Stoney Creek Chapel – Hampton County
Hampton County is home to Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel of Prince William Parish or Stoney Creek Presbyterian Chapel is a chapel located in McPhersonville, South Carolina about 4 mi west of Yemassee It was built about 1833. It is located on Pocotaglio Road. The chapel is only antebellum structure in McPhersonville. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 2002.
Prior to the Civil War, McPhersonville was the site of many summer homes for rice planter families aiming to escape malaria the higher ground. In 1832 land was set aside for the construction of a summer chapel.
During the Civil War the chapel was used as a hospital and campsite for the Union Army. Thankfully this beautiful chapel was spared from flame.
By 1967 the chapel was no longer in use. The chapel was assigned under the custody of First Presbyterian Church of Beaufort.
The chapel once again was action during the 1993 filming of Forrest Gump. This was the scene for the Four Square Baptist Church where Forrest goes to pray with the choir for shrimp.
The Greek Revival structure sits back off Pocotaligo Road.