Yemassee | Day Trips

Yemassee Area Day Trips

A driving tour of Yemassee is rich in history. It’s conveniently located between Charleston and Savannah, just off of Highway 17. This little side trip will take visitors down roads canopied in live oaks and Spanish moss. Take the road less travelled and visit Yemassee. 

Option 1 – Historic Sites

1. Sheldon Chapel

25481 Pocotaligo Rd

Sheldon Chapel Episcopal, formerly of Prince William Parish sits proudly on  Pocotaligo Road. Dating to 1745, the church was dismantled and used to build bridges by Gen. Sherman during the Civil War. It was then rebuilt in 1898. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This location is a part of the Revolutionary War Trail.

2. Stoney Creek Chapel

Located directly behind Sheldon Chapel

Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel is located amongst a pine forest in the village of McPhersonville, right off of Pocotaligo Rd. It is the only pre-Civil War structure remaining in the area. Constructed in 1833, the Greek Revival chapel boasts four Doric columns supporting a pediment roof. The chapel was spared during the Civil War because it acted as a hospital, while the grounds were used as a campsite by Federal troops. Services are no longer held here. This chapel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

3. Frampton Plantation Museum House and SC Lowcountry Tourism Commissionalt


1 Low Country Ln., off I-95 Exit 33, opens daily 8:30 am-5:00 pm

This plantation house was originally built in the 1700’s as part of an original King’s Grant. The plantation contained thousands of acres, producing Sea Island cotton and rice. The owner, John Frampton, served as a delegate in the 1860 South Carolina Convention, and as such was a signer of the Ordinance of Secession. After the family fled, General Lee’s Confederate troops built an earthwork gun emplacement to help protect the railroad located behind the house. These mounds can still be seen behind the house today. Due to Frampton’s involvement in succession his plantation was targeted and burned during Sherman’s “March to the Sea”. Frampton, having fled the area, returned after the war with ample wealth to rebuild his home and continue farming. The house has been refurbished and is in use today as the Lowcountry Visitor Center and Museum.

4. Picnic
altPicnic under 250 year old live oak trees that are dripping with Spanish moss. Frampton Plantation has picnic facilities including tables and trash cans. The plantation has restrooms, ample parking for campers and a dog walking area.  After lunch come inside and browse through the museum and visitor’s center.

5alt. Old Sheldon Church Ruins

(Sheldon Church Rd, off Hwy 17, between Beaufort and Yemassee)

Built in the 1750’5, the church was burned in 1779 by British Troops. The church was rebuilt from the remaining walls in 1826. During Sherman’s famous “March to the Sea” in 1865, Union forces burned the church again. Although the brick walls and columns failed to surrender a second time, the church was never to be repaired again. The ruins stand today among live oak trees as a reminder of the Lowcountry past.

Option 2 -Lowcountry Revolutionary Trail

1alt. Start at Frampton Plantation

See the map on the gazebo wall. Phase One of this 22.5 mile trail covers the scenic Lowcountry counties of Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper. The trail retraces the footsteps of soldiers fighting in the American Revolution and takes visitors to battle locations.


2. Follow guide and explore the other Revolutionary sites in the area.

Visitors will be taken to the site of the Battle of Coosawhatchie, McPherson’s Plantation, the Skirmish at Saltketcher’s (now Salkahatchie) Bridge and Ft Balfour. Follow the Patriot War Trail logo and enjoy the scenic lowcountry.

Ridgeland | Day Trips

Ridgeland Day Trips

Ridgeland Day Trips

Option 1 – Town Touralt

1. Ralph Tuten Memorial Park

(Off I-95 Exit 21) open 24 hours

Located directly off I-95, this is a great area to get out and stretch your legs. Then you can venture further onto the Blue Heron Nature trail.

alt2. Blue Heron Nature Center & Trail

open dawn to dusk

(Behind Ralph Tuten Memorial Park)

This nature trail circles a beautiful pond, then meanders through the woods. The nature center is home to a collection which represents lowcountry wildlife.

a935b10156537d26d1ae2886445051c43. Lunch at a local restaurant 

(See Visitors – Dining – Ridgeland)

Ridgeland has many restaurants representing different tastes: seafood, southern cooking, pizza, barbecue, Mexican, oriental…You name it, we have it.

4. Pauline Pratt Webel Museum
(843-726-8126, 403 Russell St)
open M-F, 9-5
The Pauline Pratt Webel Museum is located inside the Jasper County Chamber of Commerce building. This museum offers a wonderful eclectic collection of artifacts, prints and other items… from ancient Indian pottery & arrow points to Civil War memorabilia.

(843) 284-9227, 10782 S. Jacob Smart Blvd. (U.S. 17).
The center preserves the Lowcountry`s history and culture through projects, events and exhibitions that inspire interest and evoke inquiry. The center serves as a vibrant center where a wide diversity of people gather to explore and learn about the region`s distinctive sense of place.

Option 2 – Historic Church Tour

Read more on these churches in our Blog.

800px-old_house_plantation1. Thomas Heyward Burial Site and Cemetery

(See Visitors – Sites to See – Jasper County)
(Junction of Highways 462 & 336) open dawn to dusk 

Thomas Heyward Jr, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was born and laid to rest here. A half-mile avenue of oaks leads visitors to the family burial plot. The state of South Carolina erected a monument and bust of Heyward in 1920. He was a  delegate in the Continental Congress. He was also a member of the SC Bar, a statesman, circuit court judge, and founder and first president of the Agricultural Society of SC. This location is a quiet and restful spot to picnic and roam.

holy-trinity-church-ridgeland2. Holy Trinity Episcopal Church

( 2718 Bees Creek Rd)

This historic church was originally a chapel of ease before it became a separate congregation in 1835. The current structure was built in 1858, using the popular Carpenter Gothic Church architecture style. The wheel window, board & batten sheathing and buttressed bell tower are typical features of this style. The three-staged bell tower has an exterior entrance to a stairway that leads to what was once the slave gallery. It now houses the pipe organ.

church3. Euhaw Baptist Church

(2576 Bees Creek Rd)

The original Euhaw Baptist Church was built in 1860. Although it was burned in Sherman’s “March to the Sea”, the building was saved and restored. This Late-Victorian structure proudly displays a three-stepped bell tower and arched windows. Two round windows grace the front facade. The first floor exterior is made of board and batten sheathing, while fish scale shingles cover the second story. Much care has been taken of the structure. Worshippers now use an adjacent building for worship, saving the Victorian structure for special occasions.

alt4. Lunch at a local restaurant

If you’re looking for a casual cafe meal, Ridgeland has a restaurant for you!

5. St. Paul’s United Methodist Church

(7488 W Main St)

This church, organized on 1890, is the oldest in Ridgeland, with its origins in several area Methodist congregations before the Civil War.  Its first sanctuary , a frame building, was built nearby in 1891. In 1927 the Gillisonville Methodist Church , organized in 1886, merged with St. Paul’s. The sanctuary, across the street from the original church site, was built in 1949 and was renovated in 1990.

6. Gillisonville Baptist Church

(10158 Grays Hwy)

This battle-scarred structure was erected around 1836 as a summer church for those moving away from the water to escape insects and fever. The Greek Revival church was used as a hospital during Sherman’s “March to the Sea”. Visible bullet holes can be found on the exterior walls. A Yankee Soldier etched on one of the communion plates which are still on display in the church. The Yankee soldiers burned everything else in the area but were surprised by the Confederate army and fled before burning the church. The church cemetery contains unmarked graves of men from both sides of the conflict.

Hardeeville | Day Trips

Hardeeville Day Trips

Plan Your Day Trip in Hardeeville

Option 1 – Historic Tour

(See Visitors – Sites to See – Jasper County)

1. Purrysburg Monument
(Junction of Highways 34 & 203)

A cross-shaped marker of stone stands on a low bluff overlooking the Savannah River. This marks the spot of old Purrysburg. The monument was erected in the 1940’s by the Huguenot Society of South Carolina. Close by is the original cemetery, which is still in use today. The oldest tomb is dated 1781. In 1731 a group of 600 Swiss colonists migrated to this spot.  The monument stands proudly to remind visitors of the hardy folks that struggled to put down roots, many of which went on to become prominent landowners and rice planters.

2. Argent Steam Engine (843-784-2231, 205 Main St.)

The Argent Steam Engine   “Number 7” was donated to the town of Hardeeville after the Argent Lumber Company closed in 1960. This narrow gauge train with a balloon smoke stack was built around 1910 by the H.K. Porter Company. The train is very rare and attracts tourists from across the nation. “Number 7” was used by the Argent Lumber Company to haul timber from the forest to the mill. This train engine is a wonderful relic for the logging and lumbering industry of this area. The train engine is on display at City Hall and can be viewed during daylight hours.

3. Hardeeville United Methodist Church (106 Main St.)

Hardeeville United Methodist Church dates back to 1860. Just after construction, the church was used as a hospital for Civil War soldiers. Due to Union occupation of the building, it was spared from fire when much of the town was burned in 1865. The bell that hangs in the belfry has some interesting history. It was taken from the last slave ship to sail up the Savannah River. A slave gallery once wrapped around the upper part of the sanctuary. It was removed in 1884. The church was beautifully restored in 1947 and is still in use with an active congregation today. The church is located at 106 Main Street in downtown Hardeeville.

 3. Lunch at a local restaurant
Hardeeville has a menu to fit any appetite: barbeque, oriental, seafood, Mexican, fried chicken…

fried chicken slaw

Option 2 – Nature Tour

(See Visitors – Sites to See – Jasper County)

1. Sgt Jasper Park nature walk or disk golf

(843-784-5130, 1456 Red Dam Rd), open daily during daylight hours

Read HERE about spending a day at Sgt Jasper Park.

Located just off Interstate 95, this 321 acre park features beautiful nature scenery. Wildlife abounds in this pine forest. An observation deck overlooking the pond is the perfect spot to locate and watch birds and other water-loving small animals. Walking trails lead visitors around a large pond which is great for fishing. Kayak and canoe rentals are also available. An 18-hole championship disk golf course is also located within the park.

 2. Picnic in the park
Sgt Jasper Park has wonderful picnic facilities. A covered shelter holds tables, grills and trash receptacles.

3. Savannah National Wildlife Refuge

(Hwy 17 between Hardeeville & Savannah) open daily during hours of daylight.

Read HERE about spending time at the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge.

Read HERE about hiking at the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge.

Savannah National Wildlife Refuge is the home of over 29,000 acres of freshwater marshes, tidal rivers and creeks and bottomland hardwoods. The refuge is located in the heart of the Lowcountry, outside Hardeeville near the Savannah River. Known for its rich flora during the summer months, the refuge supports a diverse wildlife population. During the winter months, many  species of ducks migrate into the area. In the spring and fall, transient songbirds stop briefly on their journey to and from northern nesting grounds. Bald Eagles and Egrets, Kingfishers and many other fish-eating birds call the refuge home. Alligators are also in resident on the refuge.

The driving tour takes visitors through historic rice fields. It is located on Hwy 170. The Visitor Center on Hwy 17, between Hardeeville and Savannah, is open Monday through Saturday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm. There is also a nature trail at this location.

See what our visitors love about the

Use the #hashtag #sclowcountry to get your image featured!

The Lowcountry & Resort Islands Region of South Carolina includes the four, southern-most counties in the state, Beaufort, Jasper, Hampton, and Colleton, which are bordered on the east by the Atlantic Ocean and on the west by the Savannah River and the state of Georgia.

The South Carolina Lowcountry Guidebook is filled with many things to see and do in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. Please fill out the information and we will send you a FREE GUIDE BOOK.

    Stay Up To Date

    Sign up for our newsletter!