Let’s Get Pickin’ – Local produce can be found across the Lowcountry

Farm Fresh Produce in the SC Lowcountry

 

Farm fresh local produce can be found during the spring and summer months throughout the SC Lowcountry. From u-pick farms, to produce stands and farmers markets, seasonal produce is abundant in our neck of the woods!

 

 

U-Pick

Beaufort County

You can find Dempsey Farms on the way to Hunting Island State Park, Harbor and Fripp Islands. The farm has various produce throughout the seasons, starting with strawberries in April.  They are a working family farm growing produce for the last sixty years. For a farm fresh experience stop by and pick with us. Follow their Facebook page to see what is available.

1576 Sea Island Pkwy.
St Helena Island, SC 29920
843-838-3656

Bluffton’s Okatee River Farms has a great selection of local fruit and produce. This small family farm is located 1/2 mile from 278 in Bluffton, SC. They grow tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, okra, peppers and strawberries. April and May is the perfect time to stop by for u-pick strawberries. Follow their Facebook page to see what’s available.

1921 Okatie Hwy.
Okatie SC
843-206-5023

Colleton County

 Breland Hill Farm is a multigenerational family farm raising fruits, vegetables, and much more! A market is located in Ruffin. Housed in a repurposed tobacco barn, they grow, process, and sell all of their farm products here. U-pick strawberry fields are also located here. Visit their Facebook page to see what’s in season.

849 Spence Dr.
Ruffin, SC 29475
843-866-7560 Call for hours of operation.

 

 

Shop at the Farm

 

Beaufort County

Morning Glory Homestead is a family farm on St. Helena Island, which uses sustainable agriculture methods to feed the community. This small family farm began as a homestead for a family of seven. Visitors to the farm can buy seasonal produce, bakery items, eggs and honey. You can also call to schedule a farm tour. The tour includes the rich history of the Gullah community.

For more information visit their blog.

Mon – Fri:  By Appointment
42 Robert & Clara Trail
St. Helena Island, SC
843-812-0344

Bluffton’s Okatee River Farms has a great selection of local fruit and produce. They currently have u-pick strawberries. They are also currently planting sunflowers for harvest. They also have seasonal fruit and veggies throughout the year. Visit their Facebook page to see what’s in season.

1921 Okatie Hwy.
Okatie SC
843-206-5023

Colleton

Kindlewood Farms was born from the interest in the age old techniques of grafting and a passion to create quality, sustainable produce. We are dedicated to producing high quality heirloom tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, okra, corn, squash, cucumbers, watermelon, and cantaloupe. We also grow grafted heirloom tomato plants and grafted cucurbits. Visit their Facebook page to see what’s in season and where to find them.

kindlewood.farms@gmail.com
(843)302-2312

Jasper County

If you are in Jasper County and looking for fresh eggs, look no farther than Earleah Plantation. Call for more information or to order and pick up fresh eggs.
843-540-2200,  earleahvintageglass@gmail.com

Whipporwhill Farms is a40-acre small family farm offering fresh chicken, rabbit and pork as well as fresh eggs and seasonal veggies. Come to the farm Monday, Wednesday or Sunday to shop on site, or find them at the Hilton Head Farmers Market at Coastal Discovery Museum on Tuesdays. Visit their Facebook page to see what’s in stock.

870 Tillman Road
Ridgeland, SC
843-473-5231

Hampton County

Murdaugh Farms is a family-owned and operated farm offering a large variety of produce throughout the year. Some of the produce offered include the well-known Hampton County watermelons, squash (several varieties), cucumbers, zucchini, corn, red potatoes and other varieties of potatoes, okra, carrots, collard greens and many other types of produce. As produce becomes available, it will be posted on the Facebook page. We sell our produce both to the wholesale and retail markets as well as to individual buyers looking for just enough for a meal or two.

22603 Pocotaligo Road
Early Branch, SC
803-942-3814

Drawdy Farms is a family-owned business, selling fresh locally grown fruits and veggies. Their produce stand is open year around, with whatever is in season at the time. We proudly serve the low country and support local farmers. Join their Facebook page for weekly updates!

2598 Hopewell Rd
Brunson, SC

 

The Port Royal Farmer’s Market is open Saturdays, from 9 am-noon, rain or shine. You will find fresh, local, seasonal produce, shrimp, oysters, poultry, beef, pork, eggs, bread and cheese. If you have a green thumb, look for plants, ferns, camellias, azaleas, citrus trees and beautiful, fresh cut flower bouquets. Check out the fabulous prepared food vendors serving BBQ, dumplings, she crab soup, crab cakes, paella, coffee, baked goods, bagels and breakfast sandwiches. Find them at the Port Royal Naval Heritage Park at the intersection of Ribaut Road and Pinckney Blvd.

The Bluffton Farmers Market is open Thursdays, from 12-5 pm. Come find fresh, locally grown vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs at the Farmers Market of Bluffton. Gather with locals and tourists at this weekly community event to buy excellent produce, enjoy delicious food, listen to entertainment, and relax with friends. Located in historic downtown Bluffton along Calhoun and Lawrence Streets and through Carson Cottages, this family friendly market showcases local growers, local food vendors, local entertainment, local community causes and local information about the Bluffton area. Find them at 71 Green Street in historic Bluffton.

Come to the Hilton Head Island Farmers Market at Coastal Discovery Museum and take home fresh produce, chicken, rabbit, pork, seafood, salsa, fresh sausage, beef, meals to cook, cookies, breads, she crab soup and much more! The market is open every Tuesday from 10-3 in the spring, summer and fall. Hours shorten to 9 am-1 pm in the winter. Shopping at the Hilton Head Farmers Market is about more than getting great food, it is about meeting friends, strengthening the community, and rebuilding the local food economy. Find the Hilton Head Farmers Market on the grounds of Coastal Discovery Museum, 70 Honey Horn Drive, on Hilton Head Island.

The Ridgeland Farmers Market hosts a variety of vendors, including produce, baked goods, prepared meals, arts, crafts and estate sales. The market is located on Main Street in downtown Ridgeland. They are open Fridays, from 1-6 pm.

Hampton Farmers Market – 803-943-2586 Highway 278, Hampton

 

 

Roadside Markets

Beaufort County

Barefoot Farms – 939 Sea Island Parkway St. Helena, SC, (843) 838-7421

Dempsey Farms – 1576 Sea Island Parkway, St. Helena, SC, (843) 838-3656

Four Seasons Produce and Nursery – 1611 Trask Pkwy, Seabrook, SC, (843) 846-2777

Lowcountry Produce – 1919 Trask Pkwy, Seabrook, SC, (843) 846-9438

Pasture Shed Farm – 1083 Sea Island Parkway St. Helena Island, SC, (843) 812-8366

Colleton County

Keegan-Filion Farm – 1475 Keegan Drive, Walterboro, SC, (843) 538-2565

Rizer’s Pork and Produce – 2357 Confederate Hwy., Lodge, SC, (843) 866-2645

Breland Hill Farm 1002 Bells Hwy, Walterboro, SC, (843)5497560

Jasper

Whippoorwhill Farms – 870 Tillman Road, Ridgeland, SC, (843)473-5231

Hampton

Drawdy Farms 2598 Hopewell Rd, Brunson

 

 

Community Supported Agriculture

Beaufort County (Bluffton) – Three Sisters Farm

Colleton – Kindlewood Farms

 

 

Fresh Meat & Seafood

Beaufort

Sea Eagle Market is a family owned and operated retail and wholesale market and catering company located at 2149 Boundary St. in Beaufort. Stop by and pick up soft shell crabs, shrimp and more! Open Monday thru Saturday, from 9 am – 6 pm. For daily information visit their Facebook page. (843)521-5090

Maggioni Oyster Company is South Carolina’s largest provider of premium quality wild-harvested bushels and single oysters. They harvest oysters at low tide, wash off the briny mud, and deliver them directly to their customers. Maggioni Oyster Company first opened on Daufuskie Island in 1883 and later built a cannery in Beaufort. They have been family owned and operated for five generations. Find them at 440 Eddings Point Rd, on St. Helena Island. (912)844-1031

Lady’s Island Oysters specializes in single lady oysters, grown in the clean, crisp waters of the SC Lowcountry. The estuaries that nurture their oysters are filled with pure salt water flowing directly from the Atlantic Ocean. Great pride is taken to nurture oysters from hatchery to harvest. Find them at 35 Hutson Drive, in Seabrook. (843)473-5018

Bluffton

Bluffton Oyster Company has been a family run operation since 1899. The Bluffton Oyster Company actually sits on reclaimed land, built up by more than a hundred years of discarded shells from previous shucking operations. The oyster business thrived in early Bluffton and throughout the 1920’s, with five different oyster operations in the area. Now the Bluffton Oyster Company remains the last hand-shucking house in the state of South Carolina. They specialize in fresh local seafood; oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, fish filets, soft shell crabs and live blue crabs. Hours of operation are 9 am – 5:30 pm, Monday thru Saturday. You can also purchase fried shrimp, oysters and soft shell crab at the Bluffton Farmers Market on Thursdays. Find them at 63 Wharf St. (843)757-4010

Edisto Island

Flowers Seafood has been commercially fishing and serving fresh, local seafood on Edisto Island for four generations. Come into their family owned seafood market and browse the selection of fresh, wild caught seafood. They have a large selection of fish, shrimp, crabs, and other seafood that comes “fresh  off the boat” daily. If you’re interested in cooked food try their “To-Go”  restaurant located right behind Flowers Seafood Company.  The same fresh seafood is made ready to order. Stop by on your way to Edisto Beach. The market is open Monday-Saturday, from 9 am-6 pm, and Sunday 9 am-5 pm. The Flowers Seafood To-Go Food Truck is open Thursday-Saturday 11 am-7 pm. They are located just six miles from the beach at 1914 Hwy 174, Edisto Island, SC (843)869-0033 (Market), (843)869-3303 (kitchen/to-go orders)

Ridgeland

Fiddler’s Seafood Market and Restaurant is a historical and beloved destination where fresh seafood is enjoyed and homemade goods are shared. Fiddlers gives customers an authentic taste of local, old-fashioned southern comfort. Their seafood is either caught by Fiddler’s owner, Billy Rowell on his very own boat or purchased from local fishermen. Within walking distance of their restaurant is the seafood market, where customers can bring home southern hospitality in its finest form. Fresh produce, homemade baked goods, and local crafts are all created by our own staff, or by the artisans of the Ridgeland, SC community. Visit their Facebook page to see what’s going on in the restaurant and market, or visit for yours self. The restaurant is located at 7738 West Main Street, (843)726-6681. The seafood market is just around the corner at 572 South Green Street, (843)726-6691.

Hampton

Tuten’s Fresh Market Meat and Seafood is Hampton’s finest local butcher shop. This family owned business has been around for over 30 years. Ran by an expert butcher and grill master, Tuten’s is dedicated to delivering the very best meat and freshest seafood, with farm fresh produce and some staple grocery items as well! Come by and see them sometime. They’ll be glad to help you find anything you are looking for as well as give you some great tips for seasoning, marinating, and grilling your meals to perfection. Located at 604 Elm St. in Hampton, (803)943-4670. Visit their Facebook page for daily updates.

 

 

 

 

Read More

Let’s go fishing!

SC Lowcountry state parks offer excellent fishing opportunities!

It’s always a good time to go fishing in the South Carolina Lowcountry! We offer a true sportsman’s paradise! Our unique landscape provides many spots for anglers to prove their skills in both fresh and salt water. Our state parks are a great place to “catch the big one”, but don’t forget to pick up a valid South Carolina fishing license before dropping a line into the water.

Hunting Island State Park has five miles of beaches to fish, along with Johnson Creek, a salt-water lagoon, and an ocean inlet. Fish for trout, redfish, and flounder. Head over to the fishing pier at the southern tip of the park to try your luck. The pier extends 1,120 feet into the Fripp Inlet, where snapper, grouper and bigger varieties are found. Bait, equipment and other supplies can be purchased at the park store in the campground. The park also has a tackle loaner program. Rods and reels are available at the nature center for use on the pier.  The park has a boat ramp that has access to both Harbor River and Fripp Inlet. Bring the camper and stay for a while in the beachfront campground.
Hunting Island State Park
2555 Sea Island Pkwy
Beaufort, SC
843-838-2011

Fish along the surf at Edisto Beach State Park or head over to the salt marsh. Flounder, whiting, redfish, and other saltwater fish can be caught here. Want to bring the boat? A boat ramp and dock with access to Big Bay Creek can be found in the park. Edisto Beach State Park also has a beachfront campground.
Edisto Beach State Park
8377 State Cabin Road
Edisto Island, SC
843-869-2156

Colleton State Park connects to Givhans Ferry State Park to offer 23 miles of freshwater, blackwater fishing. The park is conveniently located off Interstate 95 at Exit 68. A boat ramp is just ¼ miles away, with easy access to the Edisto River, one of the longest free flowing blackwater rivers in the country. Fish by boat or along the shore for bream, redbreast and catfish. The park is also the headquarters for the Edisto River Canoe and Kayak Trail. This park participates in the tackle loaner program. Rods and reels are available for loan at the park office.  Colleton State Park also has a campground.
Colleton State Park
147 Wayside Lane
Walterboro, SC
843-538-8206

Lake Warren State Park is located in Hampton, SC. Lake Warren is a 200-acre lake that offers freshwater fishing and boating. Fish this freshwater lake for largemouth bass, brim, redbreast, crappie, and catfish. The lake has two different boat ramps for boats with 10 horsepower motors. Jon boats are also available for rent year-round. Boats come complete with trolling motor, life jackets and paddles. Rentals are available through the park ranger. The lake also has a fishing dock.
Lake Warren State Park
1079 Lake Warren Road
Hampton, SC
803-943-5051

Looking for more fishing opportunities? We have marinas, and multiple charter fishing services.  Have your own boat? We have 31 boat ramps in both fresh and salt water, fishing piers and artificial reefs. Fishing in South Carolina is popular year-round for fresh water, large mouth, red-breast, and catfish. The salt-water species vary from trout, redfish and flounder inshore to marlin, dolphin, king mackerel, snapper, grouper and much more offshore. Choose from a half dozen rivers, a beautiful little lake, or a great big ocean. Like shell fish? Catch your own shrimp and crabs, or dig clams and harvest oysters.

For more fishing opportunities in the SC Lowcountry visit southcarolinalowcountry.com/fishing

 

Read More

Hickory Valley Historic District

Walterboro’s Hickory Valley Historic District lies northwest of the National Historic District. The district once had four key properties and fifteen supporting properties. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1821 and 1929 and reflect the architectural characteristics of the period. The homes include a concentration of early homes dating from Walterboro’s heyday as a pineland resort village for lowcountry planters.

Walterboro was founded in 1784 by planters seeking a healthy climate away from the malarial swamps of the Lowcountry. Modest summer cottages soon clustered in a thriving summer resort. The area of Hickory Valley was bound by Webb, Verdier, Valley and Witsell Streets. The area became a town commons, where military drills were performed, political meetings were held and recreation was enjoyed.

  1. 334 Wichman Street is home to this one-story Victorian frame residence built in 1910. A veranda extends across the entire front. It is supported by turned posts with sawn brackets. A balustrade connects the posts. The hip roof has a central cross gable with an arched vent and fish-scale shingles. The entrance has a transom and sidelights.

2. The Jones-McDaniel House at 418 Wichman Street was originally built as a one-story structure in 1835 by Jenkins Jones. The McDaniel family purchased the home and altered its appearance drastically in 1935. A semicircular portico was added with four colossal Iconic columns and oversized Scamozzi capitals. One story verandas extend from both sides of the central portico.

3. 125 Magnolia Street is home to this two-story frame house with two tiers of verandas. It was built in 1905 with a superimposed portico. Two Iconic columns on brick bases support a centered pediment. The lower veranda wraps around the sides of the home. It is supported by paired wooden columns on brick bases. The upper veranda has single columns.

4. The Beach-Fogarty House is located at 102 Webb Street. This house was built in 1910. It is a one-half story residence sheathed in weatherboard. The hip roof is accented with a pediment over the portico. The central doorway is surrounded by sidelights and a fanlight.

5. 201 Webb Street is the home of the Edward B. Fishburne House. Built circa 1829, this gable roof frame residence is sheathed in weatherboard. A shed-roofed veranda extends across the façade. It is supported by four square pillars. The five-bay façade has a central doorway complete with elliptical fanlight and sidelights. This house was once one of four key properties of the historic district. It is the only one that is still standing.

6. This one-story frame house can be found at 202 Webb Street. The exterior is covered in weatherboard and has a jerkinhead roof. A central hooded chimney rises from the roof. The entrance is protected by a small, pedimented portico.

Built circa 1920, the one and a half story frame house can be found at 205 Valley Street. A gable roof extends over the front porch with a quadruple window in the gable end. The front parch is supported by six wooden pillars. The central entry is surrounded by a transom and sidelights.

Hickory Valley was designated a Historic District in 1980. It includes several of the earliest and most prominent homes of Walterboro. Major architectural styles from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries are represented. The seven homes presented are all that remains of the district.

To read more about the nationally recognized historic properties of Walterboro, read Tour of Walterboro’s Historic District and More Historic Walterboro.

Read More

More Historic Walterboro

Part 2 of the Nationally Recognized Historic District.

The Walterboro National Historic District is characterized by diversity. The buildings in the National Register of Historic Places inventory range from the early nineteenth century when Walterboro was a summer retreat for antebellum planters to Greek Revival homes and late nineteenth century Victorians. Twentieth century Colonial Revivals and bungalows have been beautifully preserved as well. Gothic Revival and Queen Anne churches can also be found in historic Walterboro.

While the first part of the Walterboro National Historic District Tour focused on Wichman and surrounding streets, the second part of the Historic Walterboro Walking Tour will focus on the homes of Hampton, Carn and surrounding streets.

41. The O.T. Canady house at 109 Carn Street was built before 1890. The one-story frame house has prominent front gable with an oversized louvered opening. The veranda has turned Victorian posts and a decorative frieze in the entablature. Brackets enhance the gable. Paired windows flank the doorway, which is complete with transom and sidelights.

42. The Paul Hamilton Fripp House is located at 111 South Walter Street. Built in 1848, this house is the oldest of three Greek Revival homes in the neighborhood with similar design. A distinctive Greek key design in the wide entablature is the main focus below the parapet roofline. The symmetrical five-bay façade contains a centered doorway that is surrounded with a transom and sidelights.  The veranda is supported by six square pillars with caps and turned balusters.

43. Walterboro City Hall can be found at 242 Hampton Street. This structure was built in the 1930s as a WPA project. It was later remodeled with the addition of a Palladian façade. The portico is supported with four Doric columns on high brick bases. The entablature has a denticulated cornice. Twin curving stairs are sheltered under the portico. The main entrance is centered and has a classic surround with pilasters, a pediment, and a large transom.

44. The Stokes-Smoak House sits at 248 Hampton Street. It is currently used as the City Hall Annex. Built in 1931, this two-story house was once the Camellia Inn. The bungalow style porch continues across the front and along the left side. It has square pillars on brick piers and a wide entablature. Exposed rafters are visible below the rooflines.

45. The Gahagan House is found at 422 Hampton Street. The rambling one-story home was built in 1905. The later addition of a bungalow porch with paneled, tapered posts on brick piers. A hip-roofed dormer has three windows. The porch wraps around both sides of the house. The façade is symmetrical with five bays. The central door has a transom and sidelights.

46. The Walterboro Water Tower can be seen from the corner of Memorial Avenue and Hampton Street. It raises 132 feet high and was made from 100,000 gallons of concrete. The tower was constructed in 1915 for city water storage. The first floor of the building was once used as a city jail. The tower can be seen across the downtown area.

47. The two- story house at 434 Hampton Street was built before 1883 and drastically altered in 1912. The pedimented porticos have rounded windows and paired, paneled square pillars with Ionic capitals. A balustrade surrounds the second level of the portico. A first level porch extends the five-bay façade. Both levels have central doorways complete with transom and sidelights.

48. The Godfrey House is at 445 Hampton Street. This substantial two-story frame house was built before 1905. It has a two-tiered veranda extending across the five-bay façade. Substantial tapered columns set on square brick piers support the lower porch roof while turned colonettes and a balustrade support and secure the second. A wide paneled frieze runs between the two levels. The entrance is framed with a narrow multilight transom and multilight sidelights.

49. The Stokes-Hiott House can be found at 458 Hampton Street. This asymmetrical two-story house was built between 1912 and 1920. The off-center portico has four giant Doric columns supporting the pediment. The main entrance has a louvered fanlight and sidelights. A porte cochere with a sunroom above sits to the right of the house and a first-floor addition is on the left.

50. The Padgett House is located at 461 Hampton Street. It was built in 1905. The one-story frame cottage has a gable roof and exterior end chimneys. A veranda with bracketed turned colonettes and a balustrade runs the length of the façade. The central doorway is surrounded with a transom and sidelights. Paired windows sit on either side of the door. Boxed cornices extend along the eaves of the house and veranda. They are also repeated on the side gables.

51. The Fripp-Hampton House can be found at 474 Hampton Street. This two-story home was built before 1905. The façade has five bays, in the center of which is a large portico supported with giant Ionic columns. The entrance is surrounded by a transom and sidelights and topped with a Georgian broken pediment. A central balcony was added to the second story after 1931.

52. The Jones House can be found at 475 Hampton Street. Built before 1905, the one-story gable roofed cottage has a central pavilion with gingerbread trim. The front porch extends the full length of the house and wraps around the central pavilion. Victorian turned posts and gingerbread brackets complete the porch. The central entrance, as well as the flanking doors have a transom and sidelights.

53. Hampton Street Elementary School is located at 494 Hampton Street. This building was constructed in the 1930s in the Art Moderne style. The school scenes from Forrest Gump, starring Tom Hanks were filmed here. It is now used as the Colleton Civic Center. Also, this is the location of the graduation scenes in the movie Radio, starring Cuba Gooding, Jr.

54. The Mims-Smith-Spell House at 487 Hampton Street was built before 1905. Originally, the one story, gable roof cottage was a duplicate of 475 Hampton Street. A veranda extends across the front of the house. It is topped with a central pavilion and gable. The veranda has been remodeled in the bungalow style. Square posts on high brick piers support the porch roof. A small gabled addition on the right has a gabled porch as well. Three doors are present on the front of the house. Each is surrounded by a transom and sidelights.

55. The Howell-Fishburne House can be found at 500 Hampton Street. Built around 1920, this two and a half story Colonial Revival house is three bays wide. The central doorway is surrounded by an elliptical tripartite fanlight and sidelights. The front portico, side portico and porte cochere are supported by paired Doric columns. Three large dormers sit in the slope of the roof.

56. The A.V. Glover House is located at 517 Hampton Street. This one-story 1874 frame cottage was home to the Colleton County historian, Miss Beulah Glover. It has a gable roof and shed roofed porch with tapered square posts. The entrance is centered in a three-bay façade. It has a transom and sidelights.

57. The Pearcy House is located at 523 Hampton Street. Built around 1920, this one and a half-story house has a jerkinhead roof and a shed-roofed dormer with three windows on the front slope. Doric columns support the porch, and an iron railing runs along the roof in front. The centered entrance has one sidelight to the right of the door. Double windows flank the door.

58. The Brown-Mitchell-Langley House is at 524 Hampton Street. Built between 1920 and 1930, this two-story frame house has a hipped roof and tripartite dormer. An L-shaped porch dominates the left side of the first level. The shed roof porch is supported by square pillars on brick piers. The railings have turned balusters. The doorway is surrounded by a thin transom and sidelights. A diamond-shaped window is placed to the left of the door.

59. The Terry-Dunwoody-Haws House is at 529 Hampton Street. This home was built prior to 1845. This two-story frame house became known as the “House of Refuge” following the tornado of 1879. Its hipped roof has large centrally located chimneys and is accentuated with a plain box cornice. The flat-roofed one-story front porch has groups of three Victorian turned posts in the outside corners. The main entrance has a transom and sidelights.

60. The Farmer House is located beside the library at 528 Hampton Street. The one-story frame cottage was built on Wichman Street around 1830 and moved to its current location in 1905. White, beaded weatherboard siding covers the exterior. Small wings flank the front porch. Paired windows are placed in the central portion. Porch posts with decorative cross-bracing are a later addition.

61. The bungalow at 601 Hampton Street was built around 1920. The one-story frame house has a gable roof. Double windows are to the right of the plain door and tripartite windows are to the left. The porch is supported with tapered square posts that extend to the left to create a porte cochere.

62.  The bungalow at 607 Hampton Street was built in 1931. It is considered the best example of a bungalow type house in Walterboro. The one-story frame house has a pressed tin gable roof and a prominent gabled front porch. It has bracketed, overhanging eaves and square paneled pillars, which are grouped in threes in the corners. The porch gable is covered in wooden shingles and has a central louvered vent. The entrance is surrounded by a tripartite transom and sidelights.

63. The Bellinger-Ackerman House is located at 613 Hampton Street. Built around 1913 this two-story hip roofed frame house has a gabled, two-story pavilion on the right side, with triple windows on each level. A fanlight graces the gable. The front porch has a gabled extension and a porte cochere to the left. The porch is supported by square posts on piers. Cornices with robust brackets run the eaves of the house, porch, and eaves.

64. The Morrall-Marrin-Simmons House is located at 618 Hampton Street. The one-story brick house has a bungalow porch with tapered, square posts on brick piers. The front gabled extension has a central fireplace.

65 .617 Hampton Street was built in 1910. This one-story cottage has a gable roof and veranda across the front. An attached gazebo is on the right. It has imbricated shingle sides and an octagonal roof. The entrance is surrounded by transom and sidelights.

66. The Glover-Sprott-Marvin house is located at 621 Hampton Street. This two -story frame house was built between 1909-1913. A gable is centered on the front slope of the roof with an arched louvered opening. The symmetrical façade has double windows to either side of the door and above. The entrance is topped with a pediment and single window. The entrance is surrounded by transom and sidelights.

67. The Sylvester Guess House is at 628 Hampton Street. This two-story house was built in the early 19th Century. The façade is five bays wide with a central entrance. The entrance is protected under a portico on square posts. A transom tops the door.

68. The Heirs-Ackerman-Skardon House can be found at 625 Hampton Street. Built between 1910 and 1918, this two-story frame house has a one-story bungalow style front porch with tapered square paneled pillars on brick piers grouped in pairs. The symmetrical façade has a central entrance with sidelights and entablature. Tripartite windows flank the entrance.  The hipped roof has a dormer centered on the front slope.

69. The bungalow at 629 Hampton Street was built in 1931. The thin gable roof has a low cross gable in front with overhanging bracketed eaves. The veranda is covered by the main roof. Tapered pillars on brick piers support the roof. The entrance is off centered between tripartite windows; the right being a bay window.

70. The two-story home at 701 Hampton Street was built in 1900. Four massive square pillars support the two-story portico. Both levels have central doorways, surrounded by transom and sig-delights. Tripartite windows flank the first level entrance with single windows above. A second-level porch with balustrade is supported between the two central columns.

71. The Price House is located at 707 Hampton Street. This one-story frame cottage was built in 1900. It has a high hipped roof and veranda with slim columns. The symmetrical façade is centered with double doors and a transom. Double windows flank the entrance.

72. The two-story home at 709 Hampton Street was built in 1880. An L-shaped porch extends along the front and left sides of the house. It is topped with a pyramidal tin roof. The porch has squared columns on each level and a balustrade on the second.

73. The two-story frame residence at 715 Hampton Street was built in 1920. The façade is topped with a pedimented front-end gable. Four fluted columns support the first level veranda. One story wings extend on both sides.

74. 719 Carn Street is home to this turn of the century one-story cottage known as the Ulmer House. A center gable with a boxed cornice sits above a porch that extends across the façade. The central entrance is complete with transom and sidelights. Double windows flank the doorway. Squared posts on brick piers were a later addition.

75. 703 Carn Street is home to this 1931 cottage. It has a low-pitched gable roof. A front gable with an elliptical arch protects the entryway. Paired square posts and bracketed eaves support the porch. The door is flanked by sidelights and double windows.

76. The bungalow at 701 Carn Street was built sometime around 1930. The front gable has overhanging, bracketed eaves. The front veranda extends across the façade. The entrance is off-center, between paired windows.

77. 613 Carn street is home to this 1931 cottage. The front gable has an overhang with bracketed eaves and extends to shelter a front porch with squared posts on brick piers.

78. The one-story bungaloid dwelling at 609 Carn Street was built around 1930. It has a gabled roof and two chimneys. The off-centered porch has tapered square posts on brick piers.

79. The Loper House can be found at 605 Carn Street. This one-story cottage was built around 1915. The symmetrical façade has five bays. A gable is centered over the entrance. Victorian turned posts and pierced brackets support the veranda. A balustrade surrounds the veranda. The doorway is complete with transom and sidelights.

80. The home at 429 Carn Street was built between 1912 and 1920. This one-story frame house has an L-shaped porch under the left corner of the hipped roof. The central entrance is surrounded by transom and sidelights. A bungalow style dormer is centered on the front slope of the roof.

81. This one-story frame cottage can be found at 418 Carn Street. It was built between 1912 and 1920. A wide front gable dominated the front roofline. The symmetrical façade has five bays. The central entrance has a transom and sidelights. Paired square posts support the porch roof which is topped with a Chinese Chippendale balustrade. Double windows flank the doorway, and a louvered arch is centered in the front gable.

82. The Sanders-Slotchiver-Grace House is located at 414 Carn Street. This two-story frame bungalow was built between 1916 and 1920. The roof is dominated by a dormer with tripartite windows. The first level porch is supported by tapered squared pillars on brick piers.

83. The Butler House at 229 South Memorial Street was built in 1912. This Victorian cottage is one story, with a gabled roof. A two-bay extension protrudes from the left side. A shed roof front porch is supported by turned and bracketed posts. Turned balusters complete the porch. The doorway is completed with transom and sidelights. The property also contains an old servant’s cottage in the rear.

84-85. The Wichman-Strobel House is located at 238 South Memorial Street. Its twin, the Wichman-Padgett House is just next door at 226 South Memorial Street. They are five bays wide with a parapet roofline. A flat-roofed piazza extends across the front façade. Greek key designs dominate the wide entablatures present across the roofline and piazza. Squared posts and turned balusters support and secure the piazza.

86. The McMillan House at 309 South Memorial Street, was built before 1905. The gabled extension on the right has a bay window and pediment. The pediment is decorated with a pendant with scalloped braces. A porch extends along the right side of the extension and across the front of the house. The porch has Victorian turned posts with pierced brackets and a balustrade. The front door and French windows are topped with transoms. A bracketed cornice continues around the house.

87. 403 South Memorial Street is home to the Durant-Padgett House. Built in 1904, this Victorian cottage has an asymmetrical shape. A gabled, semi-octagonal extension is seen to the left of the front entrance and a gabled extension is on the right side. A large front porch travels the length of the façade and wraps around both sides. Victorian turned posts with pierced brackets and a balustrade complete the porch. The entrance has a multilight transom and sidelights.

88. 203 Black Street is home to this one-story bungalow. Built between 1905 and 1912, this house has five bays. A veranda stretches across the front façade. The main doorway has a transom and sidelights. A right extension and dormer were added after 1931. Tapered square pillars on brick piers were also added.

89. Built around 1891, this one-story frame house sits at 221 Black Street. The symmetrical façade has five bays with a central gable on the slope of the roof. A shed-roofed veranda wraps around the front and sides of the house. Victorian turned posts, pierced brackets support the veranda, and a band of pierced decoration sits below the cornice and gables. A bracketed cornice continues around the house.

90. The Morrall-Cummings-Loper-Goodwin House can be found at 307 Black Street. This single-story frame cottage was built sometime between 1891 and 1905. The L-shaped design has a gabled extension on the right with a bay window. Another gable is centered in the slope of the roof over the doorway. The veranda extends across the front and along the left side of the house. Victorian posts with pierced brackets support the veranda. A band of pierced work can be found below the cornice. The railing has turned balusters. Bracketed cornice continues around the house and gables. Pierced woodwork details can be found in the upper angle of the gables. The doorway is flanked by multi-light sidelights.

For more information about historic Walterboro and other Lowcountry attractions visit southcarolinalowcountry.com.

Read More

Tour Walterboro’s Historic District

Stroll the nationally recognized streets of Downtown Walterboro

The Historic District of Walterboro has a significant collection of properties located in the center of town. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1800 and 1945, representing a range of architectural styles representing the historical development of the town. Walterboro got its start as a pineland village which was settled by planters in search of a healthy summer retreat away from mosquito-borne illnesses. By 1832 the town had a summer population of 900 and a winter population of half that number. At the time the summer retreat had a courthouse, churches, a library, market house and academies for both boys and girls. The streets were laid out in 1839. Walterboro became the county seat of government in 1817 and continued to grow in political and social prestige until the Civil War. During Reconstruction, the town began to grow again as a meeting place for deposed planters. By 1880 Walterboro had thirteen stores and eight churches. By the mid-1890s Walterboro had the largest railway station between Charleston and Savannah. A great deal of downtown Walterboro was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. These homes have been lovingly restored and maintained. A walk along the oak lines streets to view these homes is a great activity to do while in the Lowcountry.

  1. The Little Library (801 Wichman Street) was built when the Library Society was founded, in 1820. The building’s three-bay façade is covered in weatherboard and adorned with a fan light over the doorway. The Federal style building sits in a park located in front of the Bedon-Lucas House.

2. St. Jude’s Episcopal Church was founded in 1855 and rebuilt after the great cyclone of 1879. Sitting at 400 Fishburne Street, the Carpenter Gothic style church has board and batten exterior walls and simulated buttresses. Five lancet windows grace each side of the church and a steeple rises above. Just next door at 404 Fishburne Street sits the rectory for St. Jude’s Episcopal Church. This gable-roofed cottage was built around 1905. The five-bay façade has a central entrance with a multi light transom and sidelights. A one-story brick and concrete block building and outbuilding sit behind the church. They were both added in 1940.

3. The Bedon Lucas House (205 Church Street) was built in the early 1800s. This Federal style raised cottage is one of the few remaining high houses in Walterboro. These houses were built on higher ground and elevated to attempt to avoid the damp soil and mosquito-borne illnesses associated with summers in the Lowcountry. The house’s name comes from the first two occupants of the house: Mr. Bedon commissioned the building and Mr. Lucas bought it in 1840. The second owner also donated a portion of his front yard to create a park. Walterboro’s Little Library was moved here in 1843. The house was occupied by the Lucas family until the mid-1950s. It fell into disrepair and was acquired by the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society. The house was restored and serves as their headquarters. The house is available for tours. 843-549-9633. Read our Blog on the Bedon-Lucas House.

4. The Victorian cottage at 305 Church Street was built before 1905. The asymmetrical plan has a complicated roofline and an L-shaped extension on the left side. The slender porch columns of the porch have pierced brackets and turned balusters. Two doorways are surrounded by sidelights and are topped with transoms.

5. Built in 1931, the cottage at 406 Church Street has a gabled roof that extends to cover a large front porch with square pillars on brick piers. The façade is off-center between paired windows.

6. The Dr. James Klein House is located at 104 Valley Street. Built in 1844, the two-story house has a portico that is supported by four impressive Tuscan columns. The five-bay façade is centered with a double door surrounded by a transom and sidelights. A balcony complete with balustrade sits atop the entry.

7. 204 Valley Street is home to this 1920s bungalow. Built on a high brick basement, it has a gable roof which extends across the large front porch. Tapered square pillars on brick piers support the porch roof. The front entrance has side lights and is centered in the five-bay façade.

8. Sitting atop the hill at 208 Valley Street is this large one-story house. Built in 1920, the house sits on a high basement and has a large front porch that sits under the gable roof. The porch has square pillars on brick piers and bracketed, overhanging eaves.

9. The cottage at 212 Valley Street was built in 1941. The entrance is in a small front pavilion between paired windows.

10. The Glover-McLeod House can be found at 109 Savage Street. This house was built prior to 1839. It features a high basement and flanking chimneys. Two tiers of verandas adorn the façade. The centered doorway has a transom and sidelights. The second story porch can be accessed through each of the upper-level front rooms. The house sits back off the road, surrounded by live oak trees. The property also includes an antebellum servant’s house and outbuildings.

Image from the National Register.

11. The Perry-Smoak House is found at 1011 Savage Road. This one-story antebellum cottage has a five-bay façade and sits on a high basement. The double entrance is centered under the shed roof of the front parch. Two symmetrical chimneys rise from the roof ridge.

12. The cottages of Savage Street can be viewed as you proceed on the route. The little cottage at 110 Savage Street has a gabled porch in the center of its façade with a louvered fan in the gable. The porch is supported with two tapered square pillars. The single-story frame house at 118 Savage Street has a gable roof and a small porch with paired columns on brick bases. The one-story frame house at 124 Savage Street has a hip roof porch and four fluted square posts. The entrance is centered and has an elliptical fanlight and sidelights.

13. The Palmer-Edwards House is at 1303 Wichman Street. This antebellum home is a one-story cottage with a gabled tin roof. The shed roof veranda is supported by six square posts and turned balusters. The main entrance is centered in a three-bay façade. Double doors are surrounded by a multi light transom and sidelights. The property also includes and outbuilding.

14. The Fraser House is located at 1217 Wichman Street. Built in 1856, the second story was a later addition. The porch has paired columns on piers, turned balusters and a wide entablature. The impressive entry has double doors, a transom, and sidelights.

15. The side of the lovely Padgett House adorns the corner of Lemacks and 1126 Wichman Street. It was built in 1900 for James Padgett, a member of the South Carolina Senate. The asymmetrical design is two and a half stories tall. Porches can be found on the front and side. A semi-circular porch bay dominates the left side of the façade and is balanced by two tiers of porches with paired columns on the right.

16. 401 N. Lemacks Street is a one-story wooden house. A bungalow style veranda extends across the front.

17. 227 Chaplin Street was built in the early 1900s. The one-story frame house is rectangular with a symmetrical façade. The central entrance is framed with a transom and sidelights. The porch was added in the 1930s. It was given a new jerkinhead roof in the 1960s.

18. The Church of the Atonement sits next door at 207 Chaplin Street. This small Victorian church was built in 1886. The frame construction has a high-pitched gable roof and square tower. The church and lower portion of the tower are covered in narrow weatherboards. The upper portion of the tower is faced with wooden shingles. The steeple rises above an open framework of braced timbers. The arched entrance is in the base of the tower, shaded by a small gabled hood.

19. 203 Chaplin Street has a tiny one-story frame dwelling with a gabled tin roof. The bungalow-style front porch was believed to have been added in the 1920s.  

20. 111 Chaplin Street and the cottages of Tracy Street were built in the 1930s. These bungalows have a gabled rooves and front porches with tapered squared pillars on brick piers.

21. The tiny Gresham House is located at 200 Fishburne Street. Built in 1931, this little cottage has a low-pitched gable roof with the gable facing the street which has overhanging eaves and brackets. The entrance is under a small porch that is supported with square posts.

22. The Spell House can be found at 214 Fishburne Street. Built between 1912 and 1920, this one and a half-story frame house has a high gable with a central quadripartite window. The large porch is supported with paneled pillars on brick piers. Oversized sidelights and a transom surround the door.

23. The Warren House sits next door at 114 Bellinger Street. The one and a half story frame house was built in 1920. It is rectangular with a gable roof and a half story extended over the front porch. The front gable has three closely spaced windows and bracketed overhanging eaves. Four tapered, square posts support the second story above the porch. Double windows flank the front entrance that is surrounded by transom and sidelights.

24. The Fraser House is located at 112 Bellinger Street. This one-story bungalow was built in 1931. The asymmetrical plan has a front extension with paired windows on the right side. A porch complete with tripartite window and door with sidelights sits on the left side. A shed roof dormer has four windows.

25. . The McTeer House can be found at 108 Bellinger Street. This one-story bungalow was built in 1931. It has a gable roof which extends to shelter the porch. Substantial brick piers support the corners. The gable has bracketed overhanging eaves. The entrance has sidelights, and the front windows are paired.

26. Built before 1905, the First Baptist was built in the Queen Anne style. It became St. John’s Independent Methodist Church and is now the Fishers of Men T.M.D. Church. The frame building was built in a cruciform shape with oversized gable ends. The gables are covered in wooden shingles and are adorned with round louvered vents. The front entrance is in a small gabled porch with engaged square pillars. The windows are decorated with colored glass. 129 Neyle Street.

27. This large Victorian cottage at 123 Neyle Street was built around 1905. It boasts a high-pitched gable roof with a matching gable over the front porch. Two large, corbelled chimneys rise from the interior. The house has small flanking wings. The wraparound veranda is topped with a shed roof and supported by turned colonettes and balusters. The centrally placed entrance has a multi-light transom and sidelights.  

28. The Miller-Fraser House is located at 734 Wichman Street. Built around 1885, the L-shaped house has a gabled front wing with paired windows and a denticulated cornice. A portion of the porch was enclosed.

29. St. Peter’s AME Church is located on Fishburne Street. This Gothic Revival church was built around 1870. It is rectangular, with a gable-roofed body and a square tower rising above the gabled front extension. The tower has four sections; the lower section contains the main entrance with double doors and a transom. The third level of the tower contains a multi-light window. The fourth level has traceried, pointed arched openings that are balustraded on the bottom. The steeple rises above the fourth level.  The exterior is covered in weatherboard. The windows are multi-light with traceried, pointed, arch transoms. 302 Fishburne Street.

30. The cottage at 915 Wichman Street was built in 1920. The one and a half story frame house has an asymmetrical gable roof. The porch is covered by an oversized shed roof and dormer. The recessed veranda has tapered square pillars.

31. The house at 919 Wichman Street was also built in 1920. The two-story house has a flat roofed portico with four Ionic columns on brick bases. A veranda with paired colonettes on brick bases graces the first level and is topped with a balustrade on the second, which is recessed behind the portico. A porte cochere sits to the left which has been topped with a later addition.

32. The Fraser House sits at 918 Wichman Street. Built in 1858, the house is a one and a half-story frame cottage on a high basement. The tin roof is punctuated with twin dormers on the front slope. Six square posts support the shed roof porch. The entrance is centrally located in the five-bay façade. The door is surrounded by a transom and sidelights.

33. 1000 Wichman is home to this 19th Century bungalow. The square house has a hipped roof with two interior chimneys. The hipped roof porch has square posts on brick piers. The centered entrance has a multilight transom and partially paneled sidelights. The double doors have arched panels.

34. An L-shaped Victorian sits at 1004 Wichman Street. The house has a gabled front wing and shed roofed veranda.  A 20th Century addition extends from the right side.

35. This 1906 beauty can be found at 1003 Wichman Street. The two-story frame house has a gable roof and two tiers of veranda. Squared posts support the porches, and a balustrade secures the second story porch. The centered entrance has multipaned sidelights.

36. The Bellinger House is located at 1009 Wichman Street. It was built in the early 1800s. The two-story frame house has a gabled tin roof. The entrance is centered between three bays. The door is framed with a transom and sidelights.  The first-floor windows are tripartite in design. The original design included two tiers of veranda.  The shed roofed porch and squared pillars are from a 1931 renovation

37. Built in 1926, the Hicks-Graham-Smith House sits at 1111 Wichman Street. This bungalow style house has a gable roof. The porch has been converted into a sunroom.

38. 1116 Wichman Street is home to a one-story frame cottage covered in shiplap siding. A porte cochere sits on the left and is balanced by a porch on the right. Tapered square posts on brick piers support the porch roof.

39. The Bellinger-Lewis-Moorer-Black House is located at 1123 Wichman Street. This t-shaped frame house was built in the early 20th Century. It has a complex roofline and a one and a half story central portion and two-story wings. The front gable has a tripartite window. The porch is supported by paneled square posts on piers.

40. Part 1 of the tour ends at the front of the lovely Padgett House. We viewed the side of this property in number 15.

After you finish with this first part of the tour, don’t forget to look for Part 2 of the Walterboro National Historic District Walking Tour. (Coming Soon!)

Read More

We Are Dog-Friendly

Bring Fido along for your next dog-friendly adventure to the South Carolina Lowcountry!

dog-friendly south carolina
Photo by Amy Lane.

Dogs are considered family members and are treated as such in the Lowcountry.  Accommodations, restaurants, tours, beaches, and charters can be found that welcome the addition of dogs to the party.  Here’s a selection of activities in the South Carolina Lowcountry that are dog-friendly.

dog-friendly beach south carolina
Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Parks and Outdoor Areas that are dog-friendly:

Hunting Island State Park allows dogs on a leash in the park. They are not allowed in cabin areas or inside the lighthouse complex. They are also not allowed on the northern tip of the island to protest critical shorebird habitat. Pets are allowed in most other outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. Take advantage of the many walking trails located throughout the park.

dog-friendly south carolina beaches
Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Lake Warren State Park allows dogs inmost outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. The trails at the park make excellent walking paths for dogs.

Edisto Beach State Park allows dogs in most outdoor areas including the trails provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. Pets are not allowed in the cabins or the cabin areas.

Colleton State Park allows dogs in most outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet. Pets are not allowed in or around lodging facilities.

dog-friendly parks south carolina
Image provided by Lanie Woods.

Dogs are permitted on Hilton Head beaches before 10 am and after 5 pm Memorial Day through Labor Day. Dogs must be on a leash or under positive voice control at all other times.

Fikki enjoys the Lowcountry outdoors. Photo by Peach Morrison.

Hilton Head Island’s Chaplin Community Park off-leash dog park is located off William Hilton Parkway between Burkes Beach Road and Singleton Beach Road. This is a great place to bring the dogs to play with others.

Hilton Head Sea Pines Forest Preserve and Audubon Newhall Preserve allow dogs on a leash.

Photo by Amy Lane.

Hilton Head Fishing charters and river cruises that allow dogs include Captain Mark’s Dolphin Cruise, Vagabond Cruise, Calibogue Cruises, Runaway Fishing Charters, and Over Yonder Charters. For websites and more information visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/charters/.

Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Hardeeville’s Sgt Jasper Park has many walking trails that are perfect for short hikes with your dog. Ridgeland’s Blue Heron Nature Trail is also a good place for dog walking. Both parks are conveniently located just off I-95.

Hardeeville Dog Park image by James Buquet.

Hardeeville also has an off-leash dog park located in the Richard Gray Sports Complex behind City Hall, 205 Main Street. The park is divided into areas for small and large dogs. There’s also a designated area for senior dogs as well. The park has shaded benches and doggie water fountains. The park is conveniently located just off I-95, making it a great place to let the pups run off energy.

ACE Basin National Wildlife Management Area allows dogs on a leash. Roam the grounds, hike the trails and picnic on the lawn of the Grove Plantation House.

Fripp Island beaches, most accommodations and activities are dog friendly.

Pippa enjoys a windy day at the Sands Beach. Photo by Julieann.

Port Royal’s Sands Boardwalk and Beach and the Cypress Wetlands Trail are fun places to walk in the late afternoon. The sunset from the Sands Boardwalk is outstanding.

dog-friendly trails south carolina
Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Yemassee’s Frampton Plantation Visitors Center enjoys visiting with dogs. They are allowed inside and out! Plan a picnic on the grounds and take the dog for a walk through the woods. Come inside and visit with the friendly staff that love visits from leashed dogs. The center is located on I-95 at Exit 33.

Edisto’s Botany Bay Ecotours also allows dogs.

Several restaurants with outdoor seating allow dogs. Here is a sample of restaurants by city. For restaurant websites visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/restaurants/.

Beaufort
Bricks on Boundary
Common Ground Coffeehouse and Market Café
Hemingways Bistro
Luther’s Rare & Well Done
Panini’s on the Waterfront
Plums
After a downtown meal, be sure to go for a walk at the Henry C Chambers Waterfront Park.

St Helena Island
Johnson Creek Tavern
Marsh Tacky Market Café
After a St. Helena meal, walk through the Chapel of Ease and Ft. Fremont.

HHI
Skull Creek Boathouse
Captain Woody’s
Old Oyster Factory
Crazy Crab
Up the Creek Pub & Grill
Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks
Fishcamp on Broad Creek
Go for a walk through Audubon Newhall Preserve or Sea Pines Forest Preserve.

Bluffton
The Cottage
Old Town Dispensary
Katie O’Donalds
Okatie Ale House
Fat Patties
Guiseppi’s Pizza
Captain Buddy’s Charters
Go for a walk through the many parks in the Old Town area of Bluffton, or Victoria Bluff Heritage Preserve.

Walterboro
Fat Jacks
Sonic Drive-in
After dinner, stroll through the Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary.

Edisto Island
Seacow Eatery
Flowers Seafood
Pressley’s at the Marina
La Retta’s Pizzeria
McConkey’s Jungle Shack
After dinner, walk through Bay Creek Park or Edisto Beach State Park.

Ridgeland
Alchile Mexican Grill
Eats & Sweets Bakery
Fiddlers Seafood
PJ’s Coffee House
Go for a walk through Blue Heron Nature Center’s trail after dinner.

Doggie life jackets are a good idea if you plan to add boating to your agenda. Photo by Charlotte Pinckney.

Dog friendly accommodations are easy to find in the Lowcountry. Many rental homes, hotels and bed & breakfast locations are happy to accept your furry friends.

The historic Anchorage 1770 is dog friendly.

Certain rooms at the Anchorage 1770 are also dog friendly. Just let the staff know you plan to bring your furry friend, and you will be booked accordingly. The Beaufort Inn also allows dogs.

While visiting Lowcountry parks and wildlife management areas, dog owners are required to remove and properly dispose of the animal’s excrement. Please keep in mind, it is illegal to allow pets to chase or harass wildlife.

When going on outings with your dog be sure to bring food, trail treats, water and water bowl, plastic bags, leash, and collar. Make sure your current contact information is on your dog’s collar. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Read More

We’re Accessible

Limited mobility is not a problem in the SC Lowcountry.

mobility impaired destination
Sgt. Jasper Park photo by SC Lowcountry Tourism Commission.

The South Carolina Lowcountry is the perfect destination for people with limited mobility. The consistency of our flat ground makes reaching many attractions easily attainable. Come tour the natural beauty of our unspoiled landscape. Bask in the sunshine at one of our beaches, view the carefully preserved architecture and experience a fishing expedition. There’s something here for everyone!

Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Beaufort

The sidewalks and streets of downtown Beaufort make touring the city quite easy. Take a walking tour of Beaufort’s Historic Churches, or tour along Bay Street’s Waterfront Homes. Venture across Boundary Street to view the Homes of the Point . The Historic Churches of Beaufort  can be viewed, either driving or walking.

Penn Center
Penn Center image by Carmen Pinckney.

Looking for an indoor adventure? Visit the Beaufort Arsenal Museum , or the Penn Center.

Sands Boardwalk image by Miles Sanders.

For beautiful sunsets that are unmatched in beauty, head over to Port Royal’s Sands Boardwalk. Make sure to stop by the Cypress Wetlands Rookery on the way. Roll through the paved trail loop and look for egrets, herons, eagles and migratory birds.

Image by Friends of Crystal Lake.

Interested in fishing while in Beaufort? Head over to the Crystal Lake Park. The 25-acre park has a boardwalk that surrounds the lake and has docks that are perfect for catch and release fishing.

Hwy 21 Drive-in image by Dan Reger.

Looking for nighttime fun? Beaufort is one of the few cities where you can step back in time and go to a drive-in movie. The Highway 21 Drive-in has been updated with a digital format and concession stand snacks can be ordered online. They have two screens which show double features Thursday – Sunday nights. Grab your blankets and pillows and have fun the old-fashioned way!

This image, taken from the top of the lighthouse, shows wheelchair friendly sidewalks that can be used to tour the lighthouse grounds. Photo by Bobby Weiner.

Like to go camping on the beach? The Hunting Island State Park Campground has an all-terrain wheelchair and Handicapped-equipped restrooms and mobi-mats that allow for smooth access to the beach. There’s also another wheelchair located near the lighthouse. Call 843-838-2011 for more information. Visit the nature center and the marsh boardwalk. Both are accessible by wheelchair. Tour the grounds of the lighthouse and see the footprint of the former facilities.

Spanish Moss Trail image by Carmen Pinckney.

Beaufort’s Spanish Moss Trail is a 12-ft wide trail that follows the path to Parris Island that was used by the railroad to bring recruits to the marine training facility. No longer in use, the rails were removed, and a trail was constructed to lead visitors and locals along a path that winds through wooded areas and across the waterways of Beaufort County. Fishing can be done from several bridges along the way.

Bluffton

The Garvin-Garvey House and adjacent Oyster Factory Park have sidewalks for easy wheelchair access. Photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Old Town Bluffton is located along the shores of the May River. Stroll along the paths of the Oyster Factory Park or Wright Family Park. Oyster shell-paved sidewalks lead right to the door of the Garvin-Garvey House for a tour of Bluffton’s restored freedmen cottage. If Spending a Day in Old Town Bluffton be sure to visit the Church of the Cross, and stroll through the grounds of the Heyward House Museum.

The Bluffton Shell Art Trail leads throughout Old Town Bluffton. Image by Carmen Pinckney.

The Bluffton Shell Art Trail is another fun outdoor activity that is accessible. Download the map and set out to discover all 21 shells that are placed throughout the historic district.

Hilton Head

Image from Coastal Discovery Museum website.

Hilton Head is home to the Coastal Discovery Museum. This facility also has nature trails and a butterfly pavilion. The museum also conducts tours on site and around the island.

If getting out on the water is on the agenda, spend an afternoon Sailing the Coastal Waters. Tours range from dolphin searching to dinner cruises.

Hilton Head Beaches are handicapped accessible. Image from HiltonHead.com.

The town of Hilton Head offers matting for regular wheelchairs near beach accesses at Alder Lane, Coligny Beach Park, Driessen Beach Park, Fish Haul Beach Park, Folly Field Beach Park, and Islanders Beach Park. The town does not offer modified wheelchairs. Call 843-341-4600 for more information. 

Daufuskie Island is best seen by golf cart. Image from SC Living Magazine.

Daufuskie Island is an adventure that is not to be missed. The island is situated between Savannah and Hilton Head. It is only accessible by boat. Ferry services are available. Rent a golf cart and explore the Robert Kennedy Trail   and learn the History of this Gullah Paradise where Pat Conroy used to teach in a two-room schoolhouse. Explore the island to your heart’s content with so much to see. Experience the secluded beaches, Daufuskie Island Rum Company, Bloody Point Lighthouse, Historic Gullah Homes, Mary Field School, The Iron Fish Studio, historic churches, Silver Dew Winery, and so much more.

Hampton

Lake Warren fishing pier is the perfect place to park a wheelchair and throw out a fishing line. Image by SC Lowcountry Tourism Commission.

Hampton County is home to the Lake Warren State Park. Enjoy fishing in the lake for largemouth bass, brim, redbreast, and other freshwater fish. There are docks to fish from shore or you can rent a boat and troll the 200-acre lake.

Hardeeville

Look for alligators while driving through the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge.
Image by David Moran.

Hardeeville is home to the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. This vast natural wonder has a driving tour through former rice fields that are teaming with an abundance of waterfowl. Look for alligators and migratory birds as you make the slow drive through the refuge.

Sgt. Jasper Park image by Carmen Pinckney.

Sgt. Jasper Park is another great place to view nature in Hardeeville. Several of the trails are designed for people with mobility impairment.  You can also fish at the park.

Ridgeland

Blue Heron Park image from Facebook.

Ridgeland’s Blue Heron Nature Trail winds around a pond and its surrounding wetlands. It’s conveniently located just off the interstate. It’s a great place to get out of the car and take in fresh air and relaxation.

Just up the street you’ll find the Morris Center for Lowcountry Heritage.   This museum has fun travelling exhibits and permanent displays.

Frampton Plantation House, c. 1868 – Lowcountry & Resort Islands Visitors Center and Museum has a ramp for easy access into the house. Photo by SC Lowcountry Tourism Commission.

Another Jasper County gem that’s located on I-95 is the Frampton Plantation House Visitors Center and Museum. It has sidewalks, a picnic area and ramp for guests with disabilities. Come inside and see the 153 year-old house that was saved from demolition by the Lowcountry Tourism Commission.

Walterboro

Photo from Walterboro Wildlife Center Facebook.

The newly opened Walterboro Wildlife Center features native wildlife of the state’s largest city park, the Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary. Come to the center to view the interpretive exhibit hall showcasing plant and animal life. Click HERE to see the newest addition to the collection. After a visit to the center, drive over to tour the sanctuary and experience nature firsthand.

Donnelley Wildlife Management Area photo by Carmen Pinckney.

Bear Island Wildlife Management Area and Donnelley Wildlife Management Area are other great places for bird watching. Both are easily driven, and nature can be seen up close and personal from the seats of your car. Look for Wood Storks, Roseate Spoonbills, and other native species.

Edisto Island

A drive down this avenue of oaks takes you to Botany Bay. Image by Carmen Pinckney.

Edisto Island is steeped in history and natural beauty. Botany Bay Wildlife Management Area is a beautiful spot to tour from your car. The entrance to the former plantation property is lined with an iconic alley of live oaks dripping in Spanish moss. Upon check-in, guests receive a driving tour map that includes information on the history of the property.   

Henry Hutchinson House image by Grayce Gonzalez.

The Henry Hutchinson House is another Edisto Island treasure. The house was built by a freedman during Reconstruction. It is the oldest house of its kind on the island. It has recently been restored and the exterior is on display to celebrate this important time in American history.

Photo from the Town of Edisto Beach Facebook.

Edisto Beach has rolled out the carpet for beach goers with disabilities – literally! New mats have been installed for visitors with mobility impairment. Beach wheelchairs are also available at the fire station. Simply call 843-869-2505, ext. 217 to make a reservation.

Read More

Lowcountry Ghost Stories ~ Part 3

Part 3 – Colleton County

lowcountry sc ghost stories
Jacksonboro Light image created by Carmen Pinckney.

Beaufort isn’t the only Lowcountry town with a famous light. The Jacksonboro Light is a scary destination east of Walterboro. A drive down Parker’s Ferry Road is an experience that most local teens make multiple times on dark, spooky evenings. Here’s the story of the Jacksonboro Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQzvdsDJELI

Long ago, the young daughter of the local preacher went missing along Parkers Ferry Road.  Her father searched throughout the night, using a lantern for light. Some say he was struck and killed by a car. Others report he was hit by a train. To this day, his form can be seen wandering along the dark and desolate road, swinging the lantern, and looking for his daughter. Locals claim if you park along the road and flash your headlights five times, you will hear the distant sound of a train and his ghostly lantern will appear from the darkness.

lowcountry sc ghost stories
Cottageville Cemetery image created by Carmen Pinckney.

Cottageville is a tiny town in Colleton County that lies on HWY 17-A. The community cemetery is reported to be one of the most haunted cemeteries in the state. It was built on donated land and bodies were moved here in the 1880s. Others were added over the years. The oldest remains and tombstone that was moved to the cemetery belong to Daisy Eleanor Ackerman, who was butted to death by a goat when she was just an infant. According to legend, if you drive around the cemetery three times, then park in the middle and flash your lights three times, you will awaken the dead. Ghostly figures will crawl from the earth and roam throughout the hallowed grounds.

lowcountry sc ghost stories

Edisto Island is home to one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in the country. Established in 1685, the churchyard is home to some very historic graves dating as far back as 1787. The church building that is in use today was constructed in 1831. Union troops occupied the island during the Civil War, forcing residents to flee. The Freedmen remained on the island and used the church during Reconstruction.

lowcountry sc ghost stories
Legare Mausoleum image by Carmen Pinckney.

The church graveyard contains the Legare Mausoleum. Visitors will notice that the beautiful final resting place is missing its door. That’s because the ghost that haunts the cemetery won’t leave the door alone!

lowcountry sc ghost stories
Legare Mausoleum image by Jessie Pinckney Webster.

Julia Seabrook Legare died in 1852 at the tender age of 23. Wife of John Berwick Legare and mother to Hugh, Julia was the first to be buried in the family crypt. She succumbed to a feverous diphtheria and was pronounced dead by the family physician. Julia was placed in the mausoleum and sealed inside behind a marble door. Tragically, her six-year-old son Hugh died two years later in 1854. When the door was opened, Julia’s body was found by the mausoleum door, having woken up from a deep coma. It was discovered that she died a second time trying to scratch her way out. After the horrific discovery was made, family members reburied her and once again sealed the door shut. The next morning the door was found open again. This happened several more times before the family, realizing it was Julia’s spirit opening the door, decided to leave the crypt open. By 1856, John died and joined his family in the crypt.

lowcountry sc ghost stories
Legare Mausoleum image by Carmen Pinckney.

Several methods were used over time to try to secure the door before the family finally gave up. Chains, locks, bricks and concrete were used, but the ghost of Julia would not let the door remain closed. Some believe Julia is standing guard, making sure no other family member is buried alive.


Four ghostly images were altered for your enjoyment! Did you find them? Happy Halloween! Stay tuned for the fourth installment of the Lowcountry Ghost Stories. Up next Hampton!

Read More

Forrest Gump’s Lowcountry | Film Locations

26 years ago, but just like yesterday!

Forrest Gump may have been filmed over 26 years ago (in and around Beaufort), but the movie has not diminished in popularity. We often get visitors into the welcome center at Frampton Plantation House that are eager to see the local movie locations. The movie was set in Greenbow, Alabama, but was actually filmed, for the most part, in the SC Lowcountry and Savannah. Several locations are not too far from our visitors center at I-95, Exit 33 and Hwy 17. MAP TO LOCATIONS.

During the movie, Forrest is compelled to go to the Four Square Gospel Church to pray for shrimp. These scenes were filmed in the tiny area of McPhersonville, at Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel (155 McPhersonville Rd.) This church was built in 1833 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

From Frampton Plantation, turn right onto Hwy. 17 and proceed north for 1.4 miles. Turn left onto Hwy 21/ 17-A towards Walterboro. Travel 5 miles, then slow down when you see the Harold’s Country Club sign. Turn left just before this locally famous restaurant onto Pocotaligo Rd. Continue 4.2 miles until you see Sheldon Chapel on the right. (This isn’t the church from the movie, but it is also historically significant.) Turn just before it and proceed slightly farther. The road ends at the church.  

To visit the town where Forrest grew up, head to Varnville, SC. Return to Pocotaligo Rd. and turn left. Travel 11.2 miles miles, then turn right onto Main St. When the road ends, turn right onto Hwy. 278/Gray’s Hwy. Continue for 4.1 miles. The road merges with SC 68. Continue to the left. Once you enter Varnville, turn right onto Main St.

The Gump House is no longer standing. It was built specifically for the movie. Since it was hastily built (not to code) it was dismantled after production. The entrance is still visible. It is on the 8,000-acre Bluff Plantation property. It only took two months to build the house, and only a handful of rooms were finished for filming.  Turn left from Main St. and travel down SC Hwy. 68 for 15.1 miles. Take a slight right onto Connely St. in Yemassee for .2 miles. Turn left onto Hwy 17-A and follow it for 3.6 miles. Next turn right onto Combahee Rd. The entrance will be 5.3 miles further at 3547 Combahee Rd. This property is privately owned, so please be respectful. Jenny’s house was also built on this property but was destroyed for the film.

The setting for Greenbow’s elementary school is the former Walterboro Academy. It now serves as the Colleton Civic Center. (506 East Washington Street, Walterboro.) This was the setting for the principle’s explanation of Forrest’s intelligence testing scores.  From Bluff Plantation, return 5.3 miles to Hwy 17-A and turn right. Travel toward Walterboro for 11.5 miles. Take a slight right onto S. Jeffries Blvd. In 1.8 miles turn right onto Hampton St. The destination will be .4 miles away on the right.

After you leave this scene, head to Beaufort via Hwy 21/Carteret St. The Woods Memorial Bridge connects Beaufort to Lady’s Island. This is the scene for the running bridge interview. This is not the mighty Mississippi, but the Beaufort River. This historic swing bridge connects Beaufort to the sea islands. It is one of a handful of swing bridges that still exist in the state. It’s also the home of the annual “Run, Forrest Run 5K”.

The house where Bubba lived is next on the tour. Continue across the bridge and just over a mile. Turn left at the light onto Sam’s Point Rd. Keep going through the traffic circle (take the second exit). Stay on Sam’s Point Rd. for six miles. Turn left onto Alston Rd. 145 Alston Rd. will be on the right. This 1,240 square foot house was built in 1940. Bubba’s grave site was constructed in the back yard. This is a private residence. Please be respectful. The water adjacent to the house is the Lucy Point Creek. That’s where the majority of the shrimp boat scenes.

Bubba’s momma was played by Dr. Marlena Smalls. This classically trained soprano founded Beaufort’s Gullah Festival and the Hallelujah Singers. Her singers were also featured in the movie. She is well-known for using music and stories to educate others about Lowcountry Gullah customs and beliefs.

To visit the Vietnam war scenes, return down Sam’s Point Rd. and back to Hwy 21. Turn left onto Hwy 21/Sea Island Pkwy. As you drive toward Hunting and Fripp Islands, notice the march and waterways. They should look familiar. You will also pass Gay Fish Company on the right. They supplied all the shrimp for the movie.

Their dock is also where Forrest paints ”Jenny” on his boat. The Gay Seafood boat “Miss Hilda” can be seen in the background of that scene. Docked shrimp boats paint a beautiful scene. Travel for 16.8 miles. You will drive past the entrance to Hunting Island State Park.

The boardwalk will be on the right. Park and walk along the boardwalk while you’re here. The war rescue scene that earns Forrest a medal happened inside the park at the lagoon.

The Ocean Creek Golf Course at Fripp Island was also the location for war scenes. The mountains and larger palm trees were added by special effects.

For more information on fun attractions in the SC Lowcountry visit https://southcarolinalowcountry.com/.

Movie images are screen shots from the film.

Read More

Bear Island Wildlife Management Area is a Birdwatcher’s Paradise

A bird-lover’s paradise

bear island wma
bald eagle
sc lowcountry
American Bald Eagle hunts over the waterways of Bear Island WMA.
Photo by Jim Killian.

If birding is your passion, Bear Island Wildlife Management Area is the place for you! This Lowcountry barrier island is managed  to provide quality habitat for wintering waterfowl and other wetland wildlife including threatened and endangered species such as wood storks and bald eagles. Here you’ll find a vast array of waterfowl, wading birds, shorebirds and songbirds. There are two observation platforms and miles of dikes that provide numerous wildlife viewing opportunities.

bear island wma
roseate spoonbille
sc lowcountry
Roseate Spoonbills are a favorite at Bear Island. Image by Kristin Baggett.

Bear Island is managed to provide quality waterfowl habitat and to protect local endangered and migratory non-game species. Public recreational opportunities are provided for hunting, nature observation and fishing. Explore thousands of acres containing managed impoundments at 27 different sites.

bear island wma
osprey
sc lowcountry
An Osprey searches for her next meal. Photo by Jim Killian.

Bear Island is a major wintering area for waterfowl as well as an important shorebird area during migration. It is also an important nesting area for Bald Eagles and a foraging area for wading birds including Wood Stork, Little Blue Heron, Snowy Egret, Great Egret, Tri-colored Heron, White Ibis and Glossy Ibis. Concentrations of migratory shorebirds include Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Dowitcher and Common Snipe. Shorebird concentrations are noted during times of pond drawdown associated with the waterfowl management program.

bear island wma
swans
sc lowcountry
Canadian Geese and Tundra Swans have been spotted at Bear Island. Photo by Jim Killian.

Bear Island is part of the ACE Basin estuarine reserve area and is managed by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. The area is open to the public from early February to late October and is a popular spot for hiking, biking, birding, and fishing. A wide variety of waterfowl species inhabit the area. The area shuts down periodically for special hunts.

bear island wma
belted kingfisher
sc lowcountry
A Belted King Fisher waits patiently on its perch. Photo by Jim Killian.

Bear Island is one of the best birding areas in the state. Be on the look-out for Canada Goose, Tundra Swan, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Green Heron, Black-crowned Night-Heron, White Ibis, Glossy Ibis, Wood Stork, Osprey, Bald Eagle, and Roseate Spoonbill. In addition to common birds of the Coastal Plain and the specialties listed above there is a long list of rarities that have been spotted here, including—among others—Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Eurasian Wigeon, Cinnamon Teal, Common Goldeneye, Eared Grebe, Roseate Spoonbill, Black Rail, American Avocet, Hudsonian Godwit, White-winged Dove, Barn Owl, Short-eared Owl, Western Tanager, and LeConte’s Sparrow.

bear island wma
heron
sc lowcountry
Herons are a common sight at Bear Island. Photo by Jim Killian.

The main part of Bear Island is open to birders Monday through Saturday, from 1 February through 14 October. At other times birders are restricted to areas right along Bennett’s Point Road, including Mary’s House Pond, which is just south of the residences by the main entrance. Do not go in to closed areas, even if the gate is not locked, or you risk getting a ticket.

bear island wma
egret
sc lowcountry
This egret makes a successful catch. Photo by Jim Killian.

The best birding is usually along the main unpaved road east from Bennett’s Point Road, called Titi Road. A good strategy is to park along Titi Rd and walk in along any of the many side roads. If you have time you might also want to check one or more of the roads that lead west from Bennett’s Point Road. It takes at least a day to enjoy the entire area.

Bear Island is located off Highway 17, between Edisto Island and Beaufort in Green Pond. From Hwy 17, turn onto Bennett’s Point Rd and travel 13 miles. The entrance is on the left, approximately 1 mile after crossing the Asheepoo River.

bear island wma
sc lowcountry
Wading birds of all sizes hunt and nest on Bear Island. Photo by Jim Killian.

 

Read More

See what our visitors love about the
SOUTH CAROLINA LOWCOUNTRY

Use the #hashtag #sclowcountry to get your image featured!

The Lowcountry & Resort Islands Region of South Carolina includes the four, southern-most counties in the state, Beaufort, Jasper, Hampton, and Colleton, which are bordered on the east by the Atlantic Ocean and on the west by the Savannah River and the state of Georgia.

The South Carolina Lowcountry Guidebook is filled with many things to see and do in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. Please fill out the information and we will send you a FREE GUIDE BOOK.

    Stay Up To Date

    Sign up for our newsletter!