Walterboro’s Hickory Valley Historic District lies northwest of the National Historic District. The district once had four key properties and fifteen supporting properties. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1821 and 1929 and reflect the architectural characteristics of the period. The homes include a concentration of early homes dating from Walterboro’s heyday as a pineland resort village for lowcountry planters.
Walterboro was founded in 1784 by planters seeking a healthy climate away from the malarial swamps of the Lowcountry. Modest summer cottages soon clustered in a thriving summer resort. The area of Hickory Valley was bound by Webb, Verdier, Valley and Witsell Streets. The area became a town commons, where military drills were performed, political meetings were held and recreation was enjoyed.
334 Wichman Street is home to this one-story Victorian frame residence built in 1910. A veranda extends across the entire front. It is supported by turned posts with sawn brackets. A balustrade connects the posts. The hip roof has a central cross gable with an arched vent and fish-scale shingles. The entrance has a transom and sidelights.
2. The Jones-McDaniel House at 418 Wichman Street was originally built as a one-story structure in 1835 by Jenkins Jones. The McDaniel family purchased the home and altered its appearance drastically in 1935. A semicircular portico was added with four colossal Iconic columns and oversized Scamozzi capitals. One story verandas extend from both sides of the central portico.
3. 125 Magnolia Street is home to this two-story frame house with two tiers of verandas. It was built in 1905 with a superimposed portico. Two Iconic columns on brick bases support a centered pediment. The lower veranda wraps around the sides of the home. It is supported by paired wooden columns on brick bases. The upper veranda has single columns.
4. The Beach-Fogarty House is located at 102 Webb Street. This house was built in 1910. It is a one-half story residence sheathed in weatherboard. The hip roof is accented with a pediment over the portico. The central doorway is surrounded by sidelights and a fanlight.
5. 201 Webb Street is the home of the Edward B. Fishburne House. Built circa 1829, this gable roof frame residence is sheathed in weatherboard. A shed-roofed veranda extends across the façade. It is supported by four square pillars. The five-bay façade has a central doorway complete with elliptical fanlight and sidelights. This house was once one of four key properties of the historic district. It is the only one that is still standing.
6. This one-story frame house can be found at 202 Webb Street. The exterior is covered in weatherboard and has a jerkinhead roof. A central hooded chimney rises from the roof. The entrance is protected by a small, pedimented portico.
Built circa 1920, the one and a half story frame house can be found at 205 Valley Street. A gable roof extends over the front porch with a quadruple window in the gable end. The front parch is supported by six wooden pillars. The central entry is surrounded by a transom and sidelights.
Hickory Valley was designated a Historic District in 1980. It includes several of the earliest and most prominent homes of Walterboro. Major architectural styles from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries are represented. The seven homes presented are all that remains of the district.
Part 2 of the Nationally Recognized Historic District.
The Walterboro National Historic District is characterized by diversity. The buildings in the National Register of Historic Places inventory range from the early nineteenth century when Walterboro was a summer retreat for antebellum planters to Greek Revival homes and late nineteenth century Victorians. Twentieth century Colonial Revivals and bungalows have been beautifully preserved as well. Gothic Revival and Queen Anne churches can also be found in historic Walterboro.
While the first part of the Walterboro National Historic District Tour focused on Wichman and surrounding streets, the second part of the Historic Walterboro Walking Tour will focus on the homes of Hampton, Carn and surrounding streets.
41. The O.T. Canady house at 109 Carn Street was built before 1890. The one-story frame house has prominent front gable with an oversized louvered opening. The veranda has turned Victorian posts and a decorative frieze in the entablature. Brackets enhance the gable. Paired windows flank the doorway, which is complete with transom and sidelights.
42. The Paul Hamilton Fripp House is located at 111 South Walter Street. Built in 1848, this house is the oldest of three Greek Revival homes in the neighborhood with similar design. A distinctive Greek key design in the wide entablature is the main focus below the parapet roofline. The symmetrical five-bay façade contains a centered doorway that is surrounded with a transom and sidelights. The veranda is supported by six square pillars with caps and turned balusters.
43. Walterboro City Hall can be found at 242 Hampton Street. This structure was built in the 1930s as a WPA project. It was later remodeled with the addition of a Palladian façade. The portico is supported with four Doric columns on high brick bases. The entablature has a denticulated cornice. Twin curving stairs are sheltered under the portico. The main entrance is centered and has a classic surround with pilasters, a pediment, and a large transom.
44. The Stokes-Smoak House sits at 248 Hampton Street. It is currently used as the City Hall Annex. Built in 1931, this two-story house was once the Camellia Inn. The bungalow style porch continues across the front and along the left side. It has square pillars on brick piers and a wide entablature. Exposed rafters are visible below the rooflines.
45. The Gahagan House is found at 422 Hampton Street. The rambling one-story home was built in 1905. The later addition of a bungalow porch with paneled, tapered posts on brick piers. A hip-roofed dormer has three windows. The porch wraps around both sides of the house. The façade is symmetrical with five bays. The central door has a transom and sidelights.
46. The Walterboro Water Tower can be seen from the corner of Memorial Avenue and Hampton Street. It raises 132 feet high and was made from 100,000 gallons of concrete. The tower was constructed in 1915 for city water storage. The first floor of the building was once used as a city jail. The tower can be seen across the downtown area.
47. The two- story house at 434 Hampton Street was built before 1883 and drastically altered in 1912. The pedimented porticos have rounded windows and paired, paneled square pillars with Ionic capitals. A balustrade surrounds the second level of the portico. A first level porch extends the five-bay façade. Both levels have central doorways complete with transom and sidelights.
48. The Godfrey House is at 445 Hampton Street. This substantial two-story frame house was built before 1905. It has a two-tiered veranda extending across the five-bay façade. Substantial tapered columns set on square brick piers support the lower porch roof while turned colonettes and a balustrade support and secure the second. A wide paneled frieze runs between the two levels. The entrance is framed with a narrow multilight transom and multilight sidelights.
49. The Stokes-Hiott House can be found at 458 Hampton Street. This asymmetrical two-story house was built between 1912 and 1920. The off-center portico has four giant Doric columns supporting the pediment. The main entrance has a louvered fanlight and sidelights. A porte cochere with a sunroom above sits to the right of the house and a first-floor addition is on the left.
50. The Padgett House is located at 461 Hampton Street. It was built in 1905. The one-story frame cottage has a gable roof and exterior end chimneys. A veranda with bracketed turned colonettes and a balustrade runs the length of the façade. The central doorway is surrounded with a transom and sidelights. Paired windows sit on either side of the door. Boxed cornices extend along the eaves of the house and veranda. They are also repeated on the side gables.
51. The Fripp-Hampton House can be found at 474 Hampton Street. This two-story home was built before 1905. The façade has five bays, in the center of which is a large portico supported with giant Ionic columns. The entrance is surrounded by a transom and sidelights and topped with a Georgian broken pediment. A central balcony was added to the second story after 1931.
52. The Jones House can be found at 475 Hampton Street. Built before 1905, the one-story gable roofed cottage has a central pavilion with gingerbread trim. The front porch extends the full length of the house and wraps around the central pavilion. Victorian turned posts and gingerbread brackets complete the porch. The central entrance, as well as the flanking doors have a transom and sidelights.
53. Hampton Street Elementary School is located at 494 Hampton Street. This building was constructed in the 1930s in the Art Moderne style. The school scenes from Forrest Gump, starring Tom Hanks were filmed here. It is now used as the Colleton Civic Center. Also, this is the location of the graduation scenes in the movie Radio, starring Cuba Gooding, Jr.
54. The Mims-Smith-Spell House at 487 Hampton Street was built before 1905. Originally, the one story, gable roof cottage was a duplicate of 475 Hampton Street. A veranda extends across the front of the house. It is topped with a central pavilion and gable. The veranda has been remodeled in the bungalow style. Square posts on high brick piers support the porch roof. A small gabled addition on the right has a gabled porch as well. Three doors are present on the front of the house. Each is surrounded by a transom and sidelights.
55. The Howell-Fishburne House can be found at 500 Hampton Street. Built around 1920, this two and a half story Colonial Revival house is three bays wide. The central doorway is surrounded by an elliptical tripartite fanlight and sidelights. The front portico, side portico and porte cochere are supported by paired Doric columns. Three large dormers sit in the slope of the roof.
56. The A.V. Glover House is located at 517 Hampton Street. This one-story 1874 frame cottage was home to the Colleton County historian, Miss Beulah Glover. It has a gable roof and shed roofed porch with tapered square posts. The entrance is centered in a three-bay façade. It has a transom and sidelights.
57. The Pearcy House is located at 523 Hampton Street. Built around 1920, this one and a half-story house has a jerkinhead roof and a shed-roofed dormer with three windows on the front slope. Doric columns support the porch, and an iron railing runs along the roof in front. The centered entrance has one sidelight to the right of the door. Double windows flank the door.
58. The Brown-Mitchell-Langley House is at 524 Hampton Street. Built between 1920 and 1930, this two-story frame house has a hipped roof and tripartite dormer. An L-shaped porch dominates the left side of the first level. The shed roof porch is supported by square pillars on brick piers. The railings have turned balusters. The doorway is surrounded by a thin transom and sidelights. A diamond-shaped window is placed to the left of the door.
59. The Terry-Dunwoody-Haws House is at 529 Hampton Street. This home was built prior to 1845. This two-story frame house became known as the “House of Refuge” following the tornado of 1879. Its hipped roof has large centrally located chimneys and is accentuated with a plain box cornice. The flat-roofed one-story front porch has groups of three Victorian turned posts in the outside corners. The main entrance has a transom and sidelights.
60. The Farmer House is located beside the library at 528 Hampton Street. The one-story frame cottage was built on Wichman Street around 1830 and moved to its current location in 1905. White, beaded weatherboard siding covers the exterior. Small wings flank the front porch. Paired windows are placed in the central portion. Porch posts with decorative cross-bracing are a later addition.
61. The bungalow at 601 Hampton Street was built around 1920. The one-story frame house has a gable roof. Double windows are to the right of the plain door and tripartite windows are to the left. The porch is supported with tapered square posts that extend to the left to create a porte cochere.
62. The bungalow at 607 Hampton Street was built in 1931. It is considered the best example of a bungalow type house in Walterboro. The one-story frame house has a pressed tin gable roof and a prominent gabled front porch. It has bracketed, overhanging eaves and square paneled pillars, which are grouped in threes in the corners. The porch gable is covered in wooden shingles and has a central louvered vent. The entrance is surrounded by a tripartite transom and sidelights.
63. The Bellinger-Ackerman House is located at 613 Hampton Street. Built around 1913 this two-story hip roofed frame house has a gabled, two-story pavilion on the right side, with triple windows on each level. A fanlight graces the gable. The front porch has a gabled extension and a porte cochere to the left. The porch is supported by square posts on piers. Cornices with robust brackets run the eaves of the house, porch, and eaves.
64. The Morrall-Marrin-Simmons House is located at 618 Hampton Street. The one-story brick house has a bungalow porch with tapered, square posts on brick piers. The front gabled extension has a central fireplace.
65 .617 Hampton Street was built in 1910. This one-story cottage has a gable roof and veranda across the front. An attached gazebo is on the right. It has imbricated shingle sides and an octagonal roof. The entrance is surrounded by transom and sidelights.
66. The Glover-Sprott-Marvin house is located at 621 Hampton Street. This two -story frame house was built between 1909-1913. A gable is centered on the front slope of the roof with an arched louvered opening. The symmetrical façade has double windows to either side of the door and above. The entrance is topped with a pediment and single window. The entrance is surrounded by transom and sidelights.
67. The Sylvester Guess House is at 628 Hampton Street. This two-story house was built in the early 19th Century. The façade is five bays wide with a central entrance. The entrance is protected under a portico on square posts. A transom tops the door.
68. The Heirs-Ackerman-Skardon House can be found at 625 Hampton Street. Built between 1910 and 1918, this two-story frame house has a one-story bungalow style front porch with tapered square paneled pillars on brick piers grouped in pairs. The symmetrical façade has a central entrance with sidelights and entablature. Tripartite windows flank the entrance. The hipped roof has a dormer centered on the front slope.
69. The bungalow at 629 Hampton Street was built in 1931. The thin gable roof has a low cross gable in front with overhanging bracketed eaves. The veranda is covered by the main roof. Tapered pillars on brick piers support the roof. The entrance is off centered between tripartite windows; the right being a bay window.
70. The two-story home at 701 Hampton Street was built in 1900. Four massive square pillars support the two-story portico. Both levels have central doorways, surrounded by transom and sig-delights. Tripartite windows flank the first level entrance with single windows above. A second-level porch with balustrade is supported between the two central columns.
71. The Price House is located at 707 Hampton Street. This one-story frame cottage was built in 1900. It has a high hipped roof and veranda with slim columns. The symmetrical façade is centered with double doors and a transom. Double windows flank the entrance.
72. The two-story home at 709 Hampton Street was built in 1880. An L-shaped porch extends along the front and left sides of the house. It is topped with a pyramidal tin roof. The porch has squared columns on each level and a balustrade on the second.
73. The two-story frame residence at 715 Hampton Street was built in 1920. The façade is topped with a pedimented front-end gable. Four fluted columns support the first level veranda. One story wings extend on both sides.
74. 719 Carn Street is home to this turn of the century one-story cottage known as the Ulmer House. A center gable with a boxed cornice sits above a porch that extends across the façade. The central entrance is complete with transom and sidelights. Double windows flank the doorway. Squared posts on brick piers were a later addition.
75. 703 Carn Street is home to this 1931 cottage. It has a low-pitched gable roof. A front gable with an elliptical arch protects the entryway. Paired square posts and bracketed eaves support the porch. The door is flanked by sidelights and double windows.
76. The bungalow at 701 Carn Street was built sometime around 1930. The front gable has overhanging, bracketed eaves. The front veranda extends across the façade. The entrance is off-center, between paired windows.
77. 613 Carn street is home to this 1931 cottage. The front gable has an overhang with bracketed eaves and extends to shelter a front porch with squared posts on brick piers.
78. The one-story bungaloid dwelling at 609 Carn Street was built around 1930. It has a gabled roof and two chimneys. The off-centered porch has tapered square posts on brick piers.
79. The Loper House can be found at 605 Carn Street. This one-story cottage was built around 1915. The symmetrical façade has five bays. A gable is centered over the entrance. Victorian turned posts and pierced brackets support the veranda. A balustrade surrounds the veranda. The doorway is complete with transom and sidelights.
80. The home at 429 Carn Street was built between 1912 and 1920. This one-story frame house has an L-shaped porch under the left corner of the hipped roof. The central entrance is surrounded by transom and sidelights. A bungalow style dormer is centered on the front slope of the roof.
81. This one-story frame cottage can be found at 418 Carn Street. It was built between 1912 and 1920. A wide front gable dominated the front roofline. The symmetrical façade has five bays. The central entrance has a transom and sidelights. Paired square posts support the porch roof which is topped with a Chinese Chippendale balustrade. Double windows flank the doorway, and a louvered arch is centered in the front gable.
82. The Sanders-Slotchiver-Grace House is located at 414 Carn Street. This two-story frame bungalow was built between 1916 and 1920. The roof is dominated by a dormer with tripartite windows. The first level porch is supported by tapered squared pillars on brick piers.
83. The Butler House at 229 South Memorial Street was built in 1912. This Victorian cottage is one story, with a gabled roof. A two-bay extension protrudes from the left side. A shed roof front porch is supported by turned and bracketed posts. Turned balusters complete the porch. The doorway is completed with transom and sidelights. The property also contains an old servant’s cottage in the rear.
84-85. The Wichman-Strobel House is located at 238 South Memorial Street. Its twin, the Wichman-Padgett House is just next door at 226 South Memorial Street. They are five bays wide with a parapet roofline. A flat-roofed piazza extends across the front façade. Greek key designs dominate the wide entablatures present across the roofline and piazza. Squared posts and turned balusters support and secure the piazza.
86. The McMillan House at 309 South Memorial Street, was built before 1905. The gabled extension on the right has a bay window and pediment. The pediment is decorated with a pendant with scalloped braces. A porch extends along the right side of the extension and across the front of the house. The porch has Victorian turned posts with pierced brackets and a balustrade. The front door and French windows are topped with transoms. A bracketed cornice continues around the house.
87. 403 South Memorial Street is home to the Durant-Padgett House. Built in 1904, this Victorian cottage has an asymmetrical shape. A gabled, semi-octagonal extension is seen to the left of the front entrance and a gabled extension is on the right side. A large front porch travels the length of the façade and wraps around both sides. Victorian turned posts with pierced brackets and a balustrade complete the porch. The entrance has a multilight transom and sidelights.
88. 203 Black Street is home to this one-story bungalow. Built between 1905 and 1912, this house has five bays. A veranda stretches across the front façade. The main doorway has a transom and sidelights. A right extension and dormer were added after 1931. Tapered square pillars on brick piers were also added.
89. Built around 1891, this one-story frame house sits at 221 Black Street. The symmetrical façade has five bays with a central gable on the slope of the roof. A shed-roofed veranda wraps around the front and sides of the house. Victorian turned posts, pierced brackets support the veranda, and a band of pierced decoration sits below the cornice and gables. A bracketed cornice continues around the house.
90. The Morrall-Cummings-Loper-Goodwin House can be found at 307 Black Street. This single-story frame cottage was built sometime between 1891 and 1905. The L-shaped design has a gabled extension on the right with a bay window. Another gable is centered in the slope of the roof over the doorway. The veranda extends across the front and along the left side of the house. Victorian posts with pierced brackets support the veranda. A band of pierced work can be found below the cornice. The railing has turned balusters. Bracketed cornice continues around the house and gables. Pierced woodwork details can be found in the upper angle of the gables. The doorway is flanked by multi-light sidelights.
Stroll the nationally recognized streets of Downtown Walterboro
The Historic District of Walterboro has a significant collection of properties located in the center of town. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1800 and 1945, representing a range of architectural styles representing the historical development of the town. Walterboro got its start as a pineland village which was settled by planters in search of a healthy summer retreat away from mosquito-borne illnesses. By 1832 the town had a summer population of 900 and a winter population of half that number. At the time the summer retreat had a courthouse, churches, a library, market house and academies for both boys and girls. The streets were laid out in 1839. Walterboro became the county seat of government in 1817 and continued to grow in political and social prestige until the Civil War. During Reconstruction, the town began to grow again as a meeting place for deposed planters. By 1880 Walterboro had thirteen stores and eight churches. By the mid-1890s Walterboro had the largest railway station between Charleston and Savannah. A great deal of downtown Walterboro was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. These homes have been lovingly restored and maintained. A walk along the oak lines streets to view these homes is a great activity to do while in the Lowcountry.
The Little Library (801 Wichman Street) was built when the Library Society was founded, in 1820. The building’s three-bay façade is covered in weatherboard and adorned with a fan light over the doorway. The Federal style building sits in a park located in front of the Bedon-Lucas House.
2. St. Jude’s Episcopal Church was founded in 1855 and rebuilt after the great cyclone of 1879. Sitting at 400 Fishburne Street, the Carpenter Gothic style church has board and batten exterior walls and simulated buttresses. Five lancet windows grace each side of the church and a steeple rises above. Just next door at 404 Fishburne Street sits the rectory for St. Jude’s Episcopal Church. This gable-roofed cottage was built around 1905. The five-bay façade has a central entrance with a multi light transom and sidelights. A one-story brick and concrete block building and outbuilding sit behind the church. They were both added in 1940.
3. The Bedon Lucas House (205 Church Street) was built in the early 1800s. This Federal style raised cottage is one of the few remaining high houses in Walterboro. These houses were built on higher ground and elevated to attempt to avoid the damp soil and mosquito-borne illnesses associated with summers in the Lowcountry. The house’s name comes from the first two occupants of the house: Mr. Bedon commissioned the building and Mr. Lucas bought it in 1840. The second owner also donated a portion of his front yard to create a park. Walterboro’s Little Library was moved here in 1843. The house was occupied by the Lucas family until the mid-1950s. It fell into disrepair and was acquired by the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society. The house was restored and serves as their headquarters. The house is available for tours. 843-549-9633. Read our Blog on the Bedon-Lucas House.
4. The Victorian cottage at 305 Church Street was built before 1905. The asymmetrical plan has a complicated roofline and an L-shaped extension on the left side. The slender porch columns of the porch have pierced brackets and turned balusters. Two doorways are surrounded by sidelights and are topped with transoms.
5. Built in 1931, the cottage at 406 Church Street has a gabled roof that extends to cover a large front porch with square pillars on brick piers. The façade is off-center between paired windows.
6. The Dr. James Klein House is located at 104 Valley Street. Built in 1844, the two-story house has a portico that is supported by four impressive Tuscan columns. The five-bay façade is centered with a double door surrounded by a transom and sidelights. A balcony complete with balustrade sits atop the entry.
7. 204 Valley Street is home to this 1920s bungalow. Built on a high brick basement, it has a gable roof which extends across the large front porch. Tapered square pillars on brick piers support the porch roof. The front entrance has side lights and is centered in the five-bay façade.
8. Sitting atop the hill at 208 Valley Street is this large one-story house. Built in 1920, the house sits on a high basement and has a large front porch that sits under the gable roof. The porch has square pillars on brick piers and bracketed, overhanging eaves.
9. The cottage at 212 Valley Street was built in 1941. The entrance is in a small front pavilion between paired windows.
10. The Glover-McLeod House can be found at 109 Savage Street. This house was built prior to 1839. It features a high basement and flanking chimneys. Two tiers of verandas adorn the façade. The centered doorway has a transom and sidelights. The second story porch can be accessed through each of the upper-level front rooms. The house sits back off the road, surrounded by live oak trees. The property also includes an antebellum servant’s house and outbuildings.
11. The Perry-Smoak House is found at 1011 Savage Road. This one-story antebellum cottage has a five-bay façade and sits on a high basement. The double entrance is centered under the shed roof of the front parch. Two symmetrical chimneys rise from the roof ridge.
12. The cottages of Savage Street can be viewed as you proceed on the route. The little cottage at 110 Savage Street has a gabled porch in the center of its façade with a louvered fan in the gable. The porch is supported with two tapered square pillars. The single-story frame house at 118 Savage Street has a gable roof and a small porch with paired columns on brick bases. The one-story frame house at 124 Savage Street has a hip roof porch and four fluted square posts. The entrance is centered and has an elliptical fanlight and sidelights.
13. The Palmer-Edwards House is at 1303 Wichman Street. This antebellum home is a one-story cottage with a gabled tin roof. The shed roof veranda is supported by six square posts and turned balusters. The main entrance is centered in a three-bay façade. Double doors are surrounded by a multi light transom and sidelights. The property also includes and outbuilding.
14. The Fraser House is located at 1217 Wichman Street. Built in 1856, the second story was a later addition. The porch has paired columns on piers, turned balusters and a wide entablature. The impressive entry has double doors, a transom, and sidelights.
15. The side of the lovely Padgett House adorns the corner of Lemacks and 1126 Wichman Street. It was built in 1900 for James Padgett, a member of the South Carolina Senate. The asymmetrical design is two and a half stories tall. Porches can be found on the front and side. A semi-circular porch bay dominates the left side of the façade and is balanced by two tiers of porches with paired columns on the right.
16. 401 N. Lemacks Street is a one-story wooden house. A bungalow style veranda extends across the front.
17. 227 Chaplin Street was built in the early 1900s. The one-story frame house is rectangular with a symmetrical façade. The central entrance is framed with a transom and sidelights. The porch was added in the 1930s. It was given a new jerkinhead roof in the 1960s.
18. The Church of the Atonement sits next door at 207 Chaplin Street. This small Victorian church was built in 1886. The frame construction has a high-pitched gable roof and square tower. The church and lower portion of the tower are covered in narrow weatherboards. The upper portion of the tower is faced with wooden shingles. The steeple rises above an open framework of braced timbers. The arched entrance is in the base of the tower, shaded by a small gabled hood.
19. 203 Chaplin Street has a tiny one-story frame dwelling with a gabled tin roof. The bungalow-style front porch was believed to have been added in the 1920s.
20. 111 Chaplin Street and the cottages of Tracy Street were built in the 1930s. These bungalows have a gabled rooves and front porches with tapered squared pillars on brick piers.
21. The tiny Gresham House is located at 200 Fishburne Street. Built in 1931, this little cottage has a low-pitched gable roof with the gable facing the street which has overhanging eaves and brackets. The entrance is under a small porch that is supported with square posts.
22. The Spell House can be found at 214 Fishburne Street. Built between 1912 and 1920, this one and a half-story frame house has a high gable with a central quadripartite window. The large porch is supported with paneled pillars on brick piers. Oversized sidelights and a transom surround the door.
23. The Warren House sits next door at 114 Bellinger Street. The one and a half story frame house was built in 1920. It is rectangular with a gable roof and a half story extended over the front porch. The front gable has three closely spaced windows and bracketed overhanging eaves. Four tapered, square posts support the second story above the porch. Double windows flank the front entrance that is surrounded by transom and sidelights.
24. The Fraser House is located at 112 Bellinger Street. This one-story bungalow was built in 1931. The asymmetrical plan has a front extension with paired windows on the right side. A porch complete with tripartite window and door with sidelights sits on the left side. A shed roof dormer has four windows.
25. . The McTeer House can be found at 108 Bellinger Street. This one-story bungalow was built in 1931. It has a gable roof which extends to shelter the porch. Substantial brick piers support the corners. The gable has bracketed overhanging eaves. The entrance has sidelights, and the front windows are paired.
26. Built before 1905, the First Baptist was built in the Queen Anne style. It became St. John’s Independent Methodist Church and is now the Fishers of Men T.M.D. Church. The frame building was built in a cruciform shape with oversized gable ends. The gables are covered in wooden shingles and are adorned with round louvered vents. The front entrance is in a small gabled porch with engaged square pillars. The windows are decorated with colored glass. 129 Neyle Street.
27. This large Victorian cottage at 123 Neyle Street was built around 1905. It boasts a high-pitched gable roof with a matching gable over the front porch. Two large, corbelled chimneys rise from the interior. The house has small flanking wings. The wraparound veranda is topped with a shed roof and supported by turned colonettes and balusters. The centrally placed entrance has a multi-light transom and sidelights.
28. The Miller-Fraser House is located at 734 Wichman Street. Built around 1885, the L-shaped house has a gabled front wing with paired windows and a denticulated cornice. A portion of the porch was enclosed.
29. St. Peter’s AME Church is located on Fishburne Street. This Gothic Revival church was built around 1870. It is rectangular, with a gable-roofed body and a square tower rising above the gabled front extension. The tower has four sections; the lower section contains the main entrance with double doors and a transom. The third level of the tower contains a multi-light window. The fourth level has traceried, pointed arched openings that are balustraded on the bottom. The steeple rises above the fourth level. The exterior is covered in weatherboard. The windows are multi-light with traceried, pointed, arch transoms. 302 Fishburne Street.
30. The cottage at 915 Wichman Street was built in 1920. The one and a half story frame house has an asymmetrical gable roof. The porch is covered by an oversized shed roof and dormer. The recessed veranda has tapered square pillars.
31. The house at 919 Wichman Street was also built in 1920. The two-story house has a flat roofed portico with four Ionic columns on brick bases. A veranda with paired colonettes on brick bases graces the first level and is topped with a balustrade on the second, which is recessed behind the portico. A porte cochere sits to the left which has been topped with a later addition.
32. The Fraser House sits at 918 Wichman Street. Built in 1858, the house is a one and a half-story frame cottage on a high basement. The tin roof is punctuated with twin dormers on the front slope. Six square posts support the shed roof porch. The entrance is centrally located in the five-bay façade. The door is surrounded by a transom and sidelights.
33. 1000 Wichman is home to this 19th Century bungalow. The square house has a hipped roof with two interior chimneys. The hipped roof porch has square posts on brick piers. The centered entrance has a multilight transom and partially paneled sidelights. The double doors have arched panels.
34. An L-shaped Victorian sits at 1004 Wichman Street. The house has a gabled front wing and shed roofed veranda. A 20th Century addition extends from the right side.
35. This 1906 beauty can be found at 1003 Wichman Street. The two-story frame house has a gable roof and two tiers of veranda. Squared posts support the porches, and a balustrade secures the second story porch. The centered entrance has multipaned sidelights.
36. The Bellinger House is located at 1009 Wichman Street. It was built in the early 1800s. The two-story frame house has a gabled tin roof. The entrance is centered between three bays. The door is framed with a transom and sidelights. The first-floor windows are tripartite in design. The original design included two tiers of veranda. The shed roofed porch and squared pillars are from a 1931 renovation
37. Built in 1926, the Hicks-Graham-Smith House sits at 1111 Wichman Street. This bungalow style house has a gable roof. The porch has been converted into a sunroom.
38. 1116 Wichman Street is home to a one-story frame cottage covered in shiplap siding. A porte cochere sits on the left and is balanced by a porch on the right. Tapered square posts on brick piers support the porch roof.
39. The Bellinger-Lewis-Moorer-Black House is located at 1123 Wichman Street. This t-shaped frame house was built in the early 20th Century. It has a complex roofline and a one and a half story central portion and two-story wings. The front gable has a tripartite window. The porch is supported by paneled square posts on piers.
40. Part 1 of the tour ends at the front of the lovely Padgett House. We viewed the side of this property in number 15.
Formerly known as Prince William Parrish Church, Old Sheldon Church Ruins sit discreetly off Highway 17. This church is known to be the first attempt in America to create a Greek Temple style of architecture. The church was built sometime between 1745-1753. The church interior was completed, and the first services were held in 1757. The gable roof, pediment, windows, and interior have long been devastated, but the remaining brick shell and columns stand the test of time.
These architectural renderings give us a glimpse of what the original structure looked like. The three-and-a-half-foot thick brick walls are laid in a Flemish bond. All columns and walls have remained intact for 276 years. The church was built along a row of seven Tuscan columns with tall, arched windows. A Palladian window was placed above the alter and flanked by arched windows. The front façade held a massive portico, topped by a triangular pediment complete with bull’s eye window and a cornice with dentil molding. The entranceway was topped with a tall fanlight and two arched windows are positioned on either side.
This grand chapel of ease stood as a symbol of the wealth that was being accumulated around the area. After completion it was thought of as the finest country church in America. This church is the first example of a temple-form neoclassical building in America. It became a prototype of Greek revival architecture that became characteristic throughout the antebellum south.
The church was a political and military center for the area during the Revolutionary War. Governor William Bull was a founding member here and his plantation bordered the church grounds. The Bull family vault in the church yard was used to conceal arms and ammunition. Continental troops drilled on the church grounds. The church was burned by General Augustine Prevost’s British troops in May 1779. The church was rebuilt from the remaining walls in 1825.
Traditionally, it was thought that the church was burned again during Sherman’s March to the Sea at the end of the Civil War. While the church was again destroyed, a letter dated February 3, 1866 by Milton Leverett states, “Sheldon Church not burnt. Just torn up in the inside but can be repaired.” It is now thought that the church was gutted by locals who were in search of building materials to rebuild their own war-devastated homes. (This information comes from the Leverett Letters, which was published by the University of South Carolina Press.) After this destruction, the church was abandoned and left to ruin.
Images show the interior view from the alter looking toward the front door, the view from the road and the interior view from the front entrance toward the alter. William Bull’s grave can be seen directly in front of the alter. Images by Carmen Pinckney.
The building was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places on October 22, 1970. The site is owned and maintained by the Parish Church of St. Helena in Beaufort. The ruins are a beautiful feature set amongst ancient live oaks, dripping in Spanish moss, and old graves of members past. Governor William Bull is buried here in a place of honor in front of the interior alter. Today the ruins are surrounded by fencing to protect the historic site. While visiting, please respect the property as hallowed ground. The Sheldon Church Ruins are located on Old Sheldon Church Road between Yemassee and Beaufort, just off Highway 17.
Information found on the National Register of Historic Places, S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, the Leverett Letters, and Historic Resources of the Lowcountry.
Looking for a place to practice social distancing while enjoying the natural wonder of the South Carolina Lowcountry? The grounds of Coastal Discovery Museum are just what you’re looking for!
The Coastal Discovery Museum is located on Hilton Head Island. The museum displays permanent and travelling exhibits that focus on the Lowcountry’s natural history and cultural heritage. The museum and its grounds are a part of the Honey Horn property. Interpretive trails wind through the woods and along the marsh and Jarvis Creek. This is a great place to spend the day while social distancing.
The Coastal Discovery Museum’s Discovery House is located along the main road into Honey Horn. Stop in the museum first to view the exhibits. Admission is free. This building dates back to 1859. It holds both temporary and permanent exhibits that focus on the Lowcountry’s natural history and cultural heritage. There’s also a Kid’s Zone to keep the little ones entertained.
The vistas seen from the trail boardwalks stretch across the marsh and tidal creek. While walking, be on the lookout for interpretive panels that explain the natural beauty of Lowcountry estuaries and marine habitat.
The property is home to several live oak trees that were planted in the early 1800s. You can also find a former state champion Southern Red Cedar tree on the property. This is one of the largest of its kind in the state. The germination date has been estimated at 1595. Bald cypress, Dogwood, Gingko, Southern Magnolia and Pecan trees can also be seen here.
While walking the grounds, be sure to stop at the replica shell ring. Native Americans built similar rings as far back as 4,000 years ago. The exact purpose of these rings is unknown. The Coastal Discovery replica shell ring was built with real Native American oyster, whelk and clam shells, animal bones and other historic materials.
No trip to the Coastal Discovery Museum is complete without touring the Karen Wertheimer Butterfly Habitat. This enclosed greenhouse garden is home to a number of native butterflies from May to October. Nectar plants feed the butterflies while host plants are covered in eggs and feeding caterpillars. Informative panels are placed throughout the garden to educate visitors on the life cycle of the butterfly.
There are many gardens spread across the property. The Carnivorous Plants Bog Garden is home to the Venus fly trap, pitcher plants and sundews. These are all native to South Carolina. These plants expertly trap insects with their unique adaptations. The Heritage Garden features more than 30 plant species that are historically significant to the Lowcountry. Some of these varieties were used by Native Americans, while others were grown by Gullah islanders. Many of these plants are responsible for survival on the barrier islands after the Civil War. The Camelia Garden contains 131 different types of camellias. Some of the varieties were even developed in the Lowcountry.
Don’t forget to wander over to the barns before you leave. The pole barn was built in the 1950s to store farming and timbering equipment. Look for the 400-pound cowling of an Atlas V rocket that washed up on the beach at Hilton Head in 2010. The horse barn was added in the 1930s. It was renovated by the museum in 2008 and is now home to two Marsh Tacky horses: Comet and Hawk. The Marsh Tacky is the South Carolina State Heritage Horse.
Bring Fido along for your next dog-friendly adventure to the South Carolina Lowcountry!
Dogs are considered family members and are treated as such in the Lowcountry. Accommodations, restaurants, tours, beaches, and charters can be found that welcome the addition of dogs to the party. Here’s a selection of activities in the South Carolina Lowcountry that are dog-friendly.
Parks and Outdoor Areas that are dog-friendly:
Hunting Island State Park allows dogs on a leash in the park. They are not allowed in cabin areas or inside the lighthouse complex. They are also not allowed on the northern tip of the island to protest critical shorebird habitat. Pets are allowed in most other outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. Take advantage of the many walking trails located throughout the park.
Lake Warren State Parkallows dogs inmost outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. The trails at the park make excellent walking paths for dogs.
Edisto Beach State Parkallows dogs in most outdoor areas including the trails provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. Pets are not allowed in the cabins or the cabin areas.
Colleton State Parkallows dogs in most outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. Pets are not allowed in or around lodging facilities.
Dogs are permitted onHilton Head beachesbefore 10 am and after 5 pm Memorial Day through Labor Day. Dogs must be on a leash or under positive voice control at all other times.
Hilton Head Island’s Chaplin Community Park off-leash dog park is located off William Hilton Parkway between Burkes Beach Road and Singleton Beach Road. This is a great place to bring the dogs to play with others.
Hilton Head Sea Pines Forest Preserve and Audubon Newhall Preserve allow dogs on a leash.
Hilton Head Fishing charters and river cruises that allow dogs include Captain Mark’s Dolphin Cruise, Vagabond Cruise, Calibogue Cruises, Runaway Fishing Charters, and Over Yonder Charters. For websites and more information visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/charters/.
Hardeeville’sSgt Jasper Park has many walking trails that are perfect for short hikes with your dog. Ridgeland’s Blue Heron Nature Trail is also a good place for dog walking. Both parks are conveniently located just off I-95.
Hardeevillealso has an off-leash dog park located in the Richard Gray Sports Complex behind City Hall, 205 Main Street. The park is divided into areas for small and large dogs. There’s also a designated area for senior dogs as well. The park has shaded benches and doggie water fountains. The park is conveniently located just off I-95, making it a great place to let the pups run off energy.
Yemassee’s Frampton Plantation Visitors Center enjoys visiting with dogs. They are allowed inside and out! Plan a picnic on the grounds and take the dog for a walk through the woods. Come inside and visit with the friendly staff that love visits from leashed dogs. The center is located on I-95 at Exit 33.
Beaufort Bricks on Boundary Common Ground Coffeehouse and Market Café Hemingways Bistro Luther’s Rare & Well Done Panini’s on the Waterfront Plums After a downtown meal, be sure to go for a walk at the Henry C Chambers Waterfront Park.
St Helena Island Johnson Creek Tavern Marsh Tacky Market Café After a St. Helena meal, walk through the Chapel of Ease and Ft. Fremont.
HHI Skull Creek Boathouse Captain Woody’s Old Oyster Factory Crazy Crab Up the Creek Pub & Grill Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks Fishcamp on Broad Creek Go for a walk through Audubon Newhall Preserve or Sea Pines Forest Preserve.
Bluffton The Cottage Old Town Dispensary Katie O’Donalds Okatie Ale House Fat Patties Guiseppi’s Pizza Captain Buddy’s Charters Go for a walk through the many parks in the Old Town area of Bluffton, or Victoria Bluff Heritage Preserve.
Walterboro Fat Jacks Sonic Drive-in After dinner, stroll through the Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary.
Edisto Island Seacow Eatery Flowers Seafood Pressley’s at the Marina La Retta’s Pizzeria McConkey’s Jungle Shack After dinner, walk through Bay Creek Park or Edisto Beach State Park.
Ridgeland Alchile Mexican Grill Eats & Sweets Bakery Fiddlers Seafood PJ’s Coffee House Go for a walk through Blue Heron Nature Center’s trail after dinner.
Dog friendly accommodations are easy to find in the Lowcountry. Many rental homes, hotels and bed & breakfast locations are happy to accept your furry friends.
Certain rooms at the Anchorage 1770 are also dog friendly. Just let the staff know you plan to bring your furry friend, and you will be booked accordingly. The Beaufort Inn also allows dogs.
While visiting Lowcountry parks and wildlife management areas, dog owners are required to remove and properly dispose of the animal’s excrement. Please keep in mind, it is illegal to allow pets to chase or harass wildlife.
When going on outings with your dog be sure to bring food, trail treats, water and water bowl, plastic bags, leash, and collar. Make sure your current contact information is on your dog’s collar. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Limited mobility is not a problem in the SC Lowcountry.
The South Carolina Lowcountry is the perfect destination for people with limited mobility. The consistency of our flat ground makes reaching many attractions easily attainable. Come tour the natural beauty of our unspoiled landscape. Bask in the sunshine at one of our beaches, view the carefully preserved architecture and experience a fishing expedition. There’s something here for everyone!
For beautiful sunsets that are unmatched in beauty, head over to Port Royal’s Sands Boardwalk. Make sure to stop by the Cypress Wetlands Rookery on the way. Roll through the paved trail loop and look for egrets, herons, eagles and migratory birds.
Interested in fishing while in Beaufort? Head over to the Crystal Lake Park. The 25-acre park has a boardwalk that surrounds the lake and has docks that are perfect for catch and release fishing.
Looking for nighttime fun? Beaufort is one of the few cities where you can step back in time and go to a drive-in movie. The Highway 21 Drive-in has been updated with a digital format and concession stand snacks can be ordered online. They have two screens which show double features Thursday – Sunday nights. Grab your blankets and pillows and have fun the old-fashioned way!
Like to go camping on the beach? The Hunting IslandState Park Campground has an all-terrain wheelchair and Handicapped-equipped restrooms and mobi-mats that allow for smooth access to the beach. There’s also another wheelchair located near the lighthouse. Call 843-838-2011 for more information. Visit the nature center and the marsh boardwalk. Both are accessible by wheelchair. Tour the grounds of the lighthouse and see the footprint of the former facilities.
Beaufort’s Spanish Moss Trailis a 12-ft wide trail that follows the path to Parris Island that was used by the railroad to bring recruits to the marine training facility. No longer in use, the rails were removed, and a trail was constructed to lead visitors and locals along a path that winds through wooded areas and across the waterways of Beaufort County. Fishing can be done from several bridges along the way.
Old Town Bluffton is located along the shores of the May River. Stroll along the paths of the Oyster Factory Park or Wright Family Park. Oyster shell-paved sidewalks lead right to the door of theGarvin-Garvey House for a tour of Bluffton’s restored freedmen cottage. If Spending a Day in Old Town Bluffton be sure to visit the Church of the Cross, and stroll through the grounds of the Heyward House Museum.
The Bluffton Shell Art Trail is another fun outdoor activity that is accessible. Download the map and set out to discover all 21 shells that are placed throughout the historic district.
Hilton Head is home to the Coastal Discovery Museum. This facility also has nature trails and a butterfly pavilion. The museum also conducts tours on site and around the island.
If getting out on the water is on the agenda, spend an afternoonSailing the Coastal Waters. Tours range from dolphin searching to dinner cruises.
The town of Hilton Head offers matting for regular wheelchairs near beach accesses at Alder Lane, Coligny Beach Park, Driessen Beach Park, Fish Haul Beach Park, Folly Field Beach Park, and Islanders Beach Park. The town does not offer modified wheelchairs. Call 843-341-4600 for more information.
Daufuskie Island is an adventure that is not to be missed. The island is situated between Savannah and Hilton Head. It is only accessible by boat. Ferry services are available. Rent a golf cart and explore the Robert Kennedy Trail and learn the History of this Gullah Paradise where Pat Conroy used to teach in a two-room schoolhouse. Explore the island to your heart’s content with so much to see. Experience the secluded beaches, Daufuskie Island Rum Company, Bloody Point Lighthouse, Historic Gullah Homes, Mary Field School, The Iron Fish Studio, historic churches, Silver Dew Winery, and so much more.
Hampton County is home to the Lake Warren State Park. Enjoy fishing in the lake for largemouth bass, brim, redbreast, and other freshwater fish. There are docks to fish from shore or you can rent a boat and troll the 200-acre lake.
Hardeeville is home to the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. This vast natural wonder has a driving tour through former rice fields that are teaming with an abundance of waterfowl. Look for alligators and migratory birds as you make the slow drive through the refuge.
Sgt. Jasper Park is another great place to view nature in Hardeeville. Several of the trails are designed for people with mobility impairment. You can also fish at the park.
Ridgeland’s Blue Heron Nature Trail winds around a pond and its surrounding wetlands. It’s conveniently located just off the interstate. It’s a great place to get out of the car and take in fresh air and relaxation.
Another Jasper County gem that’s located on I-95 is the Frampton Plantation House Visitors Center and Museum. It has sidewalks, a picnic area and ramp for guests with disabilities. Come inside and see the 153 year-old house that was saved from demolition by the Lowcountry Tourism Commission.
The newly opened Walterboro Wildlife Center features native wildlife of the state’s largest city park, the Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary. Come to the center to view the interpretive exhibit hall showcasing plant and animal life. ClickHERE to see the newest addition to the collection. After a visit to the center, drive over to tour the sanctuary and experience nature firsthand.
Edisto Island is steeped in history and natural beauty. Botany Bay Wildlife Management Area is a beautiful spot to tour from your car. The entrance to the former plantation property is lined with an iconic alley of live oaks dripping in Spanish moss. Upon check-in, guests receive a driving tour map that includes information on the history of the property.
The Henry Hutchinson House is another Edisto Island treasure. The house was built by a freedman during Reconstruction. It is the oldest house of its kind on the island. It has recently been restored and the exterior is on display to celebrate this important time in American history.
Edisto Beach has rolled out the carpet for beach goers with disabilities – literally! New mats have been installed for visitors with mobility impairment. Beach wheelchairs are also available at the fire station. Simply call 843-869-2505, ext. 217 to make a reservation.
Reconstruction Era history is preserved on.Edisto’s Henry Hutchinson House gets a facelift, and much more!
Edisto Island is rich in Lowcountry history. A visit to the museum or one of the historic churches will put you in touch with the many former inhabitants and how they lived their lives in this coastal paradise. Highway 174 is the island’s yellow brick road that leads to the beach, dividing the island in half, from stem to stern. A little over halfway, just before the Old Post Office Restaurant, sits Point of Pines Road. A left turn down this unassuming country road leads to the Henry Hutchinson House. Look carefully to the left after passing Clark Road. Standing proudly in a field of green, is a very important part of the storied past of Edisto Island and the Reconstruction Era.
In recent years, the house sat in dilapidation, as a photographer’s dream and a historic preservationist’s nightmare. The humble, but brightly painted green and red cottage has sat uninhabited for 40 years. In this time the forgotten framing, wooden siding and trim boards suffered heavily from the elements. overgrown landscape began to envelop the house in a cocoon of native foliage.
Built just two decades after the Civil War, the house and its builder play an especially important role in history. Henry Hutchinson was the son of a prosperous African American. His father James Hutchinson, along with other freedmen earned the nickname “Kings of Edisto.” He worked diligently while in bondage and later as a freedman to improve the conditions for blacks on the island. Born a slave in 1860, Henry went on to prosper as well. At the time of his marriage in 1885, Henry built this cottage as a wedding present for his bride. Just a stone’s throw away, he built and operated the island’s first freedman-owned cotton gin from 1900-1920. The infestation of the boll weevil would put an end to cotton production on the island. Today this house stands as the oldest identified freed-man’s cottage on Edisto Island. Henry lived here with his family until his death in 1940. Descendants occupied and maintained the house until about 1980. Since that time, the house has sat vacant.
The one and a half story cottage features three dormer windows and Victorian adornments. The rectangular house has a side gabled roof and is clad in weatherboard. Attention was paid to detail when building and decorating this house. Great pride went into the production of details that were dressed-to-impress. Hand-carved trim was applied above the first story porch and upper story roofline. Dormer windows were also crowned in fine Victorian style. When built, the residence was wrapped in porches that were later removed. The restoration hopes to replace the porch and restore the house to its original design. Listed on the National Register in 1987, the house and surrounding acreage is currently in the loving hands of the Edisto Open Land Trust.
Purchased in 2017, the Edisto Open Land Trust has worked diligently to put a plan in place to restore the house to its former glory. After acquisition, a massive canopy was placed over the remains to stop any further damage to the historically significant property. A large team of consultants and contractors have worked on behalf of the EOLT to stabilize the house. Upon inspection, the team realized the lightly framed house was compromised by rot and bugs. The exterior siding and interior paneling were basically holding the house together. Temporary stud walls were put in place to brace the 800 sq. ft. house while stabilization work was completed.
Today, the house has been stabilized. A new roof and siding have been added as well. The windows have been replaced with period glass, and the canopy has been removed. Future projects include replicating the three-sided porch and missing exterior Victorian details. Rear addition and interior restorations are also planned. The Trust hopes to include a public path around the historic property. Future endeavors aim to open the house as a museum by 2022.
Visitors are encouraged to see the work that has taken place. A parking area has been put in place with interpretive signs detailing the history of the house and its importance as a survivor of the Reconstruction Era when African Americans prospered in a new way. The house tells the story of the late 19th century Kings of Edisto and their success. The Henry Hutchinson House can be found at 7666 Point of Pines Road on Edisto Island.
Information gathered from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Charleston Post & Courier articles, and Edisto Open Land Trust Newsletter.
Winter is Oyster Season in the SC Lowcountry. Come to the Beaufort Oyster Festival – Queen of the Carolina Sea Islands every January
The shores of the South Carolina Lowcountry are known for their oyster harvests. What would our winters be without a good, old-fashioned oyster roast? Typically, in our neck of the woods, if the month ends in “R”, we’re eating our fill of this delicious shellfish. The Beaufort Area Hospitality Association is delighted to host the Beaufort Oyster Festival. This multi-day festival will celebrate all aspects of the Lowcountry and the Carolina Sea Islands oystering culture.
The festival will be held alongside the yearly Tides to Tables event. This is Beaufort’s celebration held in conjunction with South Carolina Restaurant Week. The events will culminate in a weekend of mini-festival events held throughout Beaufort County.
The festival kicks off with the Oyster Festival 5K. The festival is held downtown Beaufort at the waterfront park.
Come share in this family-friendly event that is held every January. Educate yourself on the life cycle of an oyster. Taste oyster dishes and beverages from local food trucks and enjoy the entertainment. Admission to this event is free, but you must buy tickets to purchase food and other goodies.
Lady’s Island Oyster Companywill be on hand to serve single lady oysters. Grab your friends, enjoy the oysters, grab a drink and enjoy the live music. Order Lady’s Island oysters for your next oyster roast. 35 Hutson Drive, Seabrook, (843)473-5018
Magionni Oyster Company will celebrate the tradition of oyster roasts the way the locals do it. This talented family will set up a good old fashioned oyster roast in the waterfront park. When in season, oysters can be purchased at the Port Royal Farmers Market every Saturday, or visit 440 Eddings Point Road, Saint Helena Island, (912)844-1031.
Lady’s Island Oyster Inc will also be serving oyster dishes. Their oysters are harvested from their very own hatchery in the Lowcountry. Oysters can be ordered from Lady’s Island Oyster Inc by calling 843-473-5018.
This in-town green space boasts a nature trail that travels around a three-acre pond and through forested wetlands filled with ferns and native plants. The property also includes a butterfly garden, picnic area, outdoor classroom, observation decks, and a Nature Center. Permanent trailside displays help visitors learn more about the native flora and fauna of Jasper County and the Lowcountry.
Along the trail you will find benches, swings, and an attractive butterfly garden. Be on the look-out for wildlife that frequently stop along the shores of the pond.
In addition to the herons, you may see egrets, ducks, turtles, fish, alligators, and other wildlife. The forest boardwalks take visitors in two different directions so make sure you travel both ways.
The nature trail is open daily dawn to dusk. The Nature Center is open Monday thru Friday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Here you’ll find many displays of animals and other interesting facts about the South Carolina Lowcountry.
There is a parking lot that has plenty of room for a camper. The nature trail is also dog-friendly but be sure to pick up what your furry friend puts down.
Get out of the traffic and spend some quality time wandering around this natural gem located at 321 Bailey Lane in Ridgeland.
See what our visitors love about the
SOUTH CAROLINA LOWCOUNTRY
Use the #hashtag #sclowcountry to get your image featured!
The Lowcountry & Resort Islands Region of South Carolina includes the four, southern-most counties in the state, Beaufort, Jasper, Hampton, and Colleton, which are bordered on the east by the Atlantic Ocean and on the west by the Savannah River and the state of Georgia.