpatrick

This structure replaced a dilapidated one-room schoolhouse. The land was purchased by local citizens. Once the acreage was secured, Ervin Johnson, an African American carpenter, constructed the frame building with help of volunteers from his community.

hampton colored school
The Hampton County Colored School fell into disrepair after integration. It has since been restored and entered onto the National Register of Historic Places.

The school served students through the eighth grade. When Hampton Colored High School was built in 1947, this school became its cafeteria.  The facility has been restored and named to both the South Carolina and the National Register of Historic Places. The museum serves as a repository of Black History in Hampton. The museum is open Wednesdays 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. 803-943-2951

hampton colored school marker

Brunson Museum and Visitors Center is housed in the original town hall. This unique museum contains a wonderful collection of artifacts, paintings and other memorabilia documenting the history of the Brunson area. The building was listed in Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, as the only octagonal town hall ever built on stilts. 

Brunson Museum and Visitors Center.

Built 1906, this structure was used as a municipal office and meeting place for the mayor and councilmen of Brunson. It was built over the town’s artesian well to provide protection and shade. Benches were placed around the well to provide a recreational spot for the towns people. While the open arena under the town hall was planned for pleasure, it was also used as the town’s voting place. It was even the scene of one election slaying. Townspeople will tell you that many of cotton crops were planned there. In 1952 the artesian well was covered and a modern water supply was installed. The tiny town hall was crowded out by the modern highway and rail systems, so in 1959, it was moved to its current location and the stilts were removed. The town hall continued to serve as the center of town government until 1996.

brunson town hall museum
Brunson Town Hall was moved to its current location and reopened as a museum.

The museum offers a wonderful collection of artifacts, photographs, paintings, and other memorabilia documenting the history of Brunson and the surrounding area.

brunson town hall model
A model of Brunson’s Town Hall on stilts sits beside the original structure.

The Brunson Museum and Visitors Center is operated under the authorization of the Town of Brunson through a volunteer board. Hours of operation are Thursday 2-5 p.m. or by appointment. The Museum is located at 800 Railroad Avenue in Brunson. 803-632-3363

hampton county sc museum map

For more information on Hampton County attractions visit Hampton County Day Trips.

Read More

Webb Wildlife Management Area

Take a journey through unspoiled terrain at Webb WMA

Webb Wildlife Management Area lake view
The lakes at Webb WMA are perfect for fishing and canoeing.

A black water wonderland sits along the Savannah River in the heart of Hampton County. The Webb Wildlife Management Area is protected by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources to protect and preserve the wildlife habitat on the historic property. This care has also created opportunities for public recreation.

Webb Wildlife Management Area entry
Follow the oak-lined drive into the WMA. Photo by Zadok Moss.

Follow the brown binocular signs 2.7 miles from Garnet to the oak tree-lined drive that leads to the wildlife center complex. The office is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. -4:30 p.m.

Inside you’ll find maps and a restroom. Maps can also be found at the sign-in kiosk outside if your visit falls on a weekend. Follow the Bluff Lake directional signs to find the 2.1-mile Savannah River Nature Trail and a 1.2-mile canoe trail.

Webb Wildlife Management Area alligator
Alligators can be seen sunbathing on the banks. Photo by Zadok Moss.

Webb WMA Wildlife

There are many opportunities along the way to spot local wildlife. Managed fields and openings are great places to spot white-tailed deer, fox squirrels, and turkeys. The Savannah River and its tributaries offer glimpses of alligators and turtles. Two oxbow lakes provide great opportunities for fishing and canoeing.

Webb Wildlife Management Area home of the red-cockaded woodpecker
The rare and endangered red-cockaded woodpecker can be seen at the WMA.
Photo by Karen Marts.

Webb WMA is featured in the South Carolina Nature Viewing Guide. This book showcases selected sites for nature observation in the state. The WMA also has a rookery where viewers can get glimpses of swallow-tailed kites, prothonotary warblers, painted buntings and even the extremely rare red-cockaded woodpecker.

Webb Wildlife Management Area trees marked for red-cockaded woodpecker
Trees painted with white rings mark nesting activity of red-cockaded woodpeckers.
Photo by Karen Marts.

While driving through the upland pine forest, keep an eye out for white rings painted on trees. These rings mark nest activity sites of the endangered red-cockaded woodpecker.

Webb Wildlife Management Area office
The plantation house is the home to the WMA offices and visitor information.
Photo by Zadok Moss.

The Webb Wildlife Center Office

The Webb Wildlife Center office is housed in what was once the plantation house of a long-gone race-horse training facility. The state acquired the 5,866-acre property in 1941 and set out to protect and preserve the unspoiled property. The area’s pineland forest, wildlife openings, bottomland hardwood forests, and cypress-tupelo swamps make the perfect spot for a woodland hike along the Savannah River.

Webb Wildlife Management Area pitcher plant
Pitcher plants native to the South Carolina wetlands can be seen here. Photo by Zadok Moss.

Bring your bug spray, binoculars, camera, and walking shoes. There are 40 miles of trails and roads to explore. The area is open year-round during daylight hours but will close on certain days for special hunts.

Webb Wildlife Management Area turtle
Turtles can also be spotted here. Photo by Zadok Moss.

Webb Wildlife Management Area, 1282 Webb Ave, Garnett, SC 29922 

Webb Wildlife Management Area is located in Hampton County, only 38 minutes from I-95.

For more information on other wildlife preserves and nature trails visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/wildlife-preserves-and-nature-trails/ .

Read More

See what our visitors love about the
SOUTH CAROLINA LOWCOUNTRY

Use the #hashtag #sclowcountry to get your image featured!

The Lowcountry & Resort Islands Region of South Carolina includes the four, southern-most counties in the state, Beaufort, Jasper, Hampton, and Colleton, which are bordered on the east by the Atlantic Ocean and on the west by the Savannah River and the state of Georgia.

#southcarolinaliving #southcarolina #edistobeach #edistosc #southcarolinanature #bestofthepalmettostate #onlyinsouthcarolina #treesofinstagram #treeporn #lowcountry #lowcountryliving #sclowcountry #southcarolinabeaches #charleston #charlestonsc #ig_naturelovers #ig_southcarolina #viewsofthesouth #charlestonlife
Beautiful South Carolina Lowcountry
•
Thanks for the tag 📸exodusfoto
•
#southcarolina #southcarolinacoast #lowcountry #lowcountryliving #sclowcountry #lifeonthecoast #coastliving #coastalsouthcarolina #saltyair #saltlife #wildlife #wildlifephotography #spanishmoss #sunrisesunset
The shore gently recedes beneath the stunning Pawleys Island Pier. The unique island town, located about 25 miles south of Myrtle Beach and 70 miles north of Charleston, exudes laid-back, beachy vibes. Locals have definitely adopted an island state of mind and encourage visitors to as well. When you go, make sure to relax on the beach, explore the famous sand dunes, or fish in one of the many adjacent creeks.⏰ Best time of the day to visit: We guarantee that you’re going to want to spend a whole day here. We recommend getting to the beach at around 10am.🗓️ Best time of the year: Pawleys Island has the best weather during the spring and early summer months.🏖️ Things to do while there: Pawleys Island Nature Park, Pawleys Island Chapel, Hopsewee Plantation.🐠 Things to visit in the area: Brookgreen Gardens (brookgreen_gardens), take a walking ghost tour, Myrtle Beach (mymyrtlebeach), Harborwalk Marina, South Carolina Maritime Museum (southcarolinamaritimemuseum).🏨 Where to stay: The Oceanfront Litchfield Inn (oceanfrontlitchfieldinn), Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort (litchfieldbeachandgolf), Sea View Inn (seaviewinn), 620 Prince (620prince).Photo by qcphotographer
South Carolina Lowcountry
•
📸sarah_snydacker
•
#southcarolina #southcarolinacoast #lowcountry #lowcountryliving #sclowcountry #lifeonthecoast #coastliving #coastalsouthcarolina #saltyair #saltlife #wildlife #wildlifephotography #sunrisesunset #charleston
Headed down the road....Edisto Island.  #edisto #sclowcountry #trees #endofday  #beauty #islandsofsc
Spanish moss drapes the live oak trees that are ubiquitous to the Edisto Island area. Did you know that Edisto gets its name from the native Edistow people? The Edistow Native Americans were a sub tribe of the Cusabo indians, a group of Native Americans who lived along the Atlantic coast in South Carolina.⏰ Best time of the day to visit: Stop by mid-morning. That way you can explore the island, grab lunch, and stay for the amazing sunset if you choose.🏖️ Things to do while there: Edisto Environmental Learning Center, Boneyard Beach, Scott Creek Inlet, Big Bay Creek, SeaCow Eatery.☀️ Things to visit in the area: Jungle Road Park, Bay Creek Park, Otter Islands, Spanish Mount Point.📆 Best time of the year to visit: For warmer weather come anywhere from March-August.🏨 Where to stay: Fripp Island Golf & Beach Resort (frippislandrsrt), Seabrook Island Club (seabrook_sc), The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (kiawahresort), Charleston Kiawah Island/Andell Inn (andellinn).Photo by qcphotographer
Discover at your own leisure at the coastaldiscoverymuseum 🌳  From century-old buildings with storied pasts, to wooden boardwalks that stretch into the Jarvis Creek salt marsh, there's always something to explore!
A visitor takes a leisurely stroke under a canopy of live oaks draped with Spanish moss in the Palmetto Bluff (palmettobluff) neighborhood of Bluffton, South Carolina. Palmetto Bluff is a picturesque community that sits in the heart of Lowcountry. Nestled along the May River, it’s abundant with beautiful walking trails, historic sites, and stunning views.⏰ Best time of the day to visit: There is no wrong time to visit Palmetto Bluff. However, we highly recommend sticking around for one of their spectacular sunsets.🛶 Things to do while there: Stop by Cole’s for some regionally inspired Southern fare, paddle board, kayak, or canoe along the May River, go saltwater fishing, take a tour at Bluffton Jack's Old Town Tours.🌊 Things to visit in the area: Palmetto Bluff Conservancy, Old Town Bluffton, Bluffton Oyster Factory Park, May River Sandbar, Heyward House Museum and Welcome Center (heywardhouse).📆 Best time of the year to visit: For the best weather, we recommend visiting between March and May or from September to November.🏨 Where to stay: The Montage Palmetto Bluff Resort (montagepalmettobluff) is the only resort in Palmetto Bluff. However, there are plenty of places to stay in the surrounding areas including: Old Town Bluffton Inn (oldtownblufftoninn), The Inn & Club at Harbour Town (theinnandclubatharbourtown), Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island (sonestahhi).Photo by jpgriceoz
South Carolina lowcountry
•
📸jonpuckett
•
#southcarolina #southcarolinacoast #lowcountry #lowcountryliving #sclowcountry #lifeonthecoast #coastliving #coastalsouthcarolina #saltyair #saltlife #wildlife #wildlifephotography #spanishmoss #sunrisesunset #charleston
Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
•
Thanks for the tag 📸trbtbone
•
#magnoliaplantation #southcarolina #southernliving #southernview #southernlife #sclowcountry #scenicviews #charlestonlife #charlestonliving #charlestonsc #coastalsouthcarolina #coastaliving #lifeonthecoast #lifeincharleston #spanishmoss #explorethecoast #exploretheoutdoors #godscreation #getoutside
Reposted from coastaldiscoverymuseum Hilton Head Island has the second highest tidal range on the East Coast, second only to Canada’s Bay of Fundy. The average tidal range here is 7-9 feet between high and low tides.The Salt Marsh is one of our area’s most prominent features, not to mention an essential resource. Most coastal creatures depend partially or even fully on the Salt Marsh for survival as it serves as a nursery, as well as a water filter vital for the functioning of the entire coastal ecosystem.Explore the Lowcountry up close with a visit to the Coastal Discovery Museum and head out into the marsh via the Osprey Outlook floating dock on a self-guided tour or register for the weekly Salt Marsh Discovery program to learn from an expert how and why this particular environment is so important. (843) 689-6767 ext. 223 or coastaldiscovery.org.
.
.
.
.
.
#coastaldiscoverymuseum #honeyhorn #hiltonheadisland #saltmarshsaturday #hightide #lowtide #saltmarsh #ospreyoutlook #boardwalk #floatingdock #ecosystem #exploremore #familyfun #familyadventures #communitymuseum #smithsonianaffiliate #sclowcountry #lowcountrylife #visithiltonhead #discoversc
Excited to announce that I have joined the best team in the land business, Whitetail Properties Real Estate! Whitetail Properties is a national real estate company that specializes in hunting, timber, and farm land. As a Land Specialist, I will be here to provide professional real estate representation to both buyer and sellers in South Carolina.If you have looking to buy or sell a piece of property or just want to learn more about the company, give me a call, I'd love to hear from you!#whitetailproperties
#sclowcountry
#land
A new week means a fresh start full of new opportunities to explore! 💙​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​
Drawn Out, 40x30, acrylic on canvas, framed in white​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​
Inquire sunsetrivermarket
Fall colors, #sclowcountry edition. So happy to be back home. #goldenhour #deerstandviews #godshandywork
What were your weekend views today? #DiscoverSC 📸📍Botany Bay Beach: charlestonshopcurator
No filter & it was so beautiful I didn't want to make it fit Instagram! #pawleysislandsc #onlypawleys #pawleys #arrogantlyshabby #eastcoast #coastalcarolina #sclowcountry #lowcountry #borntobeach #somebeachsomewhere #peaceloveandsandyfeet #inmymindimgonetocarolina

The South Carolina Lowcountry Guidebook is filled with many things to see and do in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. Please fill out the information and we will send you a FREE GUIDE BOOK.


    Stay Up To Date

    Sign up for our newsletter!